IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicias good choice for warmer 9b locations

mike-coral gables

Slight frond burn but otherwise performed well with lows around 29F 

20F32EB0-04AD-4ABA-9D00-3BE4B6073EBB.jpeg

• Upvote 8

I would ask what Copernicia you can't grow rather than what you can...

I would say really only ekmanii and berteroana are the 'probably won't grow for me'. All other species should be fine for you.

• Upvote 1

That’s good to know , copernicias are a fav of mine . Excuse my untrained eye but what variety is the silvery blue specimen in my first pic ? It did better than the Baileyana. 

I can't make out much detail on individual palms in the first pic but the two most cold hardy Cuban Copernicia are macroglossa and hospita. I am guessing by your description that you are talking about a hospita...

Those looks great! They will really stand out in a few years if you are on the Mt. Dora boat tour!

There was a local palm collector who had a non trunking C. macroglossa survive the big 1989 freeze just north of orlando . He recorded 18F 2 nights in a row. And it barely got above freezing in the day in between. That was a brutal duration freeze. Here, all the Cuban Copernicia have grown well. The hardiest I have noticed is C. macroglossa and C. glabrescens. Suprisingly this past winter C. bertroana has hardly any burn. It is a young specimen just a couple feet tall. C. baileyana, fallaense, gigas, hospita, yarey, x sueroana and x vespertilionum have very light burn. 

I can never keep C. eckmanii alive here. I have tried 3 times and it always bud rots in summer, exactly like Brahea edulis does also.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ahhh....never tire of seeing Copes! :wub:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Interesting to hear about glabrescens being hardy to cold... Too bad it's not a looker... I have heard from Bret and Mike that hospita is very cold hardy too-surprised it burned for you, Eric.

Some more pics of mine , an ID on the slivery one would be appreciated 

C93A737C-4CA2-4633-B087-7B2F194EFCC9.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Mike-the South American Copernicia are a lot more cold hardy.

I have bailey, macroglossa, hospita, cowelii, and alba in my backyard in winter park.  This winter I got down to 30 & 28.  

The bailey only had tip burn.  The hospita and cowelii were seemingly unaffected.  They yellowed a bit but no tip burn.  They are both 4-5 year old seedlings. Alba was unaffected.  However the macroglossa burned pretty bad.  It is the largest of the bunch probably 15 years old and 6’ tall.  It defoliated to the bud.  It has recovered nicely so far pushing 2-3 slowly opening leaves.

28 killed a lot of my zone pushing palms.  Chambeyronia, satekentia, burretkentia, euterpe edulis, archo. Cunninghamiana Illawarra.

60CE9361-B0A2-48AD-90AD-4D236E2103B9.jpeg

• Upvote 1

You mentioned a lot of palms that can handle the cold you got... Sounds like frost got on your plants; frost is very damaging...