IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Josue Diaz

I thought of posting this under the Tropical Plants other than Palms" forum, but these plants are definitely not tropical, and the main theme of my post is off topic so here it goes :)

I've always enjoyed spending time in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I live within an hour of Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP and Kings Canyon NP. I'm very fortunate to be so close to all these wonderful parks (although I try to avoid Yosemite because of the crowds!) In the last 3 years I started getting into rock climbing, and with Yosemite being the holy grail for climbers, I knew it was only a matter of time before I got up on one of the "big walls." 

This weekend, a group of friends and I did a 7-pitch climb up the southern face of Half Dome. It was definitely one of my most memorable experiences in the park so far. I thought I'd share some photos of the climb with you all, as well as photos of local plants. Hope you enjoy!

• Upvote 2

This is from our approach to the dome. We approached from Little Yosemite Valley. 

You'll notice us in the foreground :P

Resized_20180613_062750_9041.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Some interesting plants along the way. Rhododendron occidentalis - this was very abundant along streams and areas with plenty of water. These flowers were fragrant too. 

20180613_065126.jpg

20180613_065132.jpg

• Upvote 5

Sarcodes sanguinea typically bloom in spring, but there were still a few around in shaded areas. These plants are in the ericaceae family. They lack chlorophyll which gives them the blood-red color.

20180613_065310.jpg

• Upvote 5

Dudleya cymosa - this little succulent is abundant even as high as 8000 feet on exposed, rocky cliffsides. Incredibly tough plant given they are covered in snow during the winter. 

20180613_070356.jpg

• Upvote 4

Castilleja sp. There are several species of these. I've tried several times to grow these from seed unsuccessfully. They never make it past seedling stage. 

20180613_071001.jpg

• Upvote 4

Penstemon newberyi - another alpine species that is terribly hard to grow outside of an alpine climate, but very abundant in its native range. 

20180613_072202.jpg

• Upvote 5

Unfortunately, i didn't get many pictures during the climb, but here is one from about pitch 4, looking up at my climbing partner anchored at the top of the pitch. 

20180613_103707.jpg

• Upvote 5

That's definitely not a view I'll see in person (not crazy about heights) so thanks for posting! The colorful plants are beautiful and such a nice reward for anyone who treks there.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

And a final victory shot at the top! :D 

El Capitan is in the background waaayyy back there, directly above the guy in the yellow shirt's hat. Now that's next level climbing. 

20180615_114258.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

That's definitely not a view I'll see in person (not crazy about heights) so thanks for posting! The colorful plants are beautiful and such a nice reward for anyone who treks there.

You're welcome! 

The trick is to not think about how high up you are! I know, easy for me to say :P 

• Upvote 1

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

..Also not the greatest with heights but have done some climbing myself ( kind of a requirement when researching / analyzing hard to access plants).

No doubt this was an great experience.  Excellent narrative on the plants on the way up as well.

As far as Indian Paintbrush, have also tried numerous times to grow these from seed to no avail. Pretty certain a majority of the Genus have very specific host plants( esp. grasses) to grow properly/ if at all. 

Western Azalea can be grown in the garden but will require very exact conditions( moist feet, deep, rocky soil, possibly Serpentine in nature in some populations. 

Anyway, a really good  Climbing- oriented documentary worth checking out: Valley Uprising, if you haven't already seen it. 

Thinking your next climbing excursion should be a trip out here to take on the Superstitions or Sabino Canyon:D

• Upvote 2

Josue: Enjoyed your Yosemite summit pictorial, esp. those great native plant images in habitat. I was out of breath, vicariously, during your ascent.:o

[I've also not had much success growing Castilleja (whether that was Indian Paintbrush or Owl's Clover) near a host plant.]

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing. Looks fun. What was the rating on this 7 pitch? 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 6/15/2018, 12:16:28, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

..Also not the greatest with heights but have done some climbing myself ( kind of a requirement when researching / analyzing hard to access plants).

No doubt this was an great experience.  Excellent narrative on the plants on the way up as well.

As far as Indian Paintbrush, have also tried numerous times to grow these from seed to no avail. Pretty certain a majority of the Genus have very specific host plants( esp. grasses) to grow properly/ if at all. 

Western Azalea can be grown in the garden but will require very exact conditions( moist feet, deep, rocky soil, possibly Serpentine in nature in some populations. 

Anyway, a really good  Climbing- oriented documentary worth checking out: Valley Uprising, if you haven't already seen it. 

Thinking your next climbing excursion should be a trip out here to take on the Superstitions or Sabino Canyon:D

I'll actually be in Northern Arizona in two weeks! Planning on spending some time at Black Mountains near Kingman doing some climbing. I bet Arizona has great climbing with so many canyons everywhere. 

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks for sharing. Looks fun. What was the rating on this 7 pitch? 

Hi Len, the first two (three, if you use an optional belay) are 5.7. The remaining 5 pitches are 5.4 - totally doable. They're all really run out though (80 feet or more), so trad pro (cams and slings) are necessary unless you're ok with "free soloing" from anchor or anchor on some of the middle pitches. The 5.7 pitches are run out on slab also, and there's a traverse which is pretty sketchy, and with so much slack on the rope, a slip would make you swing out really far. 

11 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I'll actually be in Northern Arizona in two weeks! Planning on spending some time at Black Mountains near Kingman doing some climbing. I bet Arizona has great climbing with so many canyons everywhere. 

Hi Len, the first two (three, if you use an optional belay) are 5.7. The remaining 5 pitches are 5.4 - totally doable. They're all really run out though (80 feet or more), so trad pro (cams and slings) are necessary unless you're ok with "free soloing" from anchor or anchor on some of the middle pitches. The 5.7 pitches are run out on slab also, and there's a traverse which is pretty sketchy, and with so much slack on the rope, a slip would make you swing out really far. 

For sure.. anywhere in the state ( except maybe down by Yuma) is a rock climbing paradise. Even around Phoenix, places like Camelback, and Papago Park are fairly popular climbing spots. Then, of course, you have the Superstitions just east of town.

Up north in rim country, you have lots of options and it is generally cooler this time of year.  Monsoon season and fall / spring are perhaps the better times of year to explore areas around Tucson (Sabino Canyon / Mt. Lemmon / Rincon Mtn country)  and the more remote areas along the Borderlands ( Cochise Stronghold / Chiricahua Nat. Monument, etc) 

While all places offer great views, areas in S.E. AZ like Chiricahua, the Dragoons, and mountains closer to the border have some of the most dramatic landscapes across the state. This region is also where you start seeing more Tropical-esque type vegetation ( and animals) mixed in among California-like Oak Woodlands and Grasslands.

Was hoping to get down there to do some exploring this summer but off the table for now. 

17 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

That’s a good, fun route not requiring tons of gym or outdoor training. My kind of route. :)

Climbing Cotopaxi in Nov. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

It's been a long time since I hiked up to the top of Half Dome via the traditional route using the cables. What a spectacular view, though. I'll never forget it. Great photos and commentary! Thanks for sharing your climb, that looked awesome.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

15 hours ago, LJG said:

That’s a good, fun route not requiring tons of gym or outdoor training. My kind of route. :)

Climbing Cotopaxi in Nov. 

I was climbing Cotopaxi 18 years ago. Very nice place and if you have a nice weather, will be a easy climb. When i was in Cotopaxi, i had strong wids, snow and a very cold temps. But now, with the global warming i am sure this volcanoe is a warm place.

12 hours ago, Monòver said:

I was climbing Cotopaxi 18 years ago. Very nice place and if you have a nice weather, will be a easy climb. When i was in Cotopaxi, i had strong wids, snow and a very cold temps. But now, with the global warming i am sure this volcanoe is a warm place.

Yes, true. But with that comes more dangers of rock fall and an unstable glacier. Strong winds and cold temps aren’t fun :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin