IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can this palm survive long term?? Diagnosis (and ID) needed!

politoCABJ

Hi everyone!

This palm snapped like a twig during Hurricane Irma last year, but ever since then it has been slowly recovering and showings signs of normal health. It's quite remarkable considering the damage! It used to support itself on an oak tree branch, but now it is holding itself up firmly and producing new fronds and batches of fruit. My wife thinks we should give it the CHOP, but as a palm lover I have a soft spot for this guy after all it's been through. 

Do you think it can survive for the long term? 

PS. I'd also appreciate confirmation on the ID. I am in zone 10b and I believe it is a Carpentaria acuminata. 

A1.thumb.jpg.231558ea530c94c9354d1be513152.thumb.jpg.882bb7b37d1b61cb37a2bdf35b623.thumb.jpg.6c7d7315a9fc459a9e22357ba5b54.thumb.jpg.3f63f41a6512099c43b82b0e5da45.thumb.jpg.0048e01b55c5f89682ee9825b06e

• Upvote 2

Wow, it's amazing it's still breathing! It's days are numbered.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks like it could be a Ptychosperma elegans. Replace it with a nice understory palm.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

End its misery. Ptycho elegans are dime a dozen in your area and may be a FL Class II invasive (someone, please confirm or deny).

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks guys! I suppose ill have to give it the ole chainsaw treatment. Yes Meg, these things are all over the place!  There are really tall ones that have passed the height of the oak tree canopies and keep growing away. 

No its not a Carpy....and if it was they are very chainsaw worthy ( being native to my home town of Darwin they are pretty well loathed ....extremely messy dropping seeds and fronds.....and attracting fruit bats which then drop toxic poop on car duco which if not removed immediately results in stripped paint ! )

Looks like a Ptychosperma of some sort.

I love carpies. I wish I lived in a place where a Carpy is considered a weed. I've got 6 acres and if they grew here I'd love a carpy forest. Instead we call normal crappy plants like kikuyu grass a weed.

Btw that is a Ptychosperma elegans. If you feel sorry for it collect some ripe seed from it, chuck them in a pot then cut it down. At least its progeny will keep its legacy going.

• Upvote 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks for the ID! I am now noticing Ptychosperma elegans all over my neighborhood. They are almost as ubiquitous as Adonidia merrillii. In some cases they were planted a long time ago by previous owners. Look how cozy these guys are alongside oak trees.

I was surprised to see a landscaper plant a few of them next to a driveway last year right before Irma (second picture). Unsurprisingly, one of them went down during the storm. The location of these palms seems quite ill-advised, but it was done in a rush while the house was being flipped so I doubt anyone gave it much thought.

20180625_110613.jpg

20180625_110009.jpg