IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Does a Ch. hookeriana ever stop clustering?

Steve Mac

We have some Dypsis lutescens, I cut out the extra trunks that I didn't want, and now it has stopped making new shoots. Perfect, low maintenance no trouble.

Our Chamaedorea hooperiana clump however is more demanding, I need to constantly cut out new shoots or it becomes an impenetrable thicket.

Will it ever stop this behaviour like the Dypsis has? 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

The title mentions hookeriana...

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Oh yes, that is my typo, thanks for that Alex, but I can't change it now.

Thank goodness that the people who can help me will know what I mean.

Cheers Steve

12 hours ago, gtsteve said:

We have some Dypsis lutescens, I cut out the extra trunks that I didn't want, and now it has stopped making new shoots. Perfect, low maintenance no trouble.

Our Chamaedorea hooperiana clump however is more demanding, I need to constantly cut out new shoots or it becomes an impenetrable thicket.

Will it ever stop this behaviour like the Dypsis has? 

While I can't answer the question, I'm curious how big your clump is and how long you have had it in the ground?  I have one that I kept in a 7 gallon pot in my entryway for many years before finally dropping it into the ground about 3 years ago.  Thus far no problem with it becoming a thicket requiring thinning, but it sounds like it's much smaller and younger than yours.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Steve, Tracy, I've had one in the ground for about 8 or 9 years now and have never had to prune or thin out any canes. Seems to be a very light clumper

and in fact, hasn't had any new canes for quite awhile now. It's an ok palm for me and kind of gets lost amongst all the other stuff. Just takes care of itself and I have

to remind myself that it's there, like this morning when I took this photo. Well, that was quite a rousing endorsement.

Tim

P1050750.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I planted 3 C. hooperiana on the east side of the house 3-4 years ago. So far they have 2-3 stems each but haven't formed a thicket. Tim, I can't wait until their trunks are as tall a yours.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Looking at the pics of those ones it seems that my Hoops were multi planted in the pot and I didn't know.

So subsequently they are too crowded. I'll just have to keep thinning them out I guess.

It has been in the ground about 7 or 8 years, it is a bit shorter than Tims, I keep it back to about six or eight stems, but it will double or triple that in no time if I let it. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve