IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

succulent ID please

GDLWyverex

Is this some aloe? Can someone ID it for me please?

Aloe.jpg.e6b45ee83f47b4b7de599d3194b93dc

Thanks

Richard

It resembles Haworthia pumila 

Hi 98°, Lo 64°

• Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

6 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

It resembles Haworthia pumila 

Hi 98°, Lo 64°

or maybe Haworthia reinwardtii

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Richard

51 minutes ago, GDLWyverex said:

or maybe Haworthia reinwardtii

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Richard

I think that I have settled on  haworthia reinwardtii
f. kaffirdriftensis .

There seems to be some confusion as to whether it is a haworthia or a Haworthiopsis. The book of life likes Haworthiopsis but also says that it is in the family asphodelaceae which has been renamed to  xanthorrhoeaceae as far as I know, so I am going with Kew's assessment.

Can someone tell me what the "f." stands for in f. kaffirdriftensis?? I am seeing this type of notation frequently of late in succulent and cactus classification.

Thanks

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

32 minutes ago, GDLWyverex said:

I think that I have settled on  haworthia reinwardtii
f. kaffirdriftensis .

There seems to be some confusion as to whether it is a haworthia or a Haworthiopsis. The book of life likes Haworthiopsis but also says that it is in the family asphodelaceae which has been renamed to  xanthorrhoeaceae as far as I know, so I am going with Kew's assessment.

Can someone tell me what the "f." stands for in f. kaffirdriftensis?? I am seeing this type of notation frequently of late in succulent and cactus classification.

Thanks

Richard

From what i have learned, the "F." in certain species name descriptions is supposed to describe a particular form of a given species.. so, for example, the  f. kaffirdriftensis "form" of the standard species, Haworthia reinwardtii, could present something that makes it distinct from the standard form ( ie: leaves colored / arranged differently, flowers at a different time /season.. might be from an isolated population far removed from the "normal" range the species might be found.. etc) 

Another example would be something like Bursera microphylla.. many different forms of the species can be found spread across it's broad range.. Some forms have especially narrow leaves, others  wider/ longer in length.. or contain more or less leaflets / flowers per cluster. etc.  What had been long considered a specifically distinct form of this plant from the eastern Cape region of Baja was designated as it's own, new species last year. 

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

From what i have learned, the "F." in certain species name descriptions is supposed to describe a particular form of a given species.. so, for example, the  f. kaffirdriftensis "form" of the standard species, Haworthia reinwardtii, could present something that makes it distinct from the standard form ( ie: leaves colored / arranged differently, flowers at a different time /season.. might be from an isolated population far removed from the "normal" range the species might be found.. etc) 

Another example would be something like Bursera microphylla.. many different forms of the species can be found spread across it's broad range.. Some forms have especially narrow leaves, others  wider/ longer in length.. or contain more or less leaflets / flowers per cluster. etc.  What had been long considered a specifically distinct form of this plant from the eastern Cape region of Baja was designated as it's own, new species last year. 

Great, f. equals form. I wonder what makes form different from var or ssp

Richard

not always that easy to tell Haworthia reinhardtii from coarctata... below are some of H coarctata plants

5b2fd12d59b1b_HaworthiacoarctataLACCS.th5b2fd135e56f2_Haworthiacoarctatainveryhe5b2fd14a522c2_HaworthiacoarctatashinyH145b2fd15a99151_Haworthiacoarctatasfront115b2fd15d0cc0c_Haworthiacoarctatasinrockd

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

not always that easy to tell Haworthia reinhardtii from coarctata... below are some of H coarctata plants

So, according to Bayer, coarctata has wider leaves, smaller more rounded, less white tuberlces. The biggest difference is that leaf width of coarctata is almost twice the width of the stem, while reinhardtii is slightly larger (1.2 to 1), hence I will change my labels and the plant database at http://Selva.Cabal.mx to reflect the name h. coarctata for this one.

Thanks for the heads up

Richard