IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plant ID needed

Palm crazy

That is nice! 

I'll guess some kind of Heliconia - but the coloration is probably in-part due to being in strong sun. Possibly a Curcuma, but I don't think so. It is clearly a ginger of some sort. 

Is it yours? 

• Upvote 1

I think it is Heliconia indica var. spectabilis ??? Whatever it is my climate is too cool in summer to grow it I am sure. 

I saw the picture on the net and wanted to know if it was hardy, I'm sure it not going to grow in my cool summer temps. I can't get big leaves on my Hawaii Ti plants so this plants not a good choice for me either. But I do love that rich jewel tone color. 

Edited by Palm crazy

It is indeed that Heliconia...with some of the best looking leaves in the genus, but a very tropical Heliconia

5b2fd00dd74fc_Heliconiaindicaspectabilis5b2fd01673e22_Heliconiaindicaspectabilis5b2fd031dab00_Heliconiaindica.thumb.jpg.5b2fd04056315_Heliconiaindicaspectabilis5b2fd0459072f_Heliconiaindica2.thumb.jpg5b2fd04803577_Heliconiaindicaleafdetail..

• Upvote 6

Thanks, Geoff, for the ID. It really is a remarkable plant. I guess I'll have to just be happy with a look-alike plant like Tropicanna. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Looks more like a Heliconia indica var. 'Red Leaf' to me than a Heliconia indica var. spectabilis (mentioned by Palm Crazy and all the pictures posted by Geoff)  I have both plants and the one in question doesn't seem to have the white stripes. 

Here is my 'Red Leaf' next to the house, which gets a darker red color depending on the sun exposure. 

IMG_0227.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, paquicuba said:

Looks more like a Heliconia indica var. 'Red Leaf' to me than a Heliconia indica var. spectabilis (mentioned by Palm Crazy and all the pictures posted by Geoff)  I have both plants and the one in question doesn't seem to have the white stripes. 

Here is my 'Red Leaf' next to the house, which gets a darker red color depending on the sun exposure. 

IMG_0227.jpg

paquicubaThanks for your correction... 'Red Leaf' it is. 

31 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

paquicubaThanks for your correction... 'Red Leaf' it is. 

:greenthumb:

'Red Leaf' is also known as 'Rubra' and it gets all the time labeled as 'Spectabilis' and vice versa. ;)