IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How fast can fertilizer leach through soil

pj_orlando_z9b

I've always wondered how fast slow-release fertilizer can leach through soil, especially in Florida sandy soils.  I have a regular 4x/yr program where I put down palm fertilizer along with a kick of Mn and K.  In an event like this past week where my yard received 6" of rain, does that wash it all away (forecast is for more next weekend).  Is there a guideline on how quickly that can happen.  I would think some of the nutrients bind to the soil even if others get washed away.

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b

35 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I've always wondered how fast slow-release fertilizer can leach through soil, especially in Florida sandy soils.  I have a regular 4x/yr program where I put down palm fertilizer along with a kick of Mn and K.  In an event like this past week where my yard received 6" of rain, does that wash it all away (forecast is for more next weekend).  Is there a guideline on how quickly that can happen.  I would think some of the nutrients bind to the soil even if others get washed away.

We here closer to the Gulf Coast have a forecast of RAIN (no joke, this entire next week straight has no days with less than 50% rain chance). 

Fertilizer should leach through the soil like water does (as the vast majority of them contain ionic/polar molecules, which dissolve in water...), so it should leach fast if there is at least some moisture present.

Slow-release fertilizer is slow-release because only relatively 'small' (relative to the amount of total fertilizer) amounts of nutrient leave the pellet (or powder or whatever) by some process(es) (chemical, physical, etc...) that allow the nutrients to leave in the aforementioned small amounts. Remaining pieces of the pellet or grains of it may remain intact after a rainstorm (because they are physically stuck in the soil, slowly dissolving away into nutrients). It is likely that some (albeit a small amount) nutrients will bind to your soil with nearly any fertilizer, and this doesn't go away entirely after a deluge (though, yes, most of it will leave the soil, along with some of the nutients previously in your soil before you added the fertilizer).

Hopefully that didn't make slow-release fertilizer sound lesser that regular fertilers to any extent, as I would prefer slow-release fertilizers to most other kinds if given a choice.

If I am wrong about (any of) this, please correct me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

We here closer to the Gulf Coast have a forecast of RAIN (no joke, this entire next week straight has no days with less than 50% rain chance). 

Fertilizer should leach through the soil like water does (as the vast majority of them contain ionic/polar molecules, which dissolve in water...), so it should leach fast if there is at least some moisture present.

Slow-release fertilizer is slow-release because only relatively 'small' (relative to the amount of total fertilizer) amounts of nutrient leave the pellet (or powder or whatever) by some process(es) (chemical, physical, etc...) that allow the nutrients to leave in the aforementioned small amounts. Remaining pieces of the pellet or grains of it may remain intact after a rainstorm (because they are physically stuck in the soil, slowly dissolving away into nutrients). It is likely that some (albeit a small amount) nutrients will bind to your soil with nearly any fertilizer, and this doesn't go away entirely after a deluge (though, yes, most of it will leave the soil, along with some of the nutients previously in your soil before you added the fertilizer).

Hopefully that didn't make slow-release fertilizer sound lesser that regular fertilers to any extent, as I would prefer slow-release fertilizers to most other kinds if given a choice.

If I am wrong about (any of) this, please correct me.

That makes sense.  Fertilizer is like vitamin water.  Slow release would be like a vitamin tablet in some ways.  I guess the recommendation to fertilize every couple months with possibly an extra feeding in summer already factors in our climate and heavy rains.  Some palms, like my bottle palm, seem unfazed by fertilizer.  Adonidia merrillii and cocos nucifera respond well to extra feeding for me.  I'll have to read some publications as I know once too much is provided, palms can decline.  I'm always concerned I'm underfeeding.  I also need to buy a new soil test kit.  Every time I use one, I'm always on the low end of potassium.

• Upvote 1

Try adding humic acid to your soil. It will help bind the trace nutrients for later use instead of leaching away.

1 hour ago, Gonzer said:

Try adding humic acid to your soil. It will help bind the trace nutrients for later use instead of leaching away.

Yes good advice. The more organic material you have in your soil in the root zone the better. Dissolved minerals can attach to the organic matter and have the potential to get uptaken by the roots rather than getting washed away. The % of fertilizer that gets taken up compared how much is laid down is small, especially in sandy soil.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

In Florida the only way to Properly fertilize your palms is controlled release products. No matter how much rain you receive the polymer coating keeps the prill intact for the duration of the time specified on the bag. I use 3mo products.