IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to Move a Latania

EdPindo

Any tips on moving the blue latania ground planted for 14 years in sand. Slow growing, but has very large fronds at this point. Base itself is about 3 ft high.

Can this be moved to a container for an extended period of time.  I prefer to not lose this palm as I prep to sell the property.

Many Thanks

E

I don't know how root sensitive the Latans are so I hope someone who does chimes in. If Latans are root sensitive you may have a serious problem moving it. Here's what I and other people have done to move a root tolerant palm. Ideally, you will need 4-6 weeks or more so don't wait until the last minute.

Try to allow the largest rootball you can. I would mark out a 24"x24" or more square with the palm in the center. With a shovel or pick trench down one side of the square as deep as I can. By doing this you are severing the roots close to the trunk. Then wait so the palm can begin repairs on damaged roots. After one week trench a second side of the square. Wait one week, then trench the third side, continue until you've trenched all around the palm. Wait another 1-2 weeks. Finally, undercut the bottom of the rootball to lift palm out of hole, then pot it. Keep pot out of full sun and give the rootball a soaking if it is dry. Do not fertilize for several months. If the palm has  a lot of leaves, cut off some of the older ones. While it is repairing its root system it cannot support a full crown of leaves.

How long you can keep it in a pot I don't know. Photos will help. And if Latans detest root disturbance all bets may be off and you may have to decide whether to dig it up or leave it behind.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

They are closely related to bismarckia, hyphaene and medemia so i would presume they will be really root sensitive and difficult to move. Only way to sucessfully move it will most likely involve a 3 month gradual root prune.