IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a Datura wrightii? Or maybe Brugmansia?

Fusca

A few months ago I noticed a "weed" growing in my large container with a Chamaedorea cataractarum.  I almost pulled it out, but it looked cool so I decided to let it grow and see what it turned into.  It flowered this weekend and it has long white trumpet flowers.  They appear to open up at night pointing upwards and then point down similar to angel's trumpet.  Is that what this is?  I have not seen one personally in a few years so perhaps a seed was dropped there by a bird?  I can't imagine how it got there, but I like it!

Jon

002.JPG

003.JPG

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

A few months ago I noticed a "weed" growing in my large container with a Chamaedorea cataractarum.  I almost pulled it out, but it looked cool so I decided to let it grow and see what it turned into.  It flowered this weekend and it has long white trumpet flowers.  They appear to open up at night pointing upwards and then point down similar to angel's trumpet.  Is that what this is?  I have not seen one personally in a few years so perhaps a seed was dropped there by a bird?  I can't imagine how it got there, but I like it!

Jon

002.JPG

003.JPG

Yes, Datura for sure.. Easiest way to tell these from Brugmansia (and Iochroma) is flowers on Datura point up, the others open pointing down. Considered a Perennial but dies back in the Fall. If you decide to move it while still green, wear gloves... All parts of the plant are highly toxic. You can also wait until it goes dormant in the fall and place it elsewhere. You see these a lot in "Monsoon Gardens" here in the Desert among other stuff that grows and flowers during the summer / fall.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks Nathan.  I wasn't sure about it since the flowers were pointing up at times and down at times.  I'll definitely move it in the fall - don't want to crowd out the cat palm (although I'm sure it doesn't mind all of the watering it's getting!)

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

On 7/17/2018, 7:01:38, Fusca said:

Jon

The leaves on my datura have a strong odor where my brumansias have little or no odor

The leaves on y daturas are more pointed than yours

imagenes/solanaceae/DaturaWrightii.jpg

Remember that they are very toxic as are brugmansias

My pink brugmansias are flowering right now

brug.jpg.32f6699f1c697d2830716f1996b7acc

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

34 minutes ago, GDLWyverex said:

The leaves on my datura have a strong odor where my brumansias have little or no odor

The leaves on y daturas are more pointed than yours

imagenes/solanaceae/DaturaWrightii.jpg

Remember that they are very toxic as are brugmansias

My pink brugmansias are flowering right now

brug.jpg.32f6699f1c697d2830716f1996b7acc

Richard

Your Datura looks like D. stramonium, Jimsonweed. 

Here is a white one

WhiteBrug.jpg.40edbb15c3af0cd5f8fd9c0135

I'll post a yellow as soon as it opens

Richard

1 hour ago, GDLWyverex said:

Here is a white one

Very nice.  :)  Flower definitely looks similar to mine but not quite as long and slight differences in foliage.  Haven't noticed any odor with mine either.  I now have some seed pods developing.  Do your flowers open at night like mine?  I only notice mine open early in the morning when I leave for work.  This won't be anything I will make a salad with!  But I'll have to see where I can grow it in the garden.

Jon Sunder

This is probably Datura inoxia. Most Datura, including Datura stramonium (prominently) have jagged edge leaves. D. stramonium also traditionally is lavender / purple, and only rarely white. 

GDL - just for clarification; yours is a Brugmansia. Brugmansia is more of a "tree" while Datura is more of a small "herbaceous plant." The flowers and leaves on Brugmansia are also markedly larger. 

Somebody mentioned them going "dormant." I don't know what they do down "South" but they are normally considered annuals, and re-seed themselves. I've had colonies in my Massachusetts garden come up every year from seeds. I eventually got rid of them because I always have cats and didn't want to take the risk as (both) are highly toxic, yes. 

12 hours ago, Fusca said:

Very nice.  :)  Flower definitely looks similar to mine but not quite as long and slight differences in foliage.  Haven't noticed any odor with mine either.  I now have some seed pods developing.  Do your flowers open at night like mine?  I only notice mine open early in the morning when I leave for work.  This won't be anything I will make a salad with!  But I'll have to see where I can grow it in the garden.

The foliage on my datura has a strong, unpleasant odor while the flowers have a strong very nice odor, similar, though not as strong as plumerias. The datura flowers smell strongly when they open a night. The foliage of the Brumansias, formerly called floropundias, do not have a noticible odor while the long flute like flowers have an odor when they open at night.

The flowers of the brugmansias are said to relieve foot ache when placed in the shoe of the offending foot.

I have a hurd, 50 or so, of guinea pigs that run wild  in the garden, and they seem to know what to eat and what not to eat. They wont touch the datura, brugmansia, araceae of any sort nor the crinum asiaticums. while they view the majority of the garden as a huge buffet. I have to take great care to keep things away from them if I don't want them eaten. Luckily they are not climbers and can not reach more than a foot and a half from ground level in their culinary pursuits.. They keep the asparagus well trimed.

The daturas are absolutely annuals while the brugmansias appear to be perennial in my climate.

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

You're right in that Brugs (as many people call them) are perennials / long lived plants. I've seen pictures of absolutely MASSIVE tree specimens. 

Speak of the devil… I stopped by a place I had just discovered today, and picked up 2 more variegated forms of Brugmansia, and a double yellow Datura. (Anyone on here good at identifying the different variegated forms?) 

Love these things! 

36 minutes ago, santoury said:

You're right in that Brugs (as many people call them) are perennials / long lived plants. I've seen pictures of absolutely MASSIVE tree specimens. 

Speak of the devil… I stopped by a place I had just discovered today, and picked up 2 more variegated forms of Brugmansia, and a double yellow Datura. (Anyone on here good at identifying the different variegated forms?) 

Love these things! 

Pictures.. of the variegated Brugs?.. Double yellow Datura is "Ballerina Yellow"

Thanks! Just noticed the tag; Ballerina Yellow. It has at least one bud now. Have you ever tried Datura from cuttings? 

Uploading pictures to the computer right now of the new Brugs. Hang on… 

And this one is what I call "tri-colored" - heavily yellow, rather than white. Even though technically it's also a two color.) (

BrugmansiaTricolorLeaves7.JPG

• Upvote 1

The third form I have; Sunset, has leaves like the yellow variegated one, but with the coloration of the white one with fuzzy leaves. )Tje ;eaves pm Sunset also seem to stay small, maybe half the size of the yellow variegated one. (They are still young, however, which may make a difference in the long term.) 

If you guys can help me put names to the above two, that would be super. 

3 hours ago, santoury said:

Thanks! Just noticed the tag; Ballerina Yellow. It has at least one bud now. Have you ever tried Datura from cuttings? 

Uploading pictures to the computer right now of the new Brugs. Hang on… 

Jude, 

haven't tried Brugs myself but have rooted Iochroma  cuttings a few times in the past. Brugmansia should be just as easy under greenhouse conditions. 

Not sure on variety of the variegated ones, ID  might be easier when they set some flowers. 

Hi,

Brugs are super easy from cuttings - Pop in water, and roots occur in about a week. Almost foolproof. 

It's Datura that I'm not sure about. Have you tried it? 

Were the Iochromas easy? 

Thanks - I'll keep you posted on any flowers. Three of the yellow variegated ones are large mother plants and I hope to get flowers before too long. 

Forgot to include this one for enjoyment's sake. (And yes, all the others lower than it, are also Brugs.) 

BrugCharlesGrimaldi8.JPG

Edited by santoury
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, santoury said:

Hi,

Brugs are super easy from cuttings - Pop in water, and roots occur in about a week. Almost foolproof. 

Were the Iochromas easy? 

Thanks - I'll keep you posted on any flowers. Three of the yellow variegated ones are large mother plants and I hope to get flowers before too long. 

Datura?.. not sure on rooting cuttings. Would assume they'd be easy as Brugs/ or Iochroma ( same family )  Haven't tried. I'd only grow D. wrightii anyway, from seed. Not a fan of the double / fringy- flowered types. Iochroma were easy, ..roots/ new growth within a couple weeks from cuttings, at least on the ones id worked with (common, blue/purple -flowered species / varieties ). 

I think Datura have hollow stems - and being annuals, I wondered if you had tried them. Has anyone? 

Did you put the Iochroma stems into a cup of water? Glad to hear they were easy - they are pretty - have not had one yet. 

34 minutes ago, santoury said:

I think Datura have hollow stems - and being annuals, I wondered if you had tried them. Has anyone? 

Did you put the Iochroma stems into a cup of water? Glad to hear they were easy - they are pretty - have not had one yet. 

Iochroma cuttings were done in pots. Great plants. 

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:
4 hours ago, santoury said:

I have found my datura to be incredibly invasive. In Spanish we say that they are a plague. I planted one several years ago and have been trying, without success, to contain it ever since. They pop up everywhere. Thankfully, they do not have huge root systems. It never occurred to me to actually propagate them

My brugs are much more well behaved and stay where I put them.

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

Yes, Daturas re-seed like crazy - I love them, and loved finding them in clumps throughout my gardens - but I love my cats more. :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd upload an example of the datura with pointy leaves

C.jpg.31d8854f8faa2448c7509415e9a93b66.j

Richard