A Coconut in London

8 posts in this topic

I've finally succumbed and bought myself a Malayan Red Dwarf variety, very reasonably priced on eBay at $36 inc. shipping!

It appears the seller shaved both sides of the nut to fit it in the shipping box, although I imagine that making the sides more porous by doing so, expedites the emergence of roots? I can see roots starting to poke through on both sides already.

My mix as follows (roughly in equal parts):

Seramis / 2 - 7 mm pine propagating mulch / Coir

I'm using rainwater in my mix. This is in keeping with my 'grow box' seedling cultivation, whereby I've been using only steam evaporated distilled water; too expensive for a coconut, so rainwater seems like the next best thing.

The plastic planter has a 23 cm (9") deep removable liner. For now, the rest of the planter is packed with bubble wrap, and placed between that and the underside of the liner is a 4w reptile heat mat.

So for now, as they say...'watch this space!' :yay:

20180619_201727.jpg

20180619_203927.jpg

Best of luck to you John! You chose well: a dwarf variety. 

Love the attempt. Good luck and have fun

Thanks for the support, guys.

Quick update...... and very pleased with the progress; bottom heat, sunny position, humidity chamber, and a heatwave in London.

What could be more ideal for my city coconut? :D

20180707_114626_HDR.jpg

20180707_114757.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looks great. I choose to grow mine Without humidity domes or anything because as it gets bigger. It won’t get that anyway. It’s been doing just fine. Only problem I made was introducing it to the sun to fast and the first fronds got sun burn 

oh and I have sprayed an anti transpiration product on the fronds to help it survive in drier conditions

Edited by Rickybobby

Hi John,

looks fine. Actually the summer should increase its growth. Maybe I'll give it a trial too :unsure:

Eckhard

Tempting as it is to have the nut showing for a nice decorative effect, I had trouble with one planted like that. When in a pot outside in the wind it rocks on the roots too much, the wind loosens the nut around the soil surface. If the nut is buried the stem takes all of the wind stress which is ok, not the roots flexing.

If inside all of the time it will be fine.

Rob - I'll remove the dome at some point. I'm not sure how many strap leaves it'll push or how big they'll get, but as they're so cute I wanted them to look their best!

Eckhard - Sure! Why not? The seller still has 4 available. If you buy one though, check for ants. Mine had around 60 baby ants nesting under the stem, which you can see I removed.

Steve - This is strictly an indoor palm for me, but I will bury the nut when the foliage gets top-heavy, especially since my soil mix is very friable.