Lytocaryum Hoehnei

27 posts in this topic

I would say these are easy 9a hardy & pushing 8b.

This one saw multiple nights at around 20F & on night ar 16F with only a cheap plastic tarp thrown over it. It did have spear pull, but is pushing a new spear...

 

 

 

20180616_174435.jpg

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are the wedds looking? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The three I had all died from some fungus last summer, I have pretty much given up on wedd's. I'm still on the hunt for Lytocaryum itapebiense I insigne, but as you know they are next to impossible to find...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who would have figured ---- I had them out in Jax under canopy and they survived ---- no burn ----- very tough --------   I will plant t hem out this summer 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought it would be like that resistant,we hope that seeds  in sell on rarepalmseeds

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.6.2018, 13:53:50, Laaz said:

The three I had all died from some fungus last summer, I have pretty much given up on wedd's. I'm still on the hunt for Lytocaryum itapebiense I insigne, but as you know they are next to impossible to find...

When Lytos die :violin: I always cry :crying:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

I never thought it would be like that resistant,we hope that seeds  in sell on rarepalmseeds

Hmmm in the last decade I've been monitoring rps for hoehnei seeds. They haven't been available. What I did was contact someone with a seeding palm and ask for hem to send some seeds.

I stopped waiting for rps, my hair is turning gray allready.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

I never thought it would be like that resistant,we hope that seeds  in sell on rarepalmseeds

 

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Hmmm in the last decade I've been monitoring rps for hoehnei seeds. They haven't been available. What I did was contact someone with a seeding palm and ask for hem to send some seeds.

I stopped waiting for rps, my hair is turning gray allready.

As L hoehnei is »rare and threatened« I suppose it might be forbidden to collect seeds in the wild and also in botanical gardens. This could be one reason why RPS can’t find seed suppliers since 2003 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/9788171332/in/album-72157669626093034/).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not know that rarepalmseeds ,for a long time did not sell these seeds

Floribunda Palms sometimes sells this species, of sure they will have mature plants that produce the seeds that then make germinate and sell
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone know how resistant to cold is the lytocaryum insigne?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume as hardy as Hoehnei or a bit more, as they come from a higher elevation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

does anyone know how resistant to cold is the lytocaryum insigne?

It is from the cloud forests in Brazil so I would assume it can take light frosts so probably hardy down to 25 Fahrenheit -3 celcius

Edited by Nj Palms
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say much lower.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two new spears pushing after 16F...

 

 

20180624_194142.jpg

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to find a few hundred seeds to find out just how hardy they are for sure...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Laaz said:

I would assume as hardy as Hoehnei or a bit more, as they come from a higher elevation.

I think L insigne is about the same hardy as L weddellianum. And it has more problems with soggy soils.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Laaz said:

Two new spears pushing after 16F...

 

 

20180624_194142.jpg

That's impressive! How did the citrus do?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I think L insigne is about the same hardy as L weddellianum. And it has more problems with soggy soils.


I do not want to risk it,   winter in the house

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The citrus did fine for the most part. The only thing I lost was my blood mandarin, but I have seedlings of it. My Australian blood lime I forgot was out in a container & it  did fine.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2018, 5:23:07, Laaz said:

The citrus did fine for the most part. The only thing I lost was my blood mandarin, but I have seedlings of it. My Australian blood lime I forgot was out in a container & it  did fine.

That is great news! Do you think you will have fruit this Fall from the citrus? Do you grow bananas Laaz? They would do well there too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/06/2018, 19:41:45, Laaz said:
On 25/06/2018, 19:50:43, gyuseppe said:


I do not want to risk it,   winter in the house

I would assume as hardy as Hoehnei or a bit more, as they come from a higher elevation.

My l.wedd had 50% leafburn from -4C. I bought the insigne inside when it went lower than that and there was zero damage.  so its def hardier than l.wedd. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loose my Hoehnei this winter. It was in the soil, the minimum temperature was -2°C with snow...:(

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Gilles
are you sure it was Lytocaryum Hoehnei and not Lytocaryum weddellianum?
where did you buy it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, unless it was really small that doesn't sound like conditions that would kill a Hoehnei.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

Hello Gilles
are you sure it was Lytocaryum Hoehnei and not Lytocaryum weddellianum?
where did you buy it?

Yes Giuseppe, it was a Hoehnei, i bought it from a french collector, but he stopped his activity.

Ciao ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-2C should not faze a Hoehnei.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11.7.2018, 10:51:34, gilles06 said:

I loose my Hoehnei this winter. It was in the soil, the minimum temperature was -2°C with snow...:(

Because of the snow it got too wet: Too much water combined with low temps will kill all Lytos. I had similar problems last winter with my strongest L insigne N°1401 at temps above +0°C which almost had killed the palm …

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • Lytocaryum hoehnei
      By Pal Meir
      Two weeks ago on 2016-08-04 I got from Kai @Kai five Lytocaryum hoehnei seeds. Today – only 15 days later – the first seedling showed its still very sleepy looking eye: