Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hot Water

14 posts in this topic

..This tweet from Scripps Oceanography today, and yesterday's SST readings via "State Of The Ocean" data from Southern CA. say it all..  Have been hearing about the 65+ Dew point readings across coastal San Diego county lately.   Data from the  State of the Ocean site is Sea Surface Temp. anomalies, not the actual temps recorded.

From Scripps twitter page..
DSCN4332.JPG.b27e22998ad1638f4667def6d48

State of the Ocean SST anomaly data from 8/2/2018 across S. Cal. 
DSCN4326.JPG.aa87747bff7f57fe32f64b142d0

With this summer's stubborn high pressure looking to set up on top of the region again over the weekend and possibly through all of next week.. could Scripps record that magic number of 80F? ..Must admit i'm a little envious regardless.

Keep in mind the Sea surface temp/anom. readings being seen atm are not El Nino related.. On a side note, north of Pt. Conception, current SST anomalies are normal or below normal (cold as heck).

-Nathan

Very interesting. How does this higher water temperature effect high and low temperatures? Does it effect humidity levels? I hope SD is not becoming “hot and humid without that wonderful feel of outdoor air conditioning”!

3 hours ago, bubba said:

Very interesting. How does this higher water temperature effect high and low temperatures? Does it effect humidity levels? I hope SD is not becoming “hot and humid without that wonderful feel of outdoor air conditioning”!

Funny you mention it, apparently the temperature didn't fall below 74F at the airport in San Diego last night, beating the 72F min. temp record recorded a that location back in 2014.

Another tweet from the San Diego NWS on Aug 2nd read something like " The temperature at 10:45am at San Diego Airport is 81F, doesn't sound too impressive but the dew point is 70deg, that would be muggy...."

From simple observation, id say the higher water temps would keep work to keep overnight lows across the coastal spots 2-5f ( maybe more) degrees warmer, especially when you add in the increased dew point / humidity readings... similar to what happens in Florida when there is just enough of a breeze to move that moisture onshore,  just on a more localized scale since once you get further inland, drier desert air mixing in when some of it moves west over the mountains in the evenings might beat back the moister air influence from the coast. 

When it has been around, it seems like the marine layer hasn't really had much effect on overnight temps, possibly helping to keep them up, if anything... Still, its impressive to look at the coming week's pin point forecasts for spots like Oceanside and Carlsbad, La Jolla and Coronado, and see suggested overnight lows in the mid-upper 60s to low 70s with or without a marine layer.  

Will be interesting to see what water temps do the rest of August / beginning of fall since there is still a few weeks to go before they normally peak in California, plus whatever influence the suggested turn towards El Nino might have ( adding more + warm water to the pipeline from down south, if it happens).

Fyi, for anyone wondering, no, even if water temps did hit and stay at / around 80F for a few weeks, the depth of the warmer water wouldn't be / doesn't currently appear to be enough to support a Hurricane.  Tropical storm..  better than average potential for heavy rain from such a system, if one approaches?.. possibly.  

As far as a trend, certainly a possibility but i myself want to see at least 5-7 more years of information before drawing any conclusions. Recent reports of Hammerhead Sharks, and yet another live Sea Snake (Yellow Bellied) turning up on a local beach ( Jan.11th, 2018. near the 18th street lifeguard tower, Newport Beach ) outside of El Nino-influenced conditions are intriguing however.

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile in the Chesapeake we are currently bellow average...

Capture.PNG.2adb43ef9f1f4935cf8c693ad0c1 

2.PNG.bcfc5db0be440fba93d969cfd7866273.P

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

I would prefer SD to continue “not muggy and with continued out door air conditioning”. If you want muggy, you can always travel inland to the Glades and hang out in Jerome, Frog City or Immokalee (in particular the shores of Lake Trafford just west of the prison).

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

I would prefer SD to continue “not muggy and with continued out door air conditioning”. If you want muggy, you can always travel inland to the Glades and hang out in Jerome, Frog City or Immokalee (in particular the shores of Lake Trafford just west of the prison).

:greenthumb: I'm sure many locals might agree, though i'm sure most are enjoying swimming / surfing in the water there this summer.. If you have ever had the  ..ahem, "pleasure"  of swimming in the Pacific along most of CA, and points north this time of year, you'd likely think a dip in the waves off Coronado were heaven at the moment..  Heck, i once thought a swim at La Jolla cove was "warm" when i visited back in the early 90's. Pretty sure water was only in the 60's at that time..

Compare that to spending most of my summers at the beaches in /around Santa Cruz where water temps were flirting with 60f, if your were lucky.. Even luckier were the days the fog didn't roll in by 5pm and you got to enjoy the beaches there under the stars..

As far as Florida, yes.. no doubt the many trips made to some nurseries near you were sweaty.. let alone exploring John Pennekamp St. Park with a bad sunburn acquired in Venice while following the Tamiami down the west coast to Key Largo years ago.  Still, i do miss being able to walk / run the beach at 12am on Treasure island when i lived in Largo however..

Silas,

All your points are spot on. You know the territory. As a Floridian, I understand and agree with your point on surprisingly cold Pacific water temperature and it’s effect when you are sporting in it. Got ankle deep a few years ago while staying at the Del in the middle of summer before a 180.

I take for granted perfect turquoise warm ocean water year round and great coral reefs. Waves are not Pacific style except when Hurricanes churn off Carolinas. I do not understand how Florida can produce a Kelly Slater.

The “out door air conditioning”effect and lack of muggy conditions in California is boldacious for a Florida boy. It is perfection for me. The grass is always greener!

Another day, another SST record broken.  Water temp of 79.34F / 26.3C off Scripps Pier today.

Last week I was working inland near where I live and apparently it was 105 and the dew point was 78. Sure felt like it. I'm used to dry here.

17 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Last week I was working inland near where I live and apparently it was 105 and the dew point was 78. Sure felt like it. I'm used to dry here.

I saw that Imperial was in the 90's, with a 79-80Deg Dew Point at 2am yesterday ..a heat index of 106F.. at 2am:blink: Yuck!

We actually cooled off (was only 102F,  some call that "sweatshirt weather" here, lol) yesterday. Maybe only 100 today. Received *actual* rainfall at the house and had one heck of an electrical storm Tuesday night. Set 4 houses and some Washingtonias ablaze over in Mesa / Gilbert.

Round 2 last night produced sprinkles at the house but winds in the 60-75mph range. The Mesquite in our front yard was moving around as though a 300lb Linebacker were trying to push it over.  Was bad enough that there were waves of dust / sand blowing over the street, almost the same effect you'd see in a Whiteout during a Blizzard. Could hear chain saws going around 11pm down by the Hospital. Looked like someones car parked over there got damaged also. 

Round 3 possible tonight. Storm Predtn. Cntr. has us under a "slight risk" for severe storms.. Haven't seen them put us under the "Yellow" category in awhile. Could be interesting.

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I saw that Imperial was in the 90's, with a 79-80Deg Dew Point at 2am yesterday ..a heat index of 106F.. at 2am:blink: Yuck!

We actually cooled off (was only 102F,  some call that "sweatshirt weather" here, lol) yesterday. Maybe only 100 today. Received *actual* rainfall at the house and had one heck of an electrical storm Tuesday night. Set 4 houses and some Washingtonias ablaze over in Mesa / Gilbert.

Round 2 last night produced sprinkles at the house but winds in the 60-75mph range. The Mesquite in our front yard was moving around as though a 300lb Linebacker were trying to push it over.  Was bad enough that there were waves of dust / sand blowing over the street, almost the same effect you'd see in a Whiteout during a Blizzard. Could hear chain saws going around 11pm down by the Hospital. Looked like someones car parked over there got damaged also. 

Round 3 possible tonight. Storm Predtn. Cntr. has us under a "slight risk" for severe storms.. Haven't seen them put us under the "Yellow" category in awhile. Could be interesting.

Man living in Vegas that was one of my favorite things was the monsoons. Sometimes they can be downright scary but amazing at the same time. I have a slight chance at seeing a thunderstorm in my area the next few days and I hope we get one. About a month ago we had some nice lighting but no rain. Seemed like it just went around my city.

9 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Man living in Vegas that was one of my favorite things was the monsoons. Sometimes they can be downright scary but amazing at the same time. I have a slight chance at seeing a thunderstorm in my area the next few days and I hope we get one. About a month ago we had some nice lighting but no rain. Seemed like it just went around my city.

Agree, when it decides to rain, instead of just throwing around dust, Monsoon season is great, especially the smell of the Creasote Bush after the rains clear out.  Pouring atm with lots of lightning. Am hoping everyone out there gets in on more action also, A, to help w/ the fires, and also get some water for everyone's gardens. I know all of S. cal did almost as bad, if not worse as we did last winter, rainfall-wise.. Hoping this winter is wet. 

Btw, just saw.. water off Scripps Pier hit 79.5F earlier and the outer Buoy off Torrey Pines clocked an SST reading of 81.3F at 5:30pm Will be a record for anywhere in CA. coastal waters if confirmed. Crazy..

Are these water temperatures making it very humid there? We have the same water temperatures here in New York and it’s felt like a jungle.

4 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Are these water temperatures making it very humid there? We have the same water temperatures here in New York and it’s felt like a jungle.

From all the reports i have seen, and talking to family friends in the area, it seems so. San Diego has been breaking overnight low records ( warmer than normal ) since the start of the month. Thinking areas further north along the Orange County / Los Angeles County coastal spots have been close as well though it seems, at least according to the NWS in San Diego, and Daniel Swain's ( Author of the Weather West Blog) twitter feed, San Diego has been the "hot" spot atm..  I'll have to look at the NWS Los Angeles Twitter page to see if they too are seeing the same recent increase in their low temps ( id imagine so). 

The 81.3f water temp. report id posted on yesterday came from Robert Krier, a Weather writer / Editor for the San Diego Union Tribune.

Looking at the latest data from the State of the Ocean website, the biggest SST anomalies across the country appear to be off the S. Cal. / N-Cen. Baja coast. Current water temp and anomaly data is delayed by roughly 24 hours so if you look over it, yesterday would be the last update. Sticks out like a sore thumb. On that note, water temp anoms. around FL. are running between +1 and -1.5C or so, Same w/ most of coastal TX.   

Originally stumbled on State of the Ocean while looking over twitter updates form another climatologist i follow. Neat site.