Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Livinstona chinensis at big box store

6 posts in this topic

Found these in the houseplant section. They are still quite juvenile.

20180809_154243.jpg

They have 5 or 6 per pot. I carefully separated mine, and got 5 singles.

20180809_154459.jpg

20180809_154444.jpg

Good find, but I feel they are too slow for my taste. They are (low/small) trunk hardy here in zone 7 only trimmed a centimeter off for my taste in March and they popped out in April. If you're looking for a perennial palm try one!

14 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Good find, but I feel they are too slow for my taste. They are (low/small) trunk hardy here in zone 7 only trimmed a centimeter off for my taste in March and they popped out in April. If you're looking for a perennial palm try one!

Yeah, something to play with. I have already killed my share of these. They used to sell them at the big box stores in 3g pots for $5. I tried to find a nice micro-climate for several, to no avail. Eventually mine would just decline over the course of several years. Phoenix robellini is probably the only palm I have killed more of lol. I lost three this last winter. Keeps life interesting though, maybe this time I'll get the right spot.

Here are mine, I feel they are way too slow but a neat perennial none the less. Oh and don't mind the weeds we are blessed with good soil and everything grows fast and willingly....that and I'veĀ been out of town.

20180809_184533.thumb.jpg.27283655f59cf9