IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Peak of summer!

mdsonofthesouth

And loving every minute of it lol!

Screenshot_20180716-152919_Weather.thumb

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

My favorite time of year, 90 yesterday with a heat index in the 100’s. My only complaint is that it’s been very very dry here, despite the high humidity. Similar to Florida where the coast stays bone dry while inland areas get thunderstorms.

Stable atmospheric conditions near the ocean typically kills off convection, we can get sea breeze thunderstorms (much like Florida), but they're generally tiny pop up storms, you’re lucky to see one.

Supposed to see storms today, all the right ingredients are there, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

It is hot and rainy here. While some people see that as nasty weather, I see it as "Yes the plants will grow!" 

PalmTreeDude

It always warm and dry here in the summer. Last week we were in the low 90's. this week we have cool off considerable to normal temperature in the mid to upper 70's. That's natures natural air conditioning here.  But, next week back into the mid 90's...( for a few days).  Even though mid 90's is hot it doesn't really get hot until August when it can get into the upper 90's that's when I start to complain. :P Everything is in bloom right now my favorite time of the year.  Funny thing is our side of the mountains is in the 70's today, while the other side is around 100F. 

Edited by Palm crazy

I don't want to hear anyone complaining about summer after our weather this week. Dew points still in the 70s at these temps.  Indicies into the 120s. 

Screenshot_20180718-110113_The Weather Channel.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I don't want to hear anyone complaining about summer after our weather this week. Dew points still in the 70s at these temps.  Indicies into the 120s.

That's some pretty rough gardening weather there, Tex.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I've had about 30" of rain since May 1. Florida living up to its standards of tropical summers. My coconut April 15 and July 15.  Crown should look decent by winter. 

IMG_2018-07-18_17-21-07.JPG

• Upvote 1

This keeps getting better. It was 108.8 yesterday, higher than the 106 forecasted.  This heat is tough on a nursery with 100k potted plants. 

Screenshot_20180719-080710_The Weather Channel.jpg

• Upvote 2

Got an inch and a half of MUCH needed rain the other day, everything is flying now. I swear rain water is like magic, tap water doesn’t compare.

New spears overnight on my Coconut and my Needle. My Trachy is behaving like a Washy, opening its 2nd frond in less than two weeks. Next week looks tropical, very humid with thunderstorm chances everyday. Love it.

Edited by cm05
  • Upvote 1

Here, the typical high-80s - mid-90s with oppressive humidity.  I don't mind it, but there is always a large cup full of ice water nearby.  Still lots of rain.  Who knows... we may set an annual record at this rate.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

13 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

This keeps getting better. It was 108.8 yesterday, higher than the 106 forecasted.  This heat is tough on a nursery with 100k potted plants. 

Screenshot_20180719-080710_The Weather Channel.jpg

Wowzers! And here I thought we had it bad with 108 last week which fried 98% my B. Fenestralis. Only have what's left of the spear. Lol. Cocos, alfies, bottles, dwarf majesty and the potted triple A. Merrilii took the uv and the heat like nothing. Incredible. All green and growing. 

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Looks like we'll have a 4-5 day stretch of records fall in the metroplex.  Still 100f at 945 out in the suburbs that cool down much faster than the city core.  Im sure it'll stay over 100 in the dallas and ft worth city centers until midnight for the next 4 days. I dont know what the record high low temps are but those will certainly be broken as well. Low this morning was 83 in the suburbs.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks like we'll have a 4-5 day stretch of records fall in the metroplex.  Still 100f at 945 out in the suburbs that cool down much faster than the city core.  Im sure it'll stay over 100 in the dallas and ft worth city centers until midnight for the next 4 days. I dont know what the record high low temps are but those will certainly be broken as well. Low this morning was 83 in the suburbs.  

Interesting you mention this. Just saw a tweet put out by the Lubbock NWS regarding likely breaking a 100yr old  overnight low. Old low was 79F. Looks like they only dropped to 81F this morning. I hope you and everyone else out there are staying hydrated and staying out of the worst of it as much as possible.. As bad as 110F+ is here, i can't imagine 110F + a 45-60+deg Dew Point..  

Been watching the forecasts regarding this heat event closely since we're next. May surpass the 115F mark ( ....and set records) by Monday -Wed across PHX.  CA comes into play by Tuesday.. S. Cal gets hot, but maybe not quite as hot as the last heatwave.. Have been seeing 115-118F readings on several GFS runs across the Central Valley however. While that particular model likes to run either too hot or too cool in regards to forecast 2m Temps, when a dome of hot air with heights exceeding the 597-601dm threshold is forecast to sit over head / close by, extreme heat at the surface is pretty much guaranteed.  

1240pm and we're already at 105. We had a new all time high at the nursery yesterday @112.2. Dfw airport set a record high for s third consecutive day as well and today will make the 4th day.

33 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

1240pm and we're already at 105. We had a new all time high at the nursery yesterday @112.2. Dfw airport set a record high for s third consecutive day as well and today will make the 4th day.

That hot really makes it hard to breathe. Makes are low 90F look like a cake walk. Try to stay indoors if you can. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

On 7/22/2018, 11:13:31, Palm crazy said:

That hot really makes it hard to breathe. Makes are low 90F look like a cake walk. Try to stay indoors if you can. 

Hot as... well, you get the idea. 115F recorded today at Sky Harbor breaks the old record of 114F set in 2014. Neighborhood Wx stations around Chandler ranged between 112-117F. 

Both Thermal and Palm Springs broke records set in 2014 as well today with 122F recorded at Thermal, old record there was 119F. Palm Springs came in at 119F, old record from 2014 was 116F...  Highs tomorrow are forecast to go up 2-4F degrees across the region ( Palm Springs and Blythe may meet / exceed 121-123F) 117F is forecast at Sky Harbor. 

114F recorded today in Waco, TX also broke the areas all time record of 112F set on Aug. 11,1969

One more day of +110F heat before a return of some monsoonal moisture starts lowering the thermostat starting Thursday, and re-introduces rain chances by Sat/Sun.  While highs reaching 109-111F can occur here until late August, hopefully the next 2-3 days will be it for anything higher.. 

On a side note, saw that 34.3C or 94F was recently recorded in Utsjoki Kevo in far northern Finland That is located INSIDE the Arctic Circle btw, Average there is roughly 18C or 64F. Yikes!

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

On a side note, saw that 34.3C or 94F was recently recorded in Utsjoki Kevo in far northern Finland That is located INSIDE the Arctic Circle btw, Average there is roughly 18C or 64F. Yikes!

Yes, well, there are both sides to the spectrum...

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-05-08-april-2018-record-cold-temperatures-united-states-noaa-report

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/record-breaking-cold-weather-hits-australias-south-east/news-story/50906eac539b4fa9303ae95302b7f36b

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

We have been hot humid and rainy as well. We did however have a slight dry spell, but its been raining for days off and on. Im glad as I just planted 6 rhapidophyllum hystrix a few weeks ago and I hear they love wet and our red clay sure is wet now lol! Hoping they root out while we have this rain so i wont have to irrigate them. But the grass is long and will have to double cut at least. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 7/23/2018, 9:45:05, Silas_Sancona said:

Hot as... well, you get the idea. 115F recorded today at Sky Harbor breaks the old record of 114F set in 2014. Neighborhood Wx stations around Chandler ranged between 112-117F. 

Both Thermal and Palm Springs broke records set in 2014 as well today with 122F recorded at Thermal, old record there was 119F. Palm Springs came in at 119F, old record from 2014 was 116F...  Highs tomorrow are forecast to go up 2-4F degrees across the region ( Palm Springs and Blythe may meet / exceed 121-123F) 117F is forecast at Sky Harbor. 

114F recorded today in Waco, TX also broke the areas all time record of 112F set on Aug. 11,1969

One more day of +110F heat before a return of some monsoonal moisture starts lowering the thermostat starting Thursday, and re-introduces rain chances by Sat/Sun.  While highs reaching 109-111F can occur here until late August, hopefully the next 2-3 days will be it for anything higher.. 

PBS NewsHour the other day said that Death Valley broke a new daily high for that day at 127F / 52.7C. Now that's HOT! I've always wanted to visit to just experience it once, As I sit in the backyard today at 92F / 33.2C.  Mid 90's this weekend and then back to normal temperatures for a while next week. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

PBS NewsHour the other day said that Death Valley broke a new daily high for that day at 127F / 52.7C. Now that's HOT! I've always wanted to visit to just experience it once, As I sit in the backyard today at 92F.  Mid 90's this weekend and then back to normal temperatures for a while next week. 

Yep, saw that flash across PHX's NWS  twitter page as it happened yesterday. Makes reaching 116F today,  breaking a 75yr old record, look like nothing.. Sky Harbor ( Downtown area of Phoenix) also didn't drop below 92F last night, and may not drop below 90 tonight.. Both overnight low temps would / will break records. Thankfully, today was the worst of it. 109-111F tomorrow, 102-104F by Sunday. Humidity & Rain chances ( thankfully)  increase by that time also. Have had a hot, dry breeze in the afternoon w/the excessive heat this week and it has fried a lot of stuff that had escaped damage thus far this summer.. Hopefully the enormous T-storm complex covering Sonora atm helps induce a  big Gulf Surge up the Gulf of CA. in the morning. Quickly raises dew points / humidity across the area when strong enough. Also helps prime the atmosphere for rain chances later on.  

On a side note, an explosive, and on-going fire near Mt. San Jacinto ( Southern CA.)  generated a PyroCumulonimbus that was throwing around lightning earlier. Fire went from 200 at noon to roughly 3K acres currently. Pictures on the twitter page devoted to tracking it, (#CranstonFrie) are incredible.  Storm generated by the fire topped 48-50K ft and could be seen from 100 miles away. Put into perspective, that height is a normal storm top level for Supercells on the Plains.. 0% containment.  

I think that high pressure zone that sat on top of us for a week straight meandered over towards the desert SW.

1 minute ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I think that high pressure zone that sat on top of us for a week straight meandered over towards the desert SW.

Exactly what happened, and it looks to hang around the region until sometime around the 1st of August, though not quite as strong and displaced further north / northwest.  Trough looks to set up across the Plains / Mid-west at the same time.  Btw, Death Valley reached 127F again yesterday.. Was 95F in Phoenix at 5:30am this morning.. 

Well, I'd glad it moved on away from us even though it sucks for y'all. We are way behind on rain and need a few thunderstorms to fire up soon.  

Unfortunately, I think what we are seeing will become the new norm as we have been trending this direction for a decade now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Well, I'd glad it moved on away from us even though it sucks for y'all. We are way behind on rain and need a few thunderstorms to fire up soon.  

Unfortunately, I think what we are seeing will become the new norm as we have been trending this direction for a decade now.

Agree and hard to ignore..( unless sand tastes good, lol )  even if an overall upward trend features the occasional colder episodes mixed in.

As far as rain, while some spots around Phoenix have seen some thus far, ( High country .. Flagstaff, Prescott esp.) I have yet to see more than just enough than to wet the sidewalk / street for more than an hour or so since the weird episode in June. Very little before that going all the way back to roughly this time last year either. While highly variable rainfall is normal for the monsoon season, I think rainfall pattern will also follow temperature trends as well, Less, overall but with really heavy episodes, like what the area saw back in September 2014, mixed in. The biggest concern though is what happens to the winter snow pack across AZ, NM, CA, CO, and Utah over time.