IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New cinder paths amongst the Pinangas

Justin

I have some "paved" paths around the garden, but also had a bunch of "off-road" paths where I'd just hacked through and stomped around a bunch, then sprayed/pulled over the years.  The problem with these off-road paths, though, was that I worried about tripping over or stepping on the Ohia roots, and Ohias are notoriously finicky about all sorts of things, particularly with the ROD going around.  So I've been slowly but surely "paving" some of these paths. 

The first step is filling the low areas with sizeable pieces of lava, roughly on the order of 3-12" in diameter.  Then above that goes the 1-3" cinder, that I have a big pile of.  Then finally on top goes the tiny black cinder.  Doing it this way, the smaller rocks fill in the gaps and solidify the whole path.  If you used only the tiny cinder, it would almost be like quicksand, as it would just squish everywhere.

The other day (when we had some good trade winds going and no rain), I put in some paths around my Pinangas.  Here in the first shot is a Pinanga sp. "Langer" that comes from a tree at Bill Langer's place.  That's the clumper on the right.  On the left is a Pinanga speciosa, which hasn't been the greatest performer for me, but seems to have come around a bit the last 6 months:

DSC08749.jpg

• Upvote 3

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Pinanga caesia

DSC08750.jpg

• Upvote 3

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Pinanga philippinensis (I think).  [By the way, if any of these descriptions look wrong, speak up, as I may have mixed up which is which.  I have all the correct names from what I purchased, but my descriptions of what is where aren't 100% bulletproof, particularly when so many Pinangas are in more or less the same spot.]

DSC08751.jpg

• Upvote 3

I think these three are maculata, glaucescens, and wataniana.  Any input on which is which, however, would be greatly appreciated:

DSC08752.jpg

• Upvote 2

Closer shot of the two smaller ones from the photo above:

DSC08754.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nearby (just off to the right from where the picture above was taken) is a still-dirt path that leads over to another area where I started to pave this week.  That area is still largely undeveloped, except for a bunch of Ohia trees that thankfully are in good health.  Their roots were all exposed, however, and I worried constantly about breaking them or irritating them.  Here's one area that's now paved going right over the roots, to a Cyphophoenix nucele.

DSC08785.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just off the right of the path above are two tiny palms that are doing well, and hopefully stay that way - a Silver Joey and a Licuala mapu

DSC08787.jpg

• Upvote 3

And here's the last remaining dirt path, which I'll pave one of these years.  The Pinanga area is directly in front (you can see one of them at the base of the Ohia), and the Cyphophoenix and the other new path is to my left.  The tiny palm on the left is the larger of my two Sabinarias.

DSC08789.jpg

• Upvote 2

From left to right, caesia, "Langer," speciosa

DSC08791.jpg

• Upvote 3

Great pictures Justin. I'm all about the Pinangas out here. I need to go visit Bill Langer and see if he has any seedlings of that special Pinanga he's got. I just saw a big one at Bill Austin's place and the color is unreal on those! 

18 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Great pictures Justin. I'm all about the Pinangas out here. I need to go visit Bill Langer and see if he has any seedlings of that special Pinanga he's got. I just saw a big one at Bill Austin's place and the color is unreal on those! 

I got mine from Bill Austin, actually.

Pinanga's are a great palm and thanks for sharing.

Now, that mapu variation is killer!

Hope Pele's avoiding you @Justin! Or at least keeping distance.

I'm in love with Pinangas, even more after your pictures. How about Ptychospermas?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hope Pele's avoiding you @Justin! Or at least keeping distance.

I'm in love with Pinangas, even more after your pictures. How about Ptychospermas?

Dave, these are the only Ptychospermas on the property, near the street as a hedge for some privacy (otherwise cars and pedestrians coming up the street had a straight line of sight into our upstairs bedroom):

DSC08831.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Justin - Has the SO2 (sulfuric oxide) gas affected any of your palms?

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B