IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

a cold sensitive silver-blue form of Bismarckia nobilis

Eric in Orlando

This Bismarckia is growing in Rockledge, FL, just south of Cocoa on the west side of the Indian River Lagoon. It is interesting as it seems to be one of those tender, cold sensitive forms even though it is not a green leaf form. It is also a thinner specimen. Lots of other Bismarckia planted in the area and none with cold damage. Even the coconuts, royals, bottles and Adonidia around here look good. I remember in the early to mid 1990s when Bismarcks were first being planted there were specimens that would show severe burn below about 30F even though they were silver blue and not green. (Also, it is definitely a Bismarckia and not a Latania.)

DSC_3697.JPG

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 3 months later...

This Bismarckia is growing in Rockledge, FL, just south of Cocoa on the west side of the Indian River Lagoon. It is interesting as it seems to be one of those tender, cold sensitive forms even though it is not a green leaf form. It is also a thinner specimen. Lots of other Bismarckia planted in the area and none with cold damage. Even the coconuts, royals, bottles and Adonidia around here look good. I remember in the early to mid 1990s when Bismarcks were first being planted there were specimens that would show severe burn below about 30F even though they were silver blue and not green. (Also, it is definitely a Bismarckia and not a Latania.)

Eric in Orlando:

Could this be a hybrid of the blue and green forms. I've seen them here in Jacksonville and they behave the same as this one./howfam

Edited by howfam

Interesting to read confirmation of the existence of the cold sensitive  blue silver bismarckia.  I had one of these, planted at my parents old house, purchased in 1997.  The leaves burned severely the second temperatures went even a touch below freezing.  So it defoliated in my suburban Orlando location virtually every year, but grew out of the damage very quickly by summer.

Conversely, some disagree that the blue/silver form is hardier.  See the comment by @edbrown_III on this thread: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/57642-dumbest-things-youve-heard-about-palms/

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Cold hardiness can vary in silver blue forms. I don't hear much about them burning easily and most of these tender specimens now are larger palms. They seemed to be more common back in the early to mid 1990s when Bismarckia were first becoming commonly available. Central Florida had some upper 20s freezes back then and some Bismarckia burned bad and others untouched. As has been mentioned before, seedlings can have a purple coloring and supposedly the more purple coloring the more cold hardy and intensely silver colored the palm will be. I think what is mostly being grown now is the more cold hardy forms. I have never heard of a cold hardy green form. Those will burn below 30F but always come back.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a