IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My potted palms and soil issues

Rickybobby

Ok so my potted palms I have shown In numerous pics and whines all came from Florida and came in nursery specific soil. The palms seemed to be doing very well. They were all potted up just slightly ever so slightly to decorative pots. I used pro mix hp. Which is peat moss mix and perlite. I understand the soil issues people talk about on this site. I’m struggling to find a lot of the ingredients. I have a lead on clay pebbles. (Very expensive it seems as well for the numerous palms I have) the fine pine bark chips don’t seem to exist here. More like large mulch nuggets. Too large. So my rant. I live in Ontario Canada. When I add some pro mix to the tops of the palms when I plant them up it doesn’t stay soaked at all but very moist and a lot of the roots that are growing near the surface of the palm seem to have some rot near the ends. If I dig down deeper toward the edge of the pots the roots are growing and nice and white. And can’t dig in the middle cause there’s to many roots. Which is a good thing. So what else can I do? Do you guys Recommend mixing in some play sand beach sand? To help dry the soil out a little faster? My coconut which is in a 3 gallon pot has some slight root rot on the top as well. It’s my baby and I don’t want to hurt it so I have mixed some play sand in the soil to help keep it not so wet. Is this a good step? Should I get the clay pebbles and mix them in? Or am I just too wet in between intervals. 

Thanks everyone 

rob

Seramis doesn’t exist here. Most of these things you guys use is not on shelves here. 

You should be able to get 'Turface MVP' in Ontario . It is similar to Seramis.

It is in that link above that Merc gave you.

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

3 hours ago, gtsteve said:

You should be able to get 'Turface MVP' in Ontario . It is similar to Seramis.

It is in that link above that Merc gave you.

Thank you I think I have found some it’s tough here 

Look on ebay for Turface MVP

They will send it to nearly anybody from ebay.... just not to Australia unfortunately.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I recently bought some Turface off ebay to repot my Lytocaryum hoehnii and will work up a soil mix

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.