IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potted coconut soil mixture

Rickybobby

This has been a tough one for. Was using promix hp with sand. The sand would just turn to muck and the water would sit there. I’ve thought of going to our family farm and getting sandy soil from there but many pesticides etc have been used in the area and I worry it will hurt the palm. I did worry because my original soil mix was rotting the very small top roots growing out of the trunk so I took the coco out of the pot. The main roots look very white and healthy. So I added in some bark nuggets wood mulch and pro mix. Now the Water drains through very well. Anyone else have any ideas for a potted coconut. 

Thanks 

834048EE-B8CE-4100-8498-A9BE01324DB4.jpeg

I used for my potted Cocos 100% granite grus (sandy loamy weathered granite) without any organic matter in standing water; and the Cocos babies in their habitat on Green Island / QLD are growing on 100% coral sand, also without any organic matter. But what they always need is WATER.

5b6f0a96e02e1_CocosnuciferaHD1977.thumb.

5b6f0a9aa3b24_CocosGreenIsland1979-08-06

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

So maybe buy some sand from an aquarium store which is crushed coral and add that in? Which mimicks a Caribbean beach? It’s doing well but the top roots seem to not like the current state 

Tried our farm sand soil today it didn’t drain well at all the water sat on top of it like the play sand. Took it back out. Using my combo of peatmoss mix. Wood mulch and bark nuggets. I get the water draining out of the pots very well with this combo and the pear moss takes up the large air gaps in between the bark

My coconut looks about the same age as yours, it’s growing in coconut coir + perlite in a 6 inch clay pot. This is my 3rd attempt at growing a coconut (the first two eventually had root rot) and I think the clay pot has helped tremendously.

65C8CB40-547A-4767-A467-4B4C817D29D7.jpeg

4 hours ago, cm05 said:

My coconut looks about the same age as yours, it’s growing in coconut coir + perlite in a 6 inch clay pot. This is my 3rd attempt at growing a coconut (the first two eventually had root rot) and I think the clay pot has helped tremendously.

65C8CB40-547A-4767-A467-4B4C817D29D7.jpeg

Nice coco ours are different species. I’m being proactive I dig down and the main roots looks white and very healthy. Just the small ones on the top don’t look great so I’ve switched it up so far so good 

I think you all are overthinking the issue. Just because coconuts in photos are growing on beach sand doesn't mean you have to recreate beach sand. They are not that fussy. I use a well draining potting mix with extra perlite - no sand. Most sand is so fine it compacts into a solid mass when wet, i.e., little to no drainage. If you must have sand, make it a coarse sand that approaches fine gravel. But just try to lift that pot.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I think you all are overthinking the issue. Just because coconuts in photos are growing on beach sand doesn't mean you have to recreate beach sand. They are not that fussy. I use a well draining potting mix with extra perlite - no sand. Most sand is so fine it compacts into a solid mass when wet, i.e., little to no drainage. If you must have sand, make it a coarse sand that approaches fine gravel. But just try to lift that pot.

Agree. Coconuts grow in many areas away from beaches.

Just keep the mix very well draining. Keep them WARM!

What I wanted to say with my two examples is: You don’t need any organic matter (humus) in your soil mix. If you add it you risk root rot (esp. during the dark season in our latitudes, different to FL) because you should keep your soil always wet (not only humid) and warm, as Meg already mentioned. My Cocos stood all its life always in c. 10 cm water (»wet feet«).

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums