IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas seed taproot stuck?

Palmcycasnut

Hi all, i'm germinating this hybrid cycas using the baggie method (seems to work best for me) and this seed popped and the taproot looks to be stuck inside the seed. It has stayed like this for over 2 weeks.  Should i try to pry it open a little and pull the root out, which im not even sure is possible without hurting the root, or maybe soak the seed and the extra hydration will give it a boost to right itself? The seeds are nice and warm at a constant 89F. Thanks, Dustin. 

20180620_173855.jpg

20180620_173848.jpg

This happens regularly. Pry it open gently with a butter knife. Squeeze the seed with your fingers to open the existing crack and then put the butter knife in the crack and slighly twist to enlarge the crack. Rotate 180 degrees until the shell comes off. DO NOT SOAK IT. Leave it exaxtly like it is and sew it directly into soil. If you create any sort of damage dip the entire seed in daconil. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds great. Thanks Texas i'll give it a try! Didn't want to lose the seedling it's gonna be a nice one. 

I agree with prying it open, but be careful. The taproot/radicle is very very prone to damage. If you plant it in a pot make sure it's a deep one. The radicle goes down a long way before leaves start to form, you don't want the radicle growing out the bottom.