IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What happened to the palm?

avanza

We had something very similar, it was a fungus, we sprayed with a fungicide, top and bottom of the leaves and avoided wetting the leaves with water if possible. After a few years it has finally stopped and our palm (Cocothrinax something) is now looking good. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

If it is on the older foliage, then I would call this classic potassium deficiency.  This frond will not recover.  Application of potassium will help to prevent this problem on newer growth. :) 

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

Since all your palms have same problem,it could be heavy usage of fertz,watering the palms with chlorinated municipal water,hard water from deep bore-well.And i assume you do not spray water on the palms to clean the dust from the crown area.Even if regular water is not done in drought season could burn/dry the leaves in high humidity tropical regions.

And we like to know wheather those palms are under regular fertz schedule.If so does it get enriched with micro/macro nutrients.But if the palms have not seen fertz for a long time i think feeding it with all palm fertilizer or Osmocote Plus slow release fertz could help a lot.

Your 'Copernicia' Hospita palms love lots of water regularly..I still feel that your palms need good and regular watering.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

BTW. All those palms have grass on its feet.kindly remove it.And if lawn fertz is feed to the lawn and plams,which are high in nitrogen could also be the cause for potassium deficiencies.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

1 hour ago, avanza said:

IMG_1616.thumb.JPG.4dd2a64a683ac061927b4

i think new leaves

Older leaves. New leaves look green and healthy.

Copernicias love Potassium. You must feed them with a fert rich in Potassium and Magnesium.

And if this, is not a big problem for you, keep the older leaves until they will be fully brown. The palms takes the Potassium in the older leaves before they will be brown. If you cut "early" the old leaves, you are removing the Potassium.

In your climate, following these advices, your palms will be healthy in one year.

I love your palms! You are lucky, Copernicias are one of the nicer palms in the world.

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 2

The best macro nutrient ratio  (NPK) for palms is  3-1-3,  or any higher level with about the same ratio, such as 12-4-12.  Also, frequent small applications of fertilizer are better and safer than large applications.  Palms can be damaged by  large doses of synthetic salt fertilizers.  Potassium deficiency is the most common problem because it is water soluble and is leached out by heavy rain or irrigation.

Here in the USA we can use an organic product for safe and slow-release potassium.  This is called 'greensand' or glauconite.  It is a natural product from ancient ocean sediments. It is extracted from deposits in New Jersey.  My most recent purchase was sourced from Russia.  I don't know if this is available in Thailand. :)

Here is a link for additional information.....http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep273

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California