IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mediterranean Fan Palm Survived With No Protection

PalmTreeDude

I did not protect my Mediterranean Fan Palm at all this past winter (which was a really bad one here) and none of the suckers died. The middle trunk died the first winter I had it a few years ago. I just now got the idea to post a picture of it so here they are. 

20180718_140620.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Added Pictures

PalmTreeDude

You should consider removing the turf in a 2' diameter circle around the palm and placing mulch. All that grass will suck up water and nutrients meant for the palm.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 7/18/2018, 4:08:48, Rickybobby said:

We’re the lows and how long did they last?

The low that I recorded at my house was 7 degrees F. We had the longest time below freezing that I have ever seen here for about a week. Most nights were around 14 degrees F during that. They got burned at around 15 degrees. 

16 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

You should consider removing the turf in a 2' diameter circle around the palm and placing mulch. All that grass will suck up water and nutrients meant for the palm.

Yes! I need to do that, I have been putting it off for a while but I'll probably do it this weekend. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos

PalmTreeDude

On 7/19/2018, 6:01:35, PalmatierMeg said:

This, very much this! I have seen grass and weeds leech and stunt plants. My yuccas around the side are a testament to that. I went away for vacation for 2 weeks one yucca was engulfed in weeds while the same type next to it with only a few grew significantly more during a spurt. I am blessed with good soil and I don't herbicide the beds...yet. But Im seriously thinking of using preen or some kind of pre-emergent in light doses.

@PalmTreeDude Nice palm! Mine saw single digits but mostly defoliated this past winter and even pulled. Thankfully all trunks came back and even flowered. Chamaerops is far hardier than I originally thought. After its first winter seeing around sub 15f I thought it was tough, but after this past winter it has earned its spot in my gardens forever and cannot wait to plant the one I have in a pot. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I just cut around them this afternoon. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

We lost a silver med fan with 6' of trunk at the entrance to the nursery this year. 

44 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

We lost a silver med fan with 6' of trunk at the entrance to the nursery this year. 

Dang, that sucks. I heard the silver ones were less cold hardy, is this true?

PalmTreeDude

The silver ones are more cold hardy but they do need the soil to be dry. A cold, wet winter and they are probably toast.

Regards Neil

Silver are a LOT more cold hardy.  It got a fungus infection in February and never overcame it. 

I had them mixed up, my bad. Maybe I would have been better off planting a silver form (but I would need to keep it dry). The center trunk of mine rotted away (and had some nasty looking bugs in it) after the first winter. The sucker's kept surviving the winters though. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

My silver was always hardier but this past winter was too much for it to handle and it died, it was in a clay pot on the porch. I thought it being dry would help it live but it didn't because the rootball froze solid. I'm sure it would have survived if it were in the ground because I lost my sabal minor and rhapidophyllums that were potted also. 

Edited by Brad Mondel

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.