Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cycad id please

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can someone please id the cycad pictured in the inset image below?

cycad.PNG

Edited by paquicuba

cycas thouarsii maybe

7 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

cycas thouarsii maybe

It certainly looks like a Thouarsii. I was wondering what it was 'cause someone is giving it away. I'm kind of far from Englewood, but someone can get a large specimen for free if he/she has the tools. 

49 minutes ago, paquicuba said:

It certainly looks like a Thouarsii. I was wondering what it was 'cause someone is giving it away. I'm kind of far from Englewood, but someone can get a large specimen for free if he/she has the tools. 

that would be a score!

It could be thorsarii, rumphii or circinalis. ANY cycas species that size would be considered a huge score, especially for free. That thing is a monster. 

6 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

cycas thouarsii maybe

If it is Cycas thouarsii, someone has been busy trimming off pups!  By the time that thouarsii gets to coning size, it has usually pupped at least once in my experience, and continues to do so after coning.  I have a very difficult time distinguishing between thouarsii, rumphii and circinalis.  Btw:  the post should have been over in the tropical plants other than palms section.

5 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Btw:  the post should have been over in the tropical plants other than palms section.

Got ya! I'll keep that in mind for the next time :blush:

1 minute ago, paquicuba said:

8 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Btw:  the post should have been over in the tropical plants other than palms section.

Got ya! I'll keep that in mind for the next time :blush:

Good and Plenty of Cycad posts over there! :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• What is this two cycads ??
      By alvinckc
      什麼是這兩個蘇鐵?雖然我已經買了兩年了。

1。

• Is this Zamia angustifolia? If not, what is it?
      By PalmatierMeg
      I got this cute little Zamia at the Palm Beach sale several years ago. I believe it was tagged Zamia angustifolia but the tag got lost over time. It is unarmed. Can someone confirm just what this little guy is? It looks like it may be fixing to cone.
      Untagged Zamia

• Cycad ID - Is this an Encephalartos?
      By PalmatierMeg
      I just repotted the pictured blue-green cycad and couldn't find any nametag. I think it came from a palm friend in CA. It looks like an Encephalartos to me but I'm no expert. Could someone please give me its correct name?
      I also have a general question about Encephalartos: Are most of them growable in FL's hot, humid, rainy summers or do the require more arid climates? Do blue Encephalartos lose their blueness in humid climates?
      Thanks for helping out. Photos below
      Cycad for ID

• Encephalartos (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons
      By Tracy
      I have been enticed by the various Encephalartos latifrons hybrids and woodii hybrids.  I haven't seen a woodii hybrid yet that shows any blue, but with the latifrons there is some hope.  My still small Encephalartos (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons hardened off its last flush earlier this summer, and I noticed that its showing a little bit of the wax that gives "blue" cycads their color.  In that it is still young, I'm hopeful that as it matures it will increasingly show this color.  I know that there was a batch of seedlings sold a couple of years ago, so I'm curious if anyone else who acquired this hybrid is seeing color on their plants.  Being a hybrid, there was also an interesting variety of genetic diversity among the seedlings.  So if you have one of these, please share what yours is doing now.  By the way, while there was a hint of wax on an earlier flush, it was significantly less than on the current flush.  I also am growing an E. blue arenarius x latifrons and an E blue form arenarius x latifrons, which are very blue but don't show much of the classic latifrons stacking and overlapping leaflets yet.  With those, I'm hoping they start looking more like latifrons, as they do have the nice blue color.

• Encepahalartos Species
      By Palm Tree Jim
      Once again, I find myself redesigning a part of my garden. So I have these 2 large cycads for sale. 
      The first one is E. manakensis Mt. Garuso. The caudex is approximately 16" across and 16" in height.
      Not sure on the sex since it has yet to cone for me.
      Price is $200.

The second cycad is E. lebomboensis Piet Retief form. The caudex is approximatley 15" across and 12" in height.
      This plant is a female as it has coned for me.
      Price is $200.

No trades or shipping. You dig and take away.
      Thanks for looking!
      PM me or text/call @ 949-348-1735