IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CRAZY RED ON MAROJEJYA DARIANI

colin Peters

Was up at Lyon arboretum, Oahu  today, The trunk on this is a foot and a half. hard to get a feel for its size, but it is very big, and should show some ring trunk soon. The old 

leaf sheaths were rotten and fell apart    Enjoy aloha,  Even during the dry part of the summer, this is in ankle deep mud. 

Has any one else seen this type of color on a Marojejya????

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

• Upvote 17

Eye-popping!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hmmmm...under pressure for a two word expression.

Holy begeezeus!

Tim  

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks everyone, even though its not in my garden, I've been watching this guy for many years, pulling of dead tree limbs etc., it is buried in a valley, and hidden. Which

is probably best for it.

aloha

Tim, someday you need to come back to Oahu, and we can spend a "dry" day lookin at some cool stuff.  much aloha 

I will definitely let you know when I’m coming over. Probably early fall. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Colin,

I have seen lots of Marojejya darianii over the years, including some 30-35 that I have grown myself, but I have never seen color like that. That's truly spectacular. :)  Do you know if the color stays more or less the same over time, or does it vary?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

I have never seen this color on any of the ones at Lyon. The color was under the very rotten leaf sheaths that basically crumbled off. . Not sure if it varies or not, since I haven't seen a dead leaf pulled off before, and I'm sure this will fade to brown over time. This is in a valley close the big group of Royals, that I think you posted a picture of quite a while back. Maybe its Ray Baker smiling, since he is probably the one who planted it many years ago.   I would love to send this picture to John Dransfield, maybe he would know, or has seen this color in habitat . I have seen the dark cherry red on the petiole, and I have a one gallon that has that color, but nothing like this. .A smaller one that was close to this one has died, after getting crushed by a tree 

aloha

• Upvote 1

Colin,

Ah, interesting! Would love to see it and one of these days I should plan to spend a day or two over on Oahu! And I'm sure Ray had a hand in planting this one. I have a hunch he was responsible for pretty much all the "exciting" stuff that's hidden all over Lyon! :mrlooney:

Aloha!

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Beautiful palm. Seedlings sometimes show a bit of red but I've never seen one past the seedling stage to compare. This is one species I'll never be able to grow. Hawaii seems to have the perfect climate for it.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Beautiful palm. Seedlings sometimes show a bit of red but I've never seen one past the seedling stage to compare. This is one species I'll never be able to grow. Hawaii seems to have the perfect climate for it.

Not all of Hawaii! I live less than a mile from the palm shown and I struggle to keep these alive. I have only 1 out of 6 seedlings I planted left

• Upvote 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Krishna,

I have tried at least a dozen also, from one gallon to big beautiful (from Bill Austin on big island) 15 gallons. No luck. In fact die almost as soon as I plant them out, but I have one in native black clay in a 20 gallon decorative pot, and it is thriving. Keep it constantly wet almost too wet, but it is growing nicely. I think the trick is swamp like wet, don't let them dry out for a  second when young. The one in the picture is in a serious wet environment, right next to an occasional raging stream. Ankle deep mud.  I know you also live in Manoa, so you get serious rain, but it needs to hold the water and be swamp like muddish, from my experiance. 

much aloha

Colin

PS  let me know if you want to go and see some of the gems of Lyon or this one, Some crazy super rare stuff, Im sure even the workers don't know about. Had to be planted by Ray Baker back in the day. Not a hard hike at all.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

Krishna,

I have tried at least a dozen also, from one gallon to big beautiful (from Bill Austin on big island) 15 gallons. No luck. In fact die almost as soon as I plant them out, but I have one in native black clay in a 20 gallon decorative pot, and it is thriving. Keep it constantly wet almost too wet, but it is growing nicely. I think the trick is swamp like wet, don't let them dry out for a  second when young. The one in the picture is in a serious wet environment, right next to an occasional raging stream. Ankle deep mud.  I know you also live in Manoa, so you get serious rain, but it needs to hold the water and be swamp like muddish, from my experiance. 

much aloha

Colin

PS  let me know if you want to go and see some of the gems of Lyon or this one, Some crazy super rare stuff, Im sure even the workers don't know about. Had to be planted by Ray Baker back in the day. Not a hard hike at all.

They do well in the winter here but as soon as summer heat hits they cook as our soil drys out here. Maybe once I have better canopy?

Sent you a PM about Lyon

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I had just planted this one from a 1 gallon 3months back and it looks like I might have similar colors under the old leafs

20180719_074712.jpg

• Upvote 3

wow!!! and more wow!!!!!!!!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24