IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus recovery update

palm789

It is still green but the leaflets are still folded and it the palm looks ragged,the tallest spear looks like it's opening but I'm not sure if wind caused it to split/open,it was dug up last August 1st 2017 with 20% roots left out of a 100%,I couldn't get much roots as was in the ground solid,can anyone tell me what's going on with this palm?I got hydrogen peroxide 6% just incase but when should I use it?would mycorrhizal fungi help the roots?when will the palm produce more spears?

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0215.JPG

DSC_0214.JPG

Edited by palm789
Additional picture

I can’t believe no one has helped you. I have a windmill like yours it has done this. Because of too much water and eventually root damage. I have put it really good drainage soil with a root recovery it is doing. Better. But my only mistake has. Been leaving it in full sun   I just moved it in too part sun to help it recover 

Try a sea kelp and fish fertilizer spoon feeding and try monitor the soil wetness. Also some kind of mulch or stone on top of that soil could help as well. I can show you a root damaged trachycarpus and it looks alot worse than yours. By the way yours looks fine.VideoCapture_20180616-213114.thumb.jpg.0

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

My garden gets either full sun or full shade,no such thing as part shade here,should I put it in full shade?will that help it pull through?and I will stop watering and wait till soil dries out between waterings

Full sun in England is the same as full shade here so that's not a problem.

• Upvote 1

What else can I do to help root regeneration and speed up the recovery of this palm.

This palm is in full sun,should I move it into shade,will the boiling heat and sun slow down and damage the palm.what benefit will it have if moved into full shade?

This palm is in full sun,should I move it into shade,will the boiling heat and sun slow down and damage the palm.what benefit will it have if moved into full shade?

Bump

Trachycarpus Fortuneii grow really nicely in full shade in England. The leaves will be greener and the crown will be fuller in time when grown in full shade. Save your sunny spots in the garden for your palms that love and need the sun. And I totally agree with TexasColdHardyPalms that you should plant it the ground if you want it to look it's best. 

If I take this out of the pot and either plant it in the ground (if landlord let me) or put it in a bigger pot with better soil will it delay and set it back again?I checked the soil in the pot is a mix of clay and multipurpose compost,I'm considering planting in 50/50 John innes no3 and perlite or a bigger pot,reason why I found out clay stunts root growth and I want this palm to recover.

Edited by palm789

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering putting it in the bin now,even through 32degrees high heat and nighttime temps of 15degrees,none of the spears have moved,and the leaves have gone lighter in colour,I've tried mycorrhizal fungi,palmbooster root hormone stimulant,slow release fert and maxicrop seaweed extract,and still nothing,would you keep this palm,I'm not sure if to replace it with another fortunei.

• 5 weeks later...

Update the fronds are slowly turning yellow and leafs are closed up and drooping sideways,and spears not even moving,i put some 6% hydrogen peroxide in the crown and it fizzed up deep inside the trunk'is that good or bad?would this palm regenerate/recover faster if i prune half of the last of the fronds?is it dead?what can man do its been like this since transplant august 2017

20180817_124331.jpg

@palm789 Fizzing up is typically considered bad since it indicates there are microbes in the area.  When I put peroxide in my now deceased archontophoenix alexandrae, it fizzed like a soda bottle that was shook up and then opened.  If you want to see if it is dead, give the spear a gentle tug and see if it moves or comes out.  If it does, it might be on its way to the compost pile.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Just now, kinzyjr said:

@palm789 Fizzing up is typically considered bad since it indicates there are microbes in the area.  When I put peroxide in my now deceased archontophoenix alexandrae, it fizzed like a soda bottle that was shook up and then opened.  If you want to see if it is dead, give the spear a gentle tug and see if it moves or comes out.  If it does, it might be on its way to the compost pile.

Update the fronds are slowly turning yellow and leafs are closed up and drooping sideways,and spears not even moving,i put some 6% hydrogen peroxide in the crown and it fizzed up deep inside the trunk'is that good or bad?would this palm regenerate/recover faster if i prune half of the last of the fronds?is it dead?what can man do its been like this since transplant august 2017

I pulled as hard as i could and they wont budge,they are in solid.

@palm789 If the spear didn't pull, it's not dead.  I wouldn't prune any green off of it.  For now, try just letting it be and see if it recovers.  If not, get another one.  That's just my opinion on it.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My t.fortunei was small enough I took it out of the pot. Removed all the soil. Cut off the rotted roots and dipped the roots in a pale of hydrogen peroxide for an hour until the fizzing stopped. Then I replanted in a very well draining mix with a ton of oxygen available and now for the first time in a year my palm has started growing again

Palms are sometimes very slow to recover, especially with lack of heat. Good luck with yours, I hope it comes back.