IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum Hoehnei

Laaz

I would say these are easy 9a hardy & pushing 8b.

This one saw multiple nights at around 20F & on night ar 16F with only a cheap plastic tarp thrown over it. It did have spear pull, but is pushing a new spear...

20180616_174435.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The three I had all died from some fungus last summer, I have pretty much given up on wedd's. I'm still on the hunt for Lytocaryum itapebiense I insigne, but as you know they are next to impossible to find...

who would have figured ---- I had them out in Jax under canopy and they survived ---- no burn ----- very tough --------   I will plant t hem out this summer 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I never thought it would be like that resistant,we hope that seeds  in sell on rarepalmseeds

GIUSEPPE

On 17.6.2018, 13:53:50, Laaz said:

The three I had all died from some fungus last summer, I have pretty much given up on wedd's. I'm still on the hunt for Lytocaryum itapebiense I insigne, but as you know they are next to impossible to find...

When Lytos die :violin: I always cry :crying:

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

6 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

I never thought it would be like that resistant,we hope that seeds  in sell on rarepalmseeds

Hmmm in the last decade I've been monitoring rps for hoehnei seeds. They haven't been available. What I did was contact someone with a seeding palm and ask for hem to send some seeds.

I stopped waiting for rps, my hair is turning gray allready.

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

7 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Hmmm in the last decade I've been monitoring rps for hoehnei seeds. They haven't been available. What I did was contact someone with a seeding palm and ask for hem to send some seeds.

I stopped waiting for rps, my hair is turning gray allready.

As L hoehnei is »rare and threatened« I suppose it might be forbidden to collect seeds in the wild and also in botanical gardens. This could be one reason why RPS can’t find seed suppliers since 2003 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/9788171332/in/album-72157669626093034/).

I did not know that rarepalmseeds ,for a long time did not sell these seeds

Floribunda Palms sometimes sells this species, of sure they will have mature plants that produce the seeds that then make germinate and sell

GIUSEPPE

5 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

does anyone know how resistant to cold is the lytocaryum insigne?

It is from the cloud forests in Brazil so I would assume it can take light frosts so probably hardy down to 25 Fahrenheit -3 celcius

Edited by Nj Palms

I'd love to find a few hundred seeds to find out just how hardy they are for sure...

18 hours ago, Laaz said:

I would assume as hardy as Hoehnei or a bit more, as they come from a higher elevation.

I think L insigne is about the same hardy as L weddellianum. And it has more problems with soggy soils.

17 hours ago, Laaz said:

Two new spears pushing after 16F...

20180624_194142.jpg

That's impressive! How did the citrus do?

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I think L insigne is about the same hardy as L weddellianum. And it has more problems with soggy soils.

I do not want to risk it,   winter in the house

GIUSEPPE

The citrus did fine for the most part. The only thing I lost was my blood mandarin, but I have seedlings of it. My Australian blood lime I forgot was out in a container & it  did fine.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2018, 5:23:07, Laaz said:

The citrus did fine for the most part. The only thing I lost was my blood mandarin, but I have seedlings of it. My Australian blood lime I forgot was out in a container & it  did fine.

That is great news! Do you think you will have fruit this Fall from the citrus? Do you grow bananas Laaz? They would do well there too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2018, 19:41:45, Laaz said:
On 25/06/2018, 19:50:43, gyuseppe said:

I do not want to risk it,   winter in the house

I would assume as hardy as Hoehnei or a bit more, as they come from a higher elevation.

My l.wedd had 50% leafburn from -4C. I bought the insigne inside when it went lower than that and there was zero damage.  so its def hardier than l.wedd. 

I loose my Hoehnei this winter. It was in the soil, the minimum temperature was -2°C with snow...:(

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Hello Gilles
are you sure it was Lytocaryum Hoehnei and not Lytocaryum weddellianum?
where did you buy it?

GIUSEPPE

Yea, unless it was really small that doesn't sound like conditions that would kill a Hoehnei.

4 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

Hello Gilles
are you sure it was Lytocaryum Hoehnei and not Lytocaryum weddellianum?
where did you buy it?

Yes Giuseppe, it was a Hoehnei, i bought it from a french collector, but he stopped his activity.

Ciao ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11.7.2018, 10:51:34, gilles06 said:

I loose my Hoehnei this winter. It was in the soil, the minimum temperature was -2°C with snow...:(

Because of the snow it got too wet: Too much water combined with low temps will kill all Lytos. I had similar problems last winter with my strongest L insigne N°1401 at temps above +0°C which almost had killed the palm …

On 24/06/2018 15:41:45, Laaz said:

Easy to understand why L. hoehnei is hardy. It comes from my southern state Paraná and the State of São Paulo in the mountains, with a subtropical climate. In Paraná state it grows in the Parque das Lauráceas. Maybe L. insigne could be as hardy as L. hoenei because it grows at higher altitude in warmer Southeast Brazil

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

19 hours ago, Alberto said:

Easy to understand why L. hoehnei is hardy. It comes from my southern state Paraná and the State of São Paulo in the mountains, with a subtropical climate. In Paraná state it grows in the Parque das Lauráceas. Maybe L. insigne could be as hardy as L. hoenei because it grows at higher altitude in warmer Southeast Brazil

Alberto, seeing as you are most familiar with these palms how would you compare L. Hoehnei to a S. romazoffiana   in terms of cold hardiness? Laaz stated above that these are a " are easy 9a hardy & pushing 8b. " Would you consider that accurate? Queen palms are not usually considered a long term 9a palm. 

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Alberto, seeing as you are most familiar with these palms how would you compare L. Hoehnei to a S. romazoffiana   in terms of cold hardiness? Laaz stated above that these are a " are easy 9a hardy & pushing 8b. " Would you consider that accurate? Queen palms are not usually considered a long term 9a palm. 

5 hours ago, RJ said:

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Since I planted the Lytocaryum hoehnei (maybe 10 years) we had not an "old time" freeze here. Minimum was only close to -5 degrees Celsius. It killed some Chamaedorea costaricana, but didnt touch the L. hoehnei. A real century freeze can be near -10' C, so the habitat of queen palms is a 8b, 9a, 9b here in south Brazil. Not sure about L. hoehnei but 9a at least seems plausible.

• Upvote 2

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

9 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Since I planted the Lytocaryum hoehnei (maybe 10 years) we had not an "old time" freeze here. Minimum was only close to -5 degrees Celsius. It killed some Chamaedorea costaricana, but didnt touch the L. hoehnei. A real century freeze can be near -10' C, so the habitat of queen palms is a 8b, 9a, 9b here in south Brazil. Not sure about L. hoehnei but 9a at least seems plausible.

Alberto, Thank you for the update.

You certainly have much hardier queens then we do state side if they grow reliably in 8b. Wish they would get cultivated here at some point. 

• 1 month later...