IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Marginal areas how late have you or do you plant?

mdsonofthesouth

Latest I have ever planted anything was my first palm (chamaerops humilis) in early September, next latest were crepe myrtles in late august. How late have yall planted without I'll effect? Obviously warmer climates won't suffer as much as those of us with actual winters lol.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Generally, I can plant year round where I have irrigation lines. But on my unirrigated garden lot I try to plant stuff before the start of dry season in mid- to late-Oct so I'm not locked into hand watering while the plant adjusts.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

My first (and now largest) golden Malayan dwarf coconut I planted on a 30th of August. 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I generally have two planting seasons: early spring (March/April) and late fall (Oct/Nov). Keep in mind, i live in an arid, zone 9b. For most tropicals (including palms), I wait to plant in spring. The exceptions are palms that don't mind cool, wet conditions such as brahea, syagrus, parajubaea...

All other plants generally go in the ground in late fall to take advantage of the cool season rains to help establish them before the following year's heat sets in. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I generally have two planting seasons: early spring (March/April) and late fall (Oct/Nov). Keep in mind, i live in an arid, zone 9b. For most tropicals (including palms), I wait to plant in spring. The exceptions are palms that don't mind cool, wet conditions such as brahea, syagrus, parajubaea...

All other plants generally go in the ground in late fall to take advantage of the cool season rains to help establish them before the following year's heat sets in. 

I generally follow the same guidelines.  I have planted new stuff in December and January before, but it has to be stuff that is absolutely bulletproof here. 

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Am in a 8b zone so I get cold winters aswell. Latest I've planted was November /December but like kinzyjr said, palms have to be bullet proof. I was debating on planting a Brahea edulis & sabal pumos yesterday but decided not to. I'll plant them in March along with some other seedlings to give them all plenty of time to get established.

Ps I think the Brahea edulis would be fine to plant out now since we have 3-4 months before we start seeing night temperature under 32f. But I'll be patisn't :D

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Patient *

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Nothing I am going to plant is bullet proof. Was thinking mid to late September or put them in the garage at the end of December. I prefer spring plantation, but not a fan of garage keeping them over winter. Construction is months behind but hoping they will pick up the pace...

20180812_192407.thumb.jpg.7a36a825b2121d

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

The first adage I heard/read about palms, which actually stuck in my mind was: for every $5 dollar palm, make a $10 hole.  In my case, it's true. 

I had to remove the "native" soil for each coco plot with 3ft x3ft x 3ft  of coarse sand, mixed with a touch of azomite and topped off with 3/4" of Acme lava sand(I hope one of these days I get a kickback fer pluggin' 'em. Lol).  Just imagine, if the original owner of the Corona Coconut (Cali 9a) was in the forum. He would best any other members' anecdotal evidence presented. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

We have red clay here with rocks everywhere. The dirt you see is "diluted" with backfill from somewhere else. But I agree with the hole statement 100%

I don’t plant anything subtropical here after about mid July. Ideally I only plant in spring to take advantage of the cooler weather before the heat comes.  Without plenty of water and sometimes shade the dry, hot part of summer can be brutal.  Have lost many plants in summer before winter ever got a chance to test them!

• Upvote 2

I have lots of marginal plants I intend to plant in my strong 8a zone: Owari satsuma, Lila avocado, Canary Island Date Palm, red lime, 2 types of fig, pineapple guava.  They are ALL staying in containers until next April.  I am waiting til all chance of frost has passed to give them as much time to establish as possible and get a little more age on them in containers.  I will be exposing them to "cold" but not frigid temps.  I want them seeing some frosts to toughen them up, but not hard freezes.  It'll be a pain hauling them in and out for the winter, but it is better than them dying.  I would tell you to check yourself and try not to let over-excitement push you into a bad decision.

Edited by Anthony_B
  • Upvote 2

Just replaced a dead palm (due to rain and fungus) with this one. The soil amount had doubled when I potted it up and was already full of roots 3 months later! Sea kelp is amazing for roots! Planted it today and gave it another shot.

20180818_191157.thumb.jpg.7e9f4a89059a84

I planted my first Trachys on Nov 1,if your going to protect them over winter you can plant whenever

to some extent, they will need to stay on the dry side though in case there is root damage from planting.

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2018, 12:51:04, Anthony_B said:

I have lots of marginal plants I intend to plant in my strong 8a zone: Owari satsuma, Lila avocado, Canary Island Date Palm, red lime, 2 types of fig, pineapple guava.  They are ALL staying in containers until next April.  I am waiting til all chance of frost has passed to give them as much time to establish as possible and get a little more age on them in containers.  I will be exposing them to "cold" but not frigid temps.  I want them seeing some frosts to toughen them up, but not hard freezes.  It'll be a pain hauling them in and out for the winter, but it is better than them dying.  I would tell you to check yourself and try not to let over-excitement push you into a bad decision.

Some good points! Maybe I can find an easy way to store and bring them out on good days. While our winters can get downright cold! Mostly they are well above freezing with the average high in the coldest month being 42F give or take 2F. More than warm enough to keep my sagos in pots and outside for 10.5+ months, so hardy potted specimens should be fine. Some of them are quite heavy, so Ill see if there is a way I can put them on the cart and easily pull them in and out. Thanks for the reality check and motivation :D these plants, big box or not, deserve better. The one I just planted I had no choice, the spot just opened up and I had to have something filling that gaping hole and that palm had become terribly root bound in 2.5 months post potting it up so i feel it was ready. 

On 8/19/2018, 7:20:40, Jimhardy said:

I planted my first Trachys on Nov 1,if your going to protect them over winter you can plant whenever

to some extent, they will need to stay on the dry side though in case there is root damage from planting.

I will be doing a canopy for 3 palms this year 1 being this freshly planted trachycarpus fortunei and the others being my chamaerops since they recovered from a BAD winter experience.