IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help needed for CIDP

JackCane

Hi guys I was a member here about 6 yrs ago when I bought my first lot of palms & got some great advice, I now need help again as I fear my CIDP is dying, this had been in a pot for around 4 yrs but 2 yrs ago I put it into a newly installed bed that I made sure had good drainage with lots of sand/loose chippings & topsoil, all of my other palms are fine but on the CIDP all the new growth is brown (see pics) this is in a south facing garden in Hull, E.Yorks, I sprinkler my lawn maybe three times a week while the weather is like it is & it does reach the bed that the CIDP sits in, could it be a case of too much water? But as I said I made sure I had good drainage when I built the bed, can it be save or have I lost my CIDP?photo.php?fbid=10204798753846451&set=a.1

Edited by JackCane

Sorry I can’t seem to upload the pics as it says 8mb limit, it’s taken in an iPhone & I can’t seem to lower the res, the link was to a Facebook post regarding the same issue but doesn’t work either, I’d be grateful if anybody could give me some ideas just from reading my post

thanks in advance

jack

doesnt look good and i would guess its toast. If the sprinklers are reaching the top of the palm it probably is a case of rot. Irrigation water is no good sitting in the crown. 

Edited by Stevetoad
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Thanks, I feared as much, very disappointed I love that Palm but on the upside I’ve got lovely luscious green grass :-)

• Upvote 1

Just now, JackCane said:

Thanks, I feared as much, very disappointed I love that Palm but on the upside I’ve got lovely luscious green grass :-)

and some free space to plant something new. 

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

That CIDP is much too close to the fence - they get huge. Plant its replacement out toward the center of the yard.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That CIDP is much too close to the fence - they get huge. Plant its replacement out toward the center of the yard.

Good point. Could be a massive fence post though. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hope that fence has a cement wall behind it.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Looking at your climate, it seems too damp and chilly for a Phoenix canariensis. They can withstand some cold in the winter as long as you have enough heat in the summer for good growth. They will grow in places like San Francisco that have cool weather most of the time but are still a zone 9b. SF is a zone 10a. They’ll grow in lower zones perhaps to 8b that have lots of summer heat. 6A86E606-DE69-42CA-9C05-142B05E37CB8.thu

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It looks more like damage from the cold winter/spring, often damage doesn't show up until later in the summer. As Jim said Hull is a bit too cold for Phoenix canariensis & they will not be long term palms in your location. Maybe better to keep a replacement in a pot so you can take it under cover if very cold weather is expected.

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

We did have the Beast from the East hit us during April, thanks for all the replies, I’ll see how it goes but will probably have to replace & with something smaller so as not to damage the fencing :-0

If you find it, you can try a Juania australis. If it can grow in Ireland to maturity (http://www.earlscliffe.com/juania_australis.htm), you might have a good chance (maybe still minor) as well . Imo it is more suitable to your climate than the cidp which surely wants more heat than your location can provide. And it is indeed smaller and won't damage your fence;).

7 hours ago, LivistonaFan said:

If you find it, you can try a Juania australis. If it can grow in Ireland to maturity (http://www.earlscliffe.com/juania_australis.htm), you might have a good chance (maybe still minor) as well . Imo it is more suitable to your climate than the cidp which surely wants more heat than your location can provide. And it is indeed smaller and won't damage your fence;).

Juania are only suitable for growing in the very mildest parts of the UK & Ireland, many have tried them in other areas but they didn't survive.

• Upvote 2

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

12 hours ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Juania are only suitable for growing in the very mildest parts of the UK & Ireland, many have tried them in other areas but they didn't survive.

Okay thank you for the information. I thought they just haven´t tried them in these areas:lol:. In Ireland the Juania has survived -7.5 °C  in its first year without damage and the record low temperature of Hull is  -11.1°C measured over 30 years ago. Therefore I guessed an eventually mature specimen would survive such an event with just minor damage. At least I would try it there if I could find a cheap seed source. (I am even tempted to try them here in Germany, but of course with protection)

Juania isn't cheap in any form.

Meg

Florida

Juania isn't cheap in any form.

Meg

Florida

On 7/24/2018, 1:29:45, LivistonaFan said:

Okay thank you for the information. I thought they just haven´t tried them in these areas:lol:. In Ireland the Juania has survived -7.5 °C  in its first year without damage and the record low temperature of Hull is  -11.1°C measured over 30 years ago. Therefore I guessed an eventually mature specimen would survive such an event with just minor damage. At least I would try it there if I could find a cheap seed source. (I am even tempted to try them here in Germany, but of course with protection)

The famous Juania at Earlscliffe seems to be the exception to the rule, as they have died at higher temperatures elsewhere, don't forget that Ireland is further west than Hull, so is not exposed to the very cold daytime temperatures & cold winds that can blow off the continent during winter. As Meg said Juania are not cheap & are very rare, sometimes young plants & seeds are available but be prepared to pay a lot for them.

• Upvote 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a