IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When to pot up seedlings?

Rickybobby

Currently have about 50 various seedlings 

my first batch that sprouted in March are Phoenix dactylifera all of which in. Beer cups. Do I wait for the roots to push out from the. Bottom and top or what? If I do take one out currently there wrapped around the bottom

B5819BF0-EA36-459A-9182-B75B81E0D38A.jpeg

Edited by Rickybobby

For the date seedling in the picture shown, you could probably pot it up to a one gallon. Every species of palm have different requirements, but the date you're holding loves to have room to expand it's roots. Rule of thumb with growing palms from seed is to not inhibit it from maximizing its root system. The more roots = more surface area to absorb nutrients/water. 

Hi Rob,

totally agree, repot the seedlings. At this age it's not a problem anymore especially when the root ball is so strong..

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Here a date palm seedling in a small Ø12xH10cm pot (1983) and the same palm repotted in a slightly larger Ø12xH12cm pot almost one year later (1984). It depends on your facilities if you will use containers as small as possible or larger ones.

5b51055aac886_Phoenixdactylifera83N01-01

5b51056452483_Phoenixdactylifera84N01-01

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

12 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Here a date palm seedling in a small Ø12xH10cm pot (1983) and the same palm repotted in a slightly larger Ø12xH12cm pot almost one year later (1984). It depends on your facilities if you will use containers as small as possible or larger ones.

5b51055aac886_Phoenixdactylifera83N01-01

5b51056452483_Phoenixdactylifera84N01-01

I have a landscape friend. He lets me take whatever I need for nursery pots. Needles to say I have at least 100 here at home access to hundreds more. Ok will do my little babies are growing up

2 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Rob,

totally agree, repot the seedlings. At this age it's not a problem anymore especially when the root ball is so strong..

Eckhard

How did you know my name is really rob? Lol

Your profile shows your real name (at least if you put in the correct information).

Same experience here, the bigger the pot, the more roots can be developed, the faster the palm grows. Date palms typically develop lots of roots and pots become too small fast. However, especially date palms do not mind cutting those roots back later on.

Frank

@Rickybobby Phoenix are pretty forgiving when it comes to grade change.  As the others have mentioned, each plant has different requirements.  Phoenix dactylifera can be repotted almost anytime.  They prefer to have deeper pots rather than wider pots.  I personally use old Starbucks plastic cups (venti or trenta) as starter pots, then move them to either a 1 gallon pot or straight into the ground.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

As I guess that you can’t plant the dates into the ground in Ontario you should try to grow them in containers you can handle easily even after a couple of years. Here an example of an almost 20 years old date palm held so small as possible:

5b520d7656eb6_Phoenixdactylifera1977-04-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 2018-07-20, 12:28:58, Pal Meir said:

As I guess that you can’t plant the dates into the ground in Ontario you should try to grow them in containers you can handle easily even after a couple of years. Here an example of an almost 20 years old date palm held so small as possible:

5b520d7656eb6_Phoenixdactylifera1977-04-

20 years that’s crazy and impressive. It would be great to enjoy them for years along with my friends and family whom I will be giving some too

• 3 years later...

I germinated a Dactylifera 6 weeks ago and it is already pushing out the bottom of a super narrow 7 inch tall pot

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:40 PM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

I germinated a Dactylifera 6 weeks ago and it is already pushing out the bottom of a super narrow 7 inch tall pot

They are so fast and easy congrats 

• Like 1