IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dwarf Palmettos along Pamlico River

NC_Palms

All photos were taken on 06/18/18. Goose Creek State Park, NC

During this time of the year our native sabal minors will start to flower

IMG_3272.thumb.JPG.374855b7b7a26dbb5c61c

Edited by NC_Palms
  • Upvote 6

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

IMG_3274.thumb.JPG.7c7591a6224c84b4012b5

• Upvote 4

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

This palm has a very beautiful flower stalk coming up

IMG_3269.thumb.JPG.f6bf3ea595f0ed3f422a7

Edited by NC_Palms
  • Upvote 4

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Happy to see this palm undamaged from the past winter. North Carolina had an extremely bad past winter, which damaged native plants. 

IMG_3276.thumb.JPG.62e063a580aedfdd91b7d

Edited by NC_Palms
  • Upvote 4

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Little Seedlings. These may be either be winter survivors or spring germinatorsIMG_3278.thumb.JPG.e65b8c821eb5e01d1d46b

• Upvote 4

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I am not sure why this palm is unhappy. It may be suffering from either winter damage or be irritated by the brackish environment. IMG_3266.thumb.JPG.8bf3b3a960a0fe78ad5b4

Edited by NC_Palms
  • Upvote 2

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Great habitat photos. The last one may be suffering damage from cold, wind and salt.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

These are one tough palm. I planted one out that was sold to me as palmetto. That wouldn't have been issue except for the fact that I wanted a palmetto on either side of my bridge but anyway I now have a minor and a palmetto so the symmetry is ruined. Anyway it loves the peat soil and even sits in water when the lake floods. Real green all year and doesn't care about being in the windiest most frosty part of my yard. It just doesn't care.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks for the photos.  Even in a relatively mild climate, I have a special appreciation for sabal minor and rhapidophyllum hystrix.  For me personally, these two palms are treasures.  In particular, I love seeing people in marginal climates experimenting with the 'McCurtain' variety and other hardy varieties from Arkansas, northern Alabama, and North Carolina.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Thanks for the photos.  Even in a relatively mild climate, I have a special appreciation for sabal minor and rhapidophyllum hystrix.  For me personally, these two palms are treasures.  In particular, I love seeing people in marginal climates experimenting with the 'McCurtain' variety and other hardy varieties from Arkansas, northern Alabama, and North Carolina.

Amen to all that. A person could populate a yard with all the variations of Sabal minor alone. No other native US palm is so versatile. I have specialized in the "uber dwarf" category of S. minors and have nearly half a dozen varieties. There are so many different S. minors out there to be found if you hunt diligently.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Great habitat photos. The last one may be suffering damage from cold, wind and salt.

I agree. It got so cold here over the past winter that our native plants got damaged and defoliated.  

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

7 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Amen to all that. A person could populate a yard with all the variations of Sabal minor alone. No other native US palm is so versatile. I have specialized in the "uber dwarf" category of S. minors and have nearly half a dozen varieties. There are so many different S. minors out there to be found if you hunt diligently.

In Coastal North Carolina our sabal minors have a blueish tint to them. I am not sure about the variety but I think they are the same ones found on Cape Hatteras. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

3 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

In Coastal North Carolina our sabal minors have a blueish tint to them. I am not sure about the variety but I think they are the same ones found on Cape Hatteras. 

I believe our "blue stem" variety down here are native to the east coast of Florida as well.  I have 3 of them.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F