IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus schizophylla x syagrus r

ErikSJI

AKA coconut queen. AKA super parrot. We had great success on this hybrid thanks to a little help from our friends. At only a year old they are rockets. Another one off the bucket list for commercial production. Next in line is the Foxy lady for commercial production. 

35748028_10157500260643626_1241614301551132672_n.jpg

35686662_10157500252743626_3532635430165938176_n.jpg

• Upvote 10

Looks good Erik.  I found this palm definately gets the hybrid vigor.  Good luck to you and Mark on the foxyladies.  BTW, how are they coming along?

We sold all of these all ready. It was a contract grow. I did grab a couple for some individuals that asked and we do have 40 around late sprouts that came up in the green house. We will be continuing to do this cross every year now. However we do not have much time to be shipping things out these days.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎7‎:‎07‎:‎24‎, Mike Evans said:

Looks good Erik.  I found this palm definately gets the hybrid vigor.  Good luck to you and Mark on the foxyladies.  BTW, how are they coming along?

The first batch of foxy ladies we did 4 years ago are reaching around 8 ft.

5 hours ago, ErikSJI said:

I did grab a couple for some individuals that asked and we do have 40 around late sprouts that came up in the green house.

Erik,

Do you think this Syagrus schizophylla x syagrus rom. is just a zone 9b+ palm?  The only cold hardiness data that I could find for this was no damage at 26ºF in Los Altos, CA and defoliation at 21ºF (likely dead) in FL.  This doesn't seem to fit very well for 9a.  I had asked you before about this hybrid and didn't see it mentioned on your website, but if they were only a contract grow that would explain why.

Jon

Jon Sunder

i want one:drool:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 2 months later...

Until we get a better market on the Foxy Lady we are holding off. It is a long process like this one. Takes 6 months just to get seed. Then another 4 months in germinating. Then another 6 months of growth before we sell them.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2018, 8:19:37, Fusca said:

Erik,

Do you think this Syagrus schizophylla x syagrus rom. is just a zone 9b+ palm?  The only cold hardiness data that I could find for this was no damage at 26ºF in Los Altos, CA and defoliation at 21ºF (likely dead) in FL.  This doesn't seem to fit very well for 9a.  I had asked you before about this hybrid and didn't see it mentioned on your website, but if they were only a contract grow that would explain why.

Jon

I have a few of them. Coldest my yard has been in the last few years is 27F. But no damage.. if I had a guess I would say around 24 or 25

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2018, 1:03:44, enigma99 said:

I have a few of them. Coldest my yard has been in the last few years is 27F. But no damage.. if I had a guess I would say around 24 or 25

Thanks for the reply.  This palm might be a zone push for me.  Has yours shown the same "rocket" growth that Erik has had with his seedlings?  At 2 years his seedlings are at roughly the same stage (size) as one of my mules, although my mule has already started developing adult leaves.

Jon Sunder