IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Verschaffeltia splendida Seedlings - tiny, spiny Darlings

PalmatierMeg

I have 10 Verschaffeltia splendida seedlings germinating. These little guys are born with attitude and slew of spines - this species does not kid around. I bought the seeds from a seller in Thailand. He claims they came from his "dwarf" mother palm in his yard. That intrigued me and the price included shipping so I gave them a go. They were very fresh and I got 100% germination. My husband will conniption fit when he sees them in their spiny glory so I will have to sell most of them when they are bigger. But I'm prepared to pull on the leather gloves when I face off with them. They are fast growers too. I took the following photos today.

Verschaffeltia splendida seedlings

5b21879193862_Verschaffeltiasplendida0105b2187a2bde07_Verschaffeltiasplendida0205b2187b035e5c_Verschaffeltiasplendida0305b2187b994340_Verschaffeltiasplendida.th5b2187c875f9d_Verschaffeltiasplendida050

• Upvote 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

hahah, I bought the same seeds from the same seller :) 3 of 10 germinated so far

How long did it take for yours to germinate?

26 minutes ago, beliz1985 said:

hahah, I bought the same seeds from the same seller :) 3 of 10 germinated so far

How long did it take for yours to germinate?

I think the first one came up about a month ago.

Meg

Florida

These palms are so worth it! Eventually, when they grow up to adulthood, the spines are no longer within human reach. Beautiful leaves and form. Try to convince the husband. You may have to promise to take care of them all by yourself. Easier than Pigafetta if hat helps. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

13 hours ago, Kim said:

These palms are so worth it! Eventually, when they grow up to adulthood, the spines are no longer within human reach. Beautiful leaves and form. Try to convince the husband. You may have to promise to take care of them all by yourself. Easier than Pigafetta if hat helps. :)

Palm care is totally my responsibility. He likes the Livistonas but hates these kind of spines. My biggest hurdle may be getting them through the winter. I've read they are quite cold sensitive. But, hey, I will have tried.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida