IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Saving my Rhapidophyllum hystrix

GTClover

Dividing my Needle Palm

Hi PalmTalk friends, I posted this thread http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/30138-can-potted-palms-be-root-pruned/ in 2011 about my  Rhapidophyllum hystrix needing to be ‘maintained’ in a ‘smaller’ pot.  At the time it was in a 22” pot.  Now it’s in a 32” X 20” pot and it’s become too big to maneuver in & out of the house &my husband is in revolt.   It was my very first palm & arrived in 2001 in a 2 gal pot from Gerry’s Jungle (not sure if it’s still around).   Is there any way it can be divided?  It has at least 6 ‘babies’ but the only way I could physically manage the division would be with something like a sawsall!  Thoughts & opinions gladly entertained!

Then

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pIZPbamg-2Y/TnS7caial8I/AAAAAAAAEHs/npEnu3duLfI/s512/DSCN1176.JPG

Fall 2017 (see attached)

Palm#2.jpg

Palm#3.jpg

Palm#4.jpg

RIMG1949.jpg

Edited by GTClover
  • Upvote 2

A possible alternative: If you have a garage or another area with a bigger door, you can put the pot in a wagon or cart and move it in and out pretty easily by hand or with a tractor.

As far as dividing them, others have much more experience than I do, but I think the key is making sure you get a good root ball with each sucker you remove from the clump.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thank you!  Unfortunately our garage can regularly below 0 F and even if it didn't there just isn't enough room in there either....   I knew this would happen at some point, but it's sad.  Hopefully I can save a piece of it!  

You can split needles but it will take patience and a lot of water to completely wash all of the soil off of the roots.  If you have a lot of circling roots it will make splitting them next to impossible.

That's a tough one Pal Meir.  We were supposed to be building a sun room this Fall, but other financial issues have come to the fore and it will be delayed.  I also have 3 Bismarckias that I grew from seed that really need to be potted up (plus many others).  So it's going to be another fight for space & sun in our house this winter.  I'll post some photos of my Bizzy's and the upcoming re-potting jamboree!

Photos of my Bismarckias & Other larger palms; most need to be potted up.

#1 Bismarchia seeds germinated Oct 2011.  Picked up at Moxeys Nursery 5/2010.  Currently in a 18X15”

#2 Bismarchia  Germinated Dec 2011.  Picked up at Moxeys Nursery 5/2010 Currently in a 17X15”

#3 Bismarchia Germinated Jun  2012 Picked up at Moxeys Nursery 5/2012 Currently in a 14X12” Nursery size #10

# 4 Brahea Armata 20” pot

#5 1 Sabal ursesana Nursery size #10

#6 1 Sabal Palmetto Nursery size 16X15”

Front yard

#1 Chamaerops humilis 'Cerifera' 20” pot

#2 & 3 Latania loddigesi (only 1 visible)

#4  Pseudophoenix sarg/vini (not sure because I had both & lost the tags & 1 died)

Back Patio IMG_20180803_092247840.jpg

Front # 1 IMG_20180803_092406592.jpg

Edited by GTClover
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hey I finally repotted my huge (36” pot) R. hystrix.  We decided to use a Sawzall to make the first cuts but after that I worked on the pieces with a hose to tease various chunks apart.  I made up 7 pots.  The largest being 22” the smallest is a 2 gal.  The last piece my husband wanted to put in the ground.  He’s going to cover it & protect it with hay.  Maybe it’ll survive if we have a mild winter, but I doubt it.  This was all done in early Aug and all but the littlest are pushing new spears!  I am hoping to give some away so if anyone wants to drive to VT you are welcome to them!  & Thank you palm-talkers for giving me the courage to attempt this!  I also potted up all 3 of my Bismarckia that I grew from Bahamian seeds.

Right now I’m on Green Turtle Cay Bahamas where my Bottle Palm has finally decided to bloom!

Rhapidophyllum hystrix Before 1.jpg

Repotting R hystrix 1.jpg

Repotting R hystrix 2.jpg

Repotting R hystrix 6.jpg

Repotting R hystrix 5_v1.JPG

Repotting R hystrix 7.jpg

Edited by GTClover
  • Upvote 2

I have more pics if anyone wants to see the finished project, but can't seem to upload them...  I reduced the ones above so it shouldn't be more than 8MB.  Or is the limit 8MB in the whole thread?

30 minutes ago, GTClover said:

I have more pics if anyone wants to see the finished project, but can't seem to upload them...  I reduced the ones above so it shouldn't be more than 8MB.  Or is the limit 8MB in the whole thread?

The limit is 8MB per post.  Might as well share the rest :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Good work.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.