IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

JungleGina's hideaway

JungleGina

Haven't had much time on the forum lately due to my workload leaving me little time or energy for anything else, but I've been coming here for reliable non-sensationalized news about the eruption in Hawaii and saw that the file size max has increased. I'm low tech so this was an issue for me previously. So I decided it's time to try to post some pics of my jungle. It's been raining for a couple weeks so the light is filtered and the plants are super happy right now. Some plants are still showing tatters from hurricane Irma damage 8 mos. ago, then cold damage from Jan. temps in the 30s. If any eagle-eyed experts see a mislabeled plant or one I can't ID, please let me know so I can give it a tag as they tend to walk away. 

Anyway, here's one of several Chambeyronia macrocarpa. This one lost several leaves in the hurricane from large falling tree limbs.

20180520_102534.jpg

• Upvote 13

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

Another poor Chambeyronia macrocarpa (right) had its entire head lobbed off. It's trying to make a recovery. The palm behind it (I think) is a Chamaedorea tepejilote that only had minor damage.

20180520_Chamaedorea tepejilote.jpg

• Upvote 8

Aloha, JungleGina

This was grown from seed. I'd love to know what it is. It's been very slow and the leaves are big.

20180520_103055.jpg

• Upvote 9

Aloha, JungleGina

Okay I'm already getting a message about only being allowed to upload 8 MB. So I guess that means for the thread, not per post?? Well that was a short tour. Am I doing something wrong??

• Upvote 1

Aloha, JungleGina

A gal after me’ own heart with the Chambeyronias

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'll try again. This is a Licuala aurantiaca that fell over during the hurricane. I put a stack of bricks underneath for support and it now is righting itself and has a nice curve in the trunk.

20180520_Licuala aurantiaca bent.jpg

• Upvote 8

Aloha, JungleGina

Here's the top of that same Licuala so you can see its leaves.

20180520_Licuala aurantiaca.jpg

• Upvote 10

Aloha, JungleGina

I might be getting the hang of this. Licuala peltata var. sumawongii

20180520_Licuala peltata sumawongii.jpg

• Upvote 9

Aloha, JungleGina

Licuala grandis and Dypsis decaryi with a coconut peeking out from behind it to the left.

20180520_Licuala grandis.jpg

20180520_Dypsis decaryi.jpg

• Upvote 11

Aloha, JungleGina

Carpoxylon macrosperma--one of the few things I splurged on and got an instant gratification size to give it the best possible chance for survival. It's under cover of a larger tree for winter protection. We got 30 degree temps a couple of times this winter and it didn't blink.

20180520_Carpoxylon macrosperma.jpg

• Upvote 13

Aloha, JungleGina

Satakentia liukiuensis and Coccothrinax miraguama. The Satakentia got an alarming wobble after the hurricane but I shoved a brick under it for stabilization and so far so good.

20180520_Satakentia liukiuensis-Coccothrinx cupularis.jpg

• Upvote 9

Aloha, JungleGina

Attalea cohune then a coconut (no idea what kind) behind Beccariophoenix madagascariensis windows.

20180520_Attalea cohune.jpg

20180520_Beccariophoenix madagascariensis windows-coconut.jpg

• Upvote 10

Aloha, JungleGina

Coccothrinax spissa

20180520_Coccothrinax spissa.jpg

• Upvote 8

Aloha, JungleGina

Bismarkia nobilis--this palm turned purple after the 2009/2010 cold events and has fallen over and been staked twice as a youngster. It survived all that and is solid now, and recently started seeding.

20180520_Bismarkia nobilis-D. asper.jpg

• Upvote 8

Aloha, JungleGina

Syagrus botryophora, I think.

20180520_Syagrus botryophora.jpg

• Upvote 9

Aloha, JungleGina

Wallichia disticha and Ptychosperma macarthuri

20180520_Wallichia disticha-Ptychosperma macarthurii.jpg

• Upvote 8

Aloha, JungleGina

Both of these pics are mostly unknowns grown from seed I picked up, except for the first palm in the first pic is Ravenia rivularis. Any ideas on the rest?

20180520_104012.jpg

20180520_104037.jpg

• Upvote 6

Aloha, JungleGina

That's all for today, thanks for touring. I feel very accomplished getting this far!

20180520_105157.jpg

• Upvote 12

Aloha, JungleGina

1 minute ago, JungleGina said:

That's all for today, thanks for touring. I feel very accomplished getting this far!

Thank you for the pictures, @JungleGina!

I'd feel accomplished if I got that far, too. :greenthumb::)

• Upvote 1

This is the South Florida jungle variety that I like. Natural and colorful without too much direction of the man-made motif. Great Carpoxylon and Licualas. Live and let live.

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

Yes more more

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Gina, the garden is bouncing back good.  It was a tough year with the hurricane and cold.  My garden looks the worst in 18 years, so don't get discouraged.   Luckily, the rain has started early this year.  Keep on rolling!

Wonderful landscape @JungleGina!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I love the jungle look. It's what I strive for. I'm encouraged at the tropical species you grow in Sarasota, which is 1.5 hours north of me.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the wonderful photos of your lush garden. A big fan of the 'unstructured' look, but just enough to still be in control.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Is this your garden #2? Seems I remember you moved house a few years ago? Anyway, terrific jungle you have growing there! It must be fun to hang out in one of the chairs under the fronds to unwind. Beautiful, and bound to get even better.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

19 hours ago, JungleGina said:

Syagrus botryophora, I think.

20180520_Syagrus botryophora.jpg

Beautiful garden, I too love the jungle look!  This palm looks like a Syagrus schizophylla and not a botryophora.

Great work!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

21 hours ago, JungleGina said:

This was grown from seed. I'd love to know what it is. It's been very slow and the leaves are big.

20180520_103055.jpg

This one looks like a juvenile Attalea.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

15 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

Hi Gina, the garden is bouncing back good.  It was a tough year with the hurricane and cold.  My garden looks the worst in 18 years, so don't get discouraged.   Luckily, the rain has started early this year.  Keep on rolling!

Thank you @Mike Evans. Your comment made it occur to me that I should try to post what these areas looked like in the aftermath of hurricane Irma. Took the pics but never got around to posting them. I thought posts used to be numbered so you could refer back but can't find it. So this is the same area as the first pic I posted in this thread with the Chambeyronia macrocarpa and that croton as identifying features. No pathways are discernible.

352.jpg

Aloha, JungleGina

Picture 2 of the headless Chambeyronia looked like this post-hurricane. You can't see either of those palms in this pic, just the tree and side of the greenhouse for identifying features. In the foreground, there was a big 5 headed pandanus that got completely obliterated.

345.jpg

Then a slightly different angle from the left where you can see one small part of the pandanus and the size of the branch that took it out.

403.jpg

Edited by JungleGina
add another angle

Aloha, JungleGina

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎20‎:‎47‎, JungleGina said:

Licuala grandis and Dypsis decaryi with a coconut peeking out from behind it to the left.

20180520_Licuala grandis.jpg

20180520_Dypsis decaryi.jpg

Maybe this will make it easier to refer back if I just quote the previous. Down below is the post-hurricane pic. You can just make out the Dypsis decaryi in the back left and in front of that is the huge rootball of the Syagrus sancona that blew over, thankfully away from the house! It was at the very top of my canopy. In the after photo above, the fireball bromeliad is planted to strategically cover the stump of the fallen Syagrus.

451.jpg

Aloha, JungleGina

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎27‎:‎12‎, JungleGina said:

Carpoxylon macrosperma--one of the few things I splurged on and got an instant gratification size to give it the best possible chance for survival. It's under cover of a larger tree for winter protection. We got 30 degree temps a couple of times this winter and it didn't blink.

20180520_Carpoxylon macrosperma.jpg

The above view post-hurricane looks toward the house; below is the opposite of the same view looking from the house (notice the tree fern and Carpoxylon). I couldn't even get through the debris in some areas to get pics.

373.jpg

Edited by JungleGina

Aloha, JungleGina

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎58‎:‎44‎, JungleGina said:

20180520_105157.jpg

Above is now; below is the damage. What you can't see is my other big loss from the top of the canopy, Caryota maxima. (Trunk is one the ground behind the head of the statue.) Second pic below is the top of the Caryota. I get a lot more light in than I used to with two large palms gone.

366.jpg

360.jpg

Aloha, JungleGina

7 hours ago, Kim said:

Is this your garden #2? Seems I remember you moved house a few years ago? Anyway, terrific jungle you have growing there! It must be fun to hang out in one of the chairs under the fronds to unwind. Beautiful, and bound to get even better.

No @Kim I have not moved; been here since 2002. You met me in 2012 when I toured your place and Bo's place while staying at JD's cottage. I'm praying all of your gorgeous gardens are spared and still accessible when things calm down on the Big Island. I really wanted to return one day to see the result of all your hard work in person.

Aloha, JungleGina

Thank you very much for the tour - spectacular photos of beautiful plants!

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

9 hours ago, JungleGina said:

No @Kim I have not moved; been here since 2002. You met me in 2012 when I toured your place and Bo's place while staying at JD's cottage. I'm praying all of your gorgeous gardens are spared and still accessible when things calm down on the Big Island. I really wanted to return one day to see the result of all your hard work in person.

Thanks Gina, I clearly remember meeting you and spending time with you on the Big Island. I don't know why I thought you had since moved. :rolleyes: Thank you for your good wishes! We are feeling cautiously optimistic. :unsure:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 5/21/2018, 8:58:07, JungleGina said:

20180520_103055.jpg

Attalea