IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona decora / ribbon palms

Umbrae

Planted some large ribbon palms at the nursery today, we had to clear out a spot for an upcoming house build , and i couldnt find a buyer for a quick sale so i decided to gussy up one of the shade houses ....

20180526_103622.jpg

20180526_103143.jpg

• Upvote 5

I leaned them over like this so they will curve back and the heads shouldnt drop trash, seeds etc onto shade house, we will finish out landscaping with some copernicias and probably some more crotons ..altbough my crotons took one heck of a hit this last winter  

20180530_141153.jpg

• Upvote 4

Nice. That’s one palm I want in my collection. They’re so hard to come by though. Haven’t seen them for sale anywhere around here :(

Edited by Estlander

7 hours ago, Estlander said:

Nice. That’s one palm I want in my collection. They’re so hard to come by though. Haven’t seen them for sale anywhere around here :(

I have been trying to germinate some seeds but so far no luck either. Is this a tough palm or what?

• Like 1

Here they grow like weeds, take the cold well, i have seen them on the side of interstate 45 in Houston headed to Galveston growing quite well with no maintenance or care. Seed if it is good and fresh should germinate quite easily 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi,

hae some seedlings from Taipei City which had been identified as Livistona decora by some EPS memebers (picture of the mothers attached). Germination was that easy, before I came home from Taiwan they alreday germinated inside the bag with wet paper towel.

Can someone confirm its L. decora?

Eckhard

20170301_212425.jpg

• Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

14 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi,

hae some seedlings from Taipei City which had been identified as Livistona decora by some EPS memebers (picture of the mothers attached). Germination was that easy, before I came home from Taiwan they alreday germinated inside the bag with wet paper towel.

Can someone confirm its L. decora?

Eckhard

20170301_212425.jpg

None of them is decora!

• Upvote 1

Hi  Konstantino, 

thanks for your help. What do you think they are? Seeds where blue outside (picture attached)

Eckhard

20170306_221116.jpg

• Upvote 1

Not an expert on the genus lol. It just happens that decora's leaf shape is very distinctive. What was the real color of gathered fruits, black, jade-green, blue or what? The shape of seed, and location suggest rather an asian sp. 

• Upvote 1

I have to ask how hardy are these?

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Konstantinos,

the seeds where dark blue.

Eckhard

Edited by Palmensammler

Chinensis are blue. Decora ripen up black- might be a dark dark blue for a little while.

Look up Palm_Flora on the auction site if you really want a decora. I saw he's got one there but the plant is all the way on the west coast here in california.

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Very nice! Haven't heard of a ribbon palm before. Can't tell very well from.the pictures.  Is it pinnate? By the looks of some of the trunks, is it a self cleaning palm?

I'm on my cell. Hence I can't see the pics in detail.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I have seen them on Hilton Head Island, S.C. Big tall ones. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Spelling Errors

PalmTreeDude

L. decora is costapalmate, but the leaves are so heavily divided that it has a near pinnate look. The trunks are self cleaning once they get about 15' of trunk, and then there are some lower boots that are persistent at the base. Mine took about 12 years to self clean from a 15 gallon size. It's pretty bullet proof in southern California. Up here to the north they are hardy as well. Fast growers.

Edited by Patrick
added info.
  • Upvote 2

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

4 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I have to ask how hardy are these?

L. decora has taken down to upper teens and suffered foliar damage. At about 14F spear pulls. But it grows fast enough to quickly recover from cold damage. Great palm! I have 3 large ones I grew from 3g. For some reason, L. chinensis, the most common sp available, doesn't seem to grow or look well here - often stunted & scraggly with yellow-green leaves. Decora is far superior in my area. I also have L. nitida, drudei, saribus, australis, fulva, benthamii & muellerii. Australis is almost as fast as decora and a very handsome palm. Saribus is slower and the green form grows better for me. The others are much slower although my fulva & benthamii are still very young. Muellerii is quite slow but grows fairly well.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We loaded the last ten today and the ninjas will install them while i am on the road making deliveries 

20180531_092439.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

One out of place sylvestris will go back to the HQ as well, pre curved for our convenience 

20180531_093538.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

L. decora has taken down to upper teens and suffered foliar damage. At about 14F spear pulls. But it grows fast enough to quickly recover from cold damage. Great palm! I have 3 large ones I grew from 3g. For some reason, L. chinensis, the most common sp available, doesn't seem to grow or look well here - often stunted & scraggly with yellow-green leaves. Decora is far superior in my area. I also have L. nitida, drudei, saribus, australis, fulva, benthamii & muellerii. Australis is almost as fast as decora and a very handsome palm. Saribus is slower and the green form grows better for me. The others are much slower although my fulva & benthamii are still very young. Muellerii is quite slow but grows fairly well.

Ahh figured Id ask as my l. Chinensis started growing from the trunks and they did not spear pull after seeing single digit for long periods of time. Sadly they will only look pretty for a few months before January or February when the fronds die.

This was about 2 weeks ago and with the heat and humidity they are getting faster. Figured Id see if it was similar to chinensis. Thanks for the info!20180526_180657.thumb.jpg.2f9ce5b67a661b

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

17 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi  Konstantino, 

thanks for your help. What do you think they are? Seeds where blue outside (picture attached)

Eckhard

20170306_221116.jpg

These look a lot like L. speciosa seeds. According to palmpedia, the seeds on these are blue-green.

Edited by Josue Diaz

9 hours ago, Patrick said:

L. decora is costapalmate, but the leaves are so heavily divided that it has a near pinnate look. The trunks are self cleaning once they get about 15' of trunk, and then there are some lower boots that are persistent at the base. Mine took about 12 years to self clean from a 15 gallon size. It's pretty bullet proof in southern California. Up here to the north they are hardy as well. Fast growers.

Thank you.  Costapalmate and self-cleaning palm! Amazing!!!!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 5/30/2018, 6:08:16, Umbrae said:

I leaned them over like this so they will curve back and the heads shouldnt drop trash, seeds etc onto shade house, we will finish out landscaping with some copernicias and probably some more crotons ..altbough my crotons took one heck of a hit this last winter  

20180530_141153.jpg

That lineup will look great in a few months with full crowns. Good work

A very much, under appreciated palm that should be seen a lot more both in the home and commercial landscape. As much as someone might swoon over the sight of a grove of tall Mex. Fans, (attractive no doubt)  the silhouette created by tall L. decora could easily rival the look. I keep trying to convince my seedlings into growing a little faster:P

A couple pictures from Kopsick in St. Pete, FL. Taken on Dec. 24, 2014, (1st picture) and Feb 2016 (2nd picture). 

With Bismarckia..
SAM_3619.JPG.bb7724f2e109ddcaa048e5c3dbe

Stand alone
DSCN0462.JPG.94e0cd2759170c5f658e8292211

• Upvote 1

Decora are less hardy than chilensis.  I have a hundred 3g decora @$8 eea. 

49 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Decora are less hardy than chilensis.  I have a hundred 3g decora @$8 eea. 

Good deal. Decoras are one of the most elegant Livistonas and so fast & easy. I have 3.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Both of mine were killed this past winter by the freak ice storm we had & a night of 16F. One had about 8 ft of trunk & wad planted 15 years ago, the other had 3 ft of trunk.

Sorry to hear you lost them, Laaz.  I guess I was under the mistaken impression that these would survive mid-teens when mature, but obviously not if precipitation and long freezes are included.

• Upvote 1

L. Chilensis will survive single digits when mature. My 15' decora died this year at 13 degrees. 6'ct chilensis in 45g pots survived 8f at the nursery.  

On 6/1/2018, 6:24:37, Laaz said:

Both of mine were killed this past winter by the freak ice storm we had & a night of 16F. One had about 8 ft of trunk & wad planted 15 years ago, the other had 3 ft of trunk.

Laaz, will you replant some decora since they grow so fast? Doubt you will have such a winter for a while if decades. How bout your Queen palms? will you replant those?

37 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Umbrae Jungle Tunnel looks bad ass!

TCHP, thanks it still has a long way to go 

these things germinate so fast. I always have 100% success rate and mostly germinate in less than a week for me.

4 hours ago, Umbrae said:

Side view

20180603_131431.jpg

20180603_131340.jpg

very cool. is this Houston suburbs?

2 hours ago, mthteh1916 said:

very cool. is this Houston suburbs?

No, but ribbons would work like a champ there 

On 6/1/2018, 8:32:38, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

L. Chilensis will survive single digits when mature. My 15' decora died this year at 13 degrees. 6'ct chilensis in 45g pots survived 8f at the nursery.  

Livistona decora has been high on my list to try up here. Although what about Livistona nitida? I seem to gather that it is the most hardy (maybe besides L. chinensis bud-hardy wise). 

Here is a Livistona in a neighborhood near me where judging by damage on other palms (Large Phoenix moderately burned, Washingtonia 75+% burned, P. robelenii killed) it was around 19-20 deg. Virtually no damage- does anyone know which species it is? I want to say Livistona decora.

WIN_20180208_143200.thumb.JPG.69d64a84ab

• Upvote 4