IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Palmetto

Laaz

The wife & I were out Saturday & decided to stop by the HL Hunley museum. Found this photo on the wall. During the war they built the forts with palmetto logs & pretty much wiped out the palmetto's here in Charleston.

1zdyqef.jpg

• Upvote 3

The reason its on the state flag is they used it to defend Charleston in the revolutionary war and is by far my favorite tree! Yup a plain Jane Sabal palmetto is my favorite plant lol. 

• Upvote 3

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I agree.   The sabals, trachycarpus, chamaerops, and rhapidophyllum  are the only genus that I can sleep soundly at night in winter and not ponder if they will freeze to death if not protected in my neck of the woods.  Not even with butia can I close both eyes....... :asleep:

• Upvote 1

It is good that they are back now. I wonder if any other Sabal palmetto populations were destroyed or severely decreased in South Carolina due to the war? 

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, jimmyt said:

I agree.   The sabals, trachycarpus, chamaerops, and rhapidophyllum  are the only genus that I can sleep soundly at night in winter and not ponder if they will freeze to death if not protected in my neck of the woods.  Not even with butia can I close both eyes....... :asleep:

Rhapidophyllum and sabal minor are the only ones I can do that with. Will be seriously testing my trachycarpus this winter. I am only protecting the chamaerops if we get an event as I'm pretty sure the slight burning and spear pull was due to the greenhouse baking my plants!

2 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It is good that they are back now. I wonder if any other Sabal palmetto populations were destroyed or severely decreased in South Carolina due to the war? 

Damn yankees ruin everything lol!

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

they were a huge symbol in the civil war for south Carolina surprisingly not used in Florida flags

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018, 4:18:10, PalmTreeDude said:

I don't know about South Carolina but here in North Carolina our sabal palmetto population was damaged due to fort building in the 19th century. Fort Macon and Fort Fisher were both constructed by palmetto logs. Extensive fort building may of been responsible for extirpating sabal palmettos north of Bald Head Island, in Dare, Hyde, Onslow, etc.

Edited by NC_Palms
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 8/13/2018, 4:55:46, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

they were a huge symbol in the civil war for south Carolina surprisingly not used in Florida flags

The sabal palmetto is on the Florida state seal 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 8/9/2018, 6:43:41, mdsonofthesouth said:

Damn yankees ruin everything lol!

ahahahahaha

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC