IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Driving to Florida! Looking for Cold Hardy Palms at Big Box stores

Nj Palms

Hi All! I will be driving down to Florida at the beginning of August and will be taking 95 all the way down.I was just wondering if anyone along 95 has been to the Big Boxes recently and if they have recently seen any needles,windmills,or even Sabal minors at the stores.If you have any info of prices or if they have them still at the big box stores you could pm me or just post below.Thx!

I wish I could go to Gary's nursery but it's out of the way.

Edited by Nj Palms

You'd do better for coldhardies in NFL, GA, even SC. You also could do an internet search for nurseries close to I95 and call them in advance for palm selections and availability. The further south you go in FL, at least below central FL the fewer coldhardy palms you will find. In addition to the usual suspects you might also look for a nice silver saw palmetto. They are beautiful, stay short and are easy to protect in winter.

If I were you, I would research the locations of big box stores close to I95 all the way south so you could plan your stops. My experience is they are common close to the interstate but usually not visible from the highway as you pass by. Have fun.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That's exactly what I was thinking from looking from Sc to the Jacksonville area.I will probably definitely get silver saw palmetto seeds beacuse there are a few large ones by where I am staying.Its the silver form and about how long for them to germinate.

Edited by Nj Palms

Saw palmetto fruit are black when ripe. They are starting to ripen here now. Maybe they will also be ripening come Aug. in NFL and GA. Germination may take months even in summer heat. If you get them in pots ASAP when you get home you may get germination before the weather turns cold.

Meg

Florida

Also can I just leave them outside in a pot and they would germinate.Temps usually go up to mid 80s and 90s and low temps in the 60s and 70s.

3 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

I will be in Sarasota so hopefully they will be ripe by August.

They should be close. Sarasota is 1-1/2 hours north of me. I just hope seed collectors haven't stripped them off. Immigrants trespass everywhere looking for saw palmetto fruit to sell to drug companies for prostate supplements. If so, check the ground carefully for any that dropped. Excessive seed collection eventually hampers generation of young palms. Ironically, the chemicals for for supplements are easily manufactured in the lab, so wholesale seed harvesting is not necessary.

Meg

Florida

I can tell you that the Lowe’s in Jacksonville, Fla. on Old St Augustine Rd. has some nice windmills, various different sizes, though they sell out pretty fast in larger sizes. A 2-3 footer will run you about 21 dollars, the 5 footers cost about 80. Right on interstate 295, maybe 5 mins off of 95. 

I would think the Savannah area would be a good bet as well. I can tell you that the big box stored around Columbia have next to nothing for palm selections. I check from time to time and there is usually nothing. Perhaps I keep missing them, I'm not sure. The local nurseries around here all have decent selections. Usually just your common cold hardy varieties. Last winter might of scared them from trying anything too exotic. 

12 hours ago, Surfrider14 said:

I can tell you that the Lowe’s in Jacksonville, Fla. on Old St Augustine Rd. has some nice windmills, various different sizes, though they sell out pretty fast in larger sizes. A 2-3 footer will run you about 21 dollars, the 5 footers cost about 80. Right on interstate 295, maybe 5 mins off of 95. 

Wow 21 dollars for that size!Any Rhapidphyllum Hystrix?

Edited by Nj Palms

9 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

Wow 21 dollars for that size!Any Rhapidphyllum Hystrix?

Unfortunately, no. I have yet to find one nursery selling them, crazy considering that the preserve by my house is absolutely crawling with them. I would try either South Carolina or Georgia for needles. Good luck! 

I was just at the Lowes in Ormond Beach (Hwy. 40 just off of I-95).  There was an impressive array of palms for sale, but most were what I would call iffy even for Ormond Beach:  Veitcheas, Royals, Hyophorbe, etc.  About the most cold-hardy things I saw were some BIG Syagrus.  They were impressive.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

I have not checked anywhere right along I95, but I visited the Lowe's in Suffolk, VA over the weekend.  It's about one hour drive from I95.  There were numerous windmill palms, pindo palms, and European fan palms of various sizes.  I only saw one needle palm remaining the last time I was there; I think it was 6.5 gal size.  There used to be Sabal minor, but I have not seen any for a few years now.  This may or may not be helpful.

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

Driving down I-95, once you cross into GA you will see the sides of I-95 loaded with saw palmettos & sable minors. Wrong time of year for seeds, but there should be seedling you could dig up very easy.