IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Caryota mitis seed!

DoomsDave

On 8/15/2018, 6:34:04, Funkthulhu said:

So far it is only the big ones, no smalls even look active at this point.

That's helpful.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

3 of my Caryota Mitis seeds have started germinating, the first one just started popping out of the soil the other day. So far the only ones to germinate are the bigger seeds.

IMG_5596.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

7 months ago I had 3 seeds germinate about the same time, I lost 2 of them during winter. My one remaining seedling is doing well but seems kind of slow. I noticed today that it finally opened up its first leaf and it looks like it might be variegated? The rest of my seeds still look good so maybe I will have some more seedlings this year.

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 8:34 PM, Chris Wilson said:

7 months ago I had 3 seeds germinate about the same time, I lost 2 of them during winter. My one remaining seedling is doing well but seems kind of slow. I noticed today that it finally opened up its first leaf and it looks like it might be variegated? The rest of my seeds still look good so maybe I will have some more seedlings this year.

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

How's the Variegated Baby doing now?

They're really striking when they get bigger. I've got one I'm trying to figure out where to plant in the garden, and it's getting impressive.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great bargains ahead, free Caryota mitis seeds, I'm in.  I'm interested Dave. Here's mail address!Address.jpg

Hi dave,

my two Caryota from your seeds. They groe slowly but steadily.

Have some variegated ones from a guy in Thailand which germinated. Hope they show variegated leaves.1725980678_20190725_1940101.thumb.jpg.0fa02c1270accc3f5bbbdfc4aa301f14.jpg

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Keep the baby pictures coming!

I got five to sprout, just moved them into 1 gallon pots. They're moving right along.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Did you also send variegated seeds? Looks like one of my two babies shows some kind of variegation. 

Eckhard 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2019 at 2:07 PM, DoomsDave said:

How's the Variegated Baby doing now?

They're really striking when they get bigger. I've got one I'm trying to figure out where to plant in the garden, and it's getting impressive.

I'm still not sure if it's variegated or not, I think it may have just looked like that from lack of sunlight since I had it in the house. The first leaf got burnt from too much sunlight this spring when I took it back out. 

IMG_9984.JPG

AHA!!!  

I'm trying to move to a new house and trying to also identify everything before it goes over.  It seems I was in a hurry when some seeds were planted last year and I'm at a loss.  Some of my seedlings don't have labels, but now I see the family resemblance!  This one now has its papers in order again and will receive safe passage to the new digs...  

• Like 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."