IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post Flu posting from Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

First I was busy (and still am) dealing with a move within PR and hurricane Maria and no utilities for a few months. Then concentrating on getting my old VA house sold and heading for the Biennial and then a couple of days after my return just slammed by the flu! Hence some of my reasons for so little time posting here. Never boring.

Happily now I am down to just mostly good "distractions" like having fun on my 15 acres of gardens and jungle.

Before I get back to predawn cutting shelf paper for the finally replaced water damaged kitchen cabinets, I will show you a few cameos from some plants in pots still awaiting their turn, as well as those finally in place - with some mostly tree fern canopy back.

Then I will try to add more photos as I can.

First here is Genoma cuneatum which I was very pleased to see in Colombia on the Biennial. It is hard to describe the very interesting feel of these corrugated leaves!

DSCN8749.thumb.JPG.b7c958561de2f8d3be9b3

I do have a very similar Lemurophoenix in the ground now (that I grew from seed), but this one had the pretty new leaf.

DSCN8756.thumb.jpg.e3d2c61576430cf08d147

Here is one of my favorite Pinangas sold to me as "Thai mottled" big enough by my standards to go into the ground when I find the best spot. I believe my old one (that struggled mightily with my move and then hurricane insults plus a lost label) has made it too in the ground, but not yet ready for a photo.DSCN8757.thumb.jpg.2cf5f6d09a5089a4171c1

Below is another always pretty palm Pholidostachys sold to me as just "sp." It survived transplantation and seems on its way.

DSCN8758.thumb.jpg.6f014712ae15051988597

I lost the label for this next beauty and sadly its twin did not make it. I think this is Genoma conduruensis grown from a tiny seedling.

Please if you see errors in names or spelling I am quite appreciative of corrections!

Also if you have photos of any of these please add them, thanks!

DSCN8760.thumb.jpg.cc05b700ee06fd53a442a

Last for now is Calyptrocalyx sp. Puah with its new bright red leaf settling in the ground.

DSCN8761.thumb.jpg.302cb900c6dc282203c24

• Upvote 12

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

It was great to see you in Colombia and sorry to hear about the flu, but sounds like you're doing really good now. Those are some great looking palms! :) And having fun on your 15 acres - WOW! :o That's a LOT of fun! :lol: Looking forward to more updates! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Yes, although it was lovely to see you and Kim at dinner in Colombia, with such a large group there was not nearly enough time for catching up with everyone!

Obviously I need to travel more!

Thanks for your interest and encouragement with my never to be completed playground. Do take a side trip here when you next get to the southeastern US. 

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

"Having fun on 15 acres" and "Travelling more"! Not quite sure how those two concepts can co-exist, but if anyone can pull it off, I'm sure you'd be the one! :mrlooney: I "only" had five acres at my old garden (OK, optimist that I am, I did attempt to start up a nursery on the side as well...:lol: ), so I believe I am aware of what's involved. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hey Cindy. Nice Geonoma Condurauensis. Where did you get that? Nice to meet you at the biennial.

Hi Cindy! Sorry to hear you had a bout with the flu. Never fun. :sick:

After all those wonderful palms we saw in Colombia, Geonoma are on my mind. Your babies look super happy and healthy! That Lemurophoenix has a few years before getting overhead (understatement) but you will enjoy every stage of growth. I wonder which species the Pholidostachys will turn out to be? Nice looking palm, for sure!

Yes, Colombia was awesome and a bit of a whirlwind, in a good way. It was good seeing you, and what a grand time we all had!  PR is on my travel list, but no dates in mind at this time. Probably see you in San Diego next year.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Glad to hear you are recovered and tending to your botanical babies once again. Also glad you all had a great time attending the recent biennial.

South American understory palms are some of my favorites as they are such beautiful, carefree, and interesting palms. Your Geonoma, at that young age, looks so similar to a few specimens I have in the garden, like Astrogyne, and Calyptogyne. Such thick, stiff, perfect, ribbed leaves. I love it when posts inspire me to go check on similarities of the palms in my garden, and of course, the camera is always in tow. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

13 hours ago, bgl said:

"Having fun on 15 acres" and "Travelling more"! Not quite sure how those two concepts can co-exist, but if anyone can pull it off, I'm sure you'd be the one! :mrlooney: I "only" had five acres at my old garden (OK, optimist that I am, I did attempt to start up a nursery on the side as well...:lol: ), so I believe I am aware of what's involved. :)

Yes I do think you are quite aware of what it is like to want to plant create a palm paradise!

And I do not complain about the rain that helps my plants handle my absence for travel. 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

10 hours ago, humangenomaproject said:

Hey Cindy. Nice Geonoma Condurauensis. Where did you get that? Nice to meet you at the biennial.

It came from Floribunda awhile back and loves the shade. I highly recommend it.

And it was great to meet you in Colombia and put a face to your distinctive PT name!

Cindy Adair

9 hours ago, Kim said:

Hi Cindy! Sorry to hear you had a bout with the flu. Never fun. :sick:

After all those wonderful palms we saw in Colombia, Geonoma are on my mind. Your babies look super happy and healthy! That Lemurophoenix has a few years before getting overhead (understatement) but you will enjoy every stage of growth. I wonder which species the Pholidostachys will turn out to be? Nice looking palm, for sure!

Yes, Colombia was awesome and a bit of a whirlwind, in a good way. It was good seeing you, and what a grand time we all had!  PR is on my travel list, but no dates in mind at this time. Probably see you in San Diego next year.

Hi Kim! I am so grateful that you took the time to post your lovely Colombia photos and one of these days I will catch up.

As to Geonomas and Pholidostachys, I like them all and I do enjoy watching my baby Lemurs that don’t look a thing like their huge parents!

Thanks for your kind comment about their health. It was touch and go there for awhile with sudden canopy loss.

I will hope to see you in San Diego next year if not sooner and continue to wish you all the best with your amazing Hawaiian retreat.

Cindy Adair

4 hours ago, realarch said:

Glad to hear you are recovered and tending to your botanical babies once again. Also glad you all had a great time attending the recent biennial.

South American understory palms are some of my favorites as they are such beautiful, carefree, and interesting palms. Your Geonoma, at that young age, looks so similar to a few specimens I have in the garden, like Astrogyne, and Calyptogyne. Such thick, stiff, perfect, ribbed leaves. I love it when posts inspire me to go check on similarities of the palms in my garden, and of course, the camera is always in tow. 

Tim

I certainly missed you in Colombia, but will get to the big island pretty soon, (maybe after a hopefully hurricane free year) for a long overdue visit! Can’t let Pele keep me away.

When I last went to HI about 17 years ago I doubt I knew a single Latin or common name for any tropical palms, but I knew I fell hard for them despite no plans to ever move from VA.

And yes please post away, as I always enjoy add to my wish list after your photos!

Cindy Adair

Cindy, good talking to you in Colombia. You have had one heck of a year or so.

I got lucky and missed the bug going around while in Colombia. Many, like you, were not so fortunate. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

23 hours ago, LJG said:

Cindy, good talking to you in Colombia. You have had one heck of a year or so.

I got lucky and missed the bug going around while in Colombia. Many, like you, were not so fortunate. 

I was lucky too in that I was well until safely back home. Also had the Sabinaria post tour taken place, the flu would have nailed me in the jungle and potentially ruined everyone else's trip too.

And so many just in our IPS group have had really tough times this last couple of years, with lava and fires and floods, making Maria seem not as bad.

However I do hope the little palms in this topic will have a chance to toughen up a little for a few hurricane free years..

See you next year in San Diego!

Cindy Adair

Fantastic little beauties Cindy! Its always great to catch up, however briefly. I missed the Flu bug thankfully. I TOO have been looking at those Geonomas since our Colombia trip! A great trip like the biennial is a surefire way to boost your spirits to tackle all of the tasks you have!

See ya next year I'm sure!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!