IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bringing humid seedlings outside

Rickybobby

I really didn’t want to do this. But my tropica more humid palms. Sabal cane bottle solitaire Bangalow etc I had in the house. Around 77f and 40 percent humidity. I wanted to grow them to be used to more indoor temps since they will be inside 6 months a year. But today I caved. Outside is 92 f and 70 percent humidity everyday for a few weeks. (Finally) my foxtails and Bismarck’s are out there too. I just wanted to let them grow like weeds. But I’m worried that doing this will make them less hardy in the long run. My dates. Windmills and Cali fan palms are growing like weeds inside and we know they are more suitable for inside than the others 

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of circumstances :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of circumstances :)

Ok. Just thought bringing them up in an environment that’s different than their normal would help toughen them up 

I call them humid because I know my Washingtonia trachycarpus and Phoenix are ok inside drier. If anyone wondered why I called those humid 

21 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Ok. Just thought bringing them up in an environment that’s different than their normal would help toughen them up 

Tropical palms cannot be "trained" to be hardier nor can they be raised to better tolerate dark, chilly, dry northern homes. You will not "spoil" them by giving them what nature intended them to have. You must bend to their requirements for heat, humidity and, if applicable, full sun. If you can't or won't, they will live short, miserable lives.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.