IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California fan palm germination

Rickybobby

I know I never use the proper species name but as a newbie I have a hard time figuring out what half of you post about. 

Anyway been on point lately with my setup 

all these Cali fan palms germinated in a week once again everything from seedman 6E3C910B-3216-44C1-B93D-2E6E18BCD01A.thu

• Upvote 1

California Fan Palm = Washingtonia filifera - that should get you started :)

Nice work on all of your germination successes so far!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

California Fan Palm = Washingtonia filifera - that should get you started :)

Nice work on all of your germination successes so far!

I know the names lol I’m for now until I graduate sticking to regular names. And thanks. I couldn’t believe it. These all sprouted within a day of each other 

Or Washingtonia robusta? The problem with common names is no one knows if they are talking about the same species. Scientific names eliminate the confusion. Follow PT and find a good palm book and you will learn them. It's worth the effort if you are seriously into palms and earns you major credibility.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I actually do know the names I’m just too lazy to type them all in and I figure by using the common names other newbies like me will understand better and maybe get more views 

When I germinated my robustas they also took a week. They grow germinate really fast even if the seeds aren’t fresh 

• 3 months later...

Here’s an update 4 months later this is my biggest guy on frond number 5. I’ve been very successful with these palms. I’m a huge fan of the southwest desert. Vegas Arizona California. Especially lake Havasu and needles so these palms are special to me since I’ve spent several months down in Vegas/havasu 

07AD20F6-FA5E-4972-934F-35E3C5B97CB4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Side note it’s so windy at my place which is rural that the leaves were getting folded bad. So most of my seedlings just stay in my climate controlled palm room which never gets warmer then 77f which is fine. No rush to grow up

3 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Here’s an update 4 months later this is my biggest guy on frond number 5. I’ve been very successful with these palms. I’m a huge fan of the southwest desert. Vegas Arizona California. Especially lake Havasu and needles so these palms are special to me since I’ve spent several months down in Vegas/havasu 

07AD20F6-FA5E-4972-934F-35E3C5B97CB4.jpeg

I think that's Washingtonia robusta or hybrid. The ones you seek like you see in the desert here tend to have green stems and they get a lot of fiber on the leaves. Then again it is grown indoors so it might look different but that red stem tells me robusta which is native to Mexico instead of California.

Edited by Chris Chance

8 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I think that's Washingtonia robusta or hybrid. The ones you seek like you see in the desert here tend to have green stems and they get a lot of fiber on the leaves. Then again it is grown indoors so it might look different but that red stem tells me robusta which is native to Mexico instead of California.

I have a bunch of them all came from same bag of seeds and yes some are more green and some red. I kinda wondered about that. I had to trust what I got. But I was never 100 percent sure. 

7 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I have a bunch of them all came from same bag of seeds and yes some are more green and some red. I kinda wondered about that. I had to trust what I got. But I was never 100 percent sure. 

From what I have read Washys hybridize so easily most that are being grown and sold are hybrids (filibusta).  Unless you can get a grower/seed seller to reveal the seed source from native habitats, it's likely a hybrid of some degree so it's not surprising to see robusta traits.  Your seedling looks great!

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Nice palm! How did you germinate them? Just throw them in some dirt? Use a heating mat? 

Pro mix hp. Which is peat moss and perlite. Damp. Throw them in. Heat mat at 90 and in just around the week the bag is full I’ve had nothing but success with these 

• Upvote 1

sorry I don't want to hijack this topic, but I germinated some washingtonias as well. They are 6 filiferas and 2 robustas both from 10 seeds from rps ( I know that is a very poor germination rate:mellow:, I used a heat mat with a timer for 12 hours and coconut fiber as substrate).

IMG_20180924_163428501.thumb.jpg.8b798d4

These two are the robustas:

IMG_20180924_163450050.thumb.jpg.26f4094

And these are two of the supposedly pure filiferas. Are they 100% filifera?:

5ba508f6919bb_IMG_20180924_163456811_HDR

• Upvote 1

My heat mats have thermostats and are always on not just 12 hours and awesome seedlings! I’m wondering the. Bottom one filabusta?

I think filibusta as well, though I thought rps would be collecting the seeds only from native habitats:huh:. I wanted to recreate their natural environment with hot days and comparatively cool nights, so I used a timer. I also germinated 6 out of 10 queens the same time and later on 12 Phoenix Dactylifera 'Mazafati with the same method. Except for the date palms they are all outside since mid april (they had their second leaf growing), experencing temps in the low 40s and at least 3 days in a row with 120+ F ( measured 20 cm away from the south west facing wall in full shade).

Edited by LivistonaFan

Rickybobby,

Here's a video of a Washingtonia palm near you, close to Georgetown, Ont.  He's germinated a bunch of seed too which has some videos dedicated to his method.

Edited by Chester B

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

Rickybobby,

Here's a video of a Washingtonia palm near you, close to Georgetown, Ont.  He's germinated a bunch of seed too which has some videos dedicated to his method.

Lol thanks. He sure loves his fronds eh ?

On 9/21/2018, 6:22:19, Rickybobby said:

Pro mix hp. Which is peat moss and perlite. Damp. Throw them in. Heat mat at 90 and in just around the week the bag is full I’ve had nothing but success with these 

Does your heat mat have a timer? I have not had much success other than a few germinated seeds (of all sorts of species) with my heat mat. Not sure if I am doing it wrong or not. 

PalmTreeDude

Washingtonia are great palms for beginners, easy to germinate and fast growing. You can use a heat mat if they are in a container. If you use the baggie method (damp orchid moss is a good medium that lets you see the seeds' progress), place it in/on a warm place such as a computer box, water heater or even on top of fridge in the kitchen where daily cooking activities produce rising warm air.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Does your heat mat have a timer? I have not had much success other than a few germinated seeds (of all sorts of species) with my heat mat. Not sure if I am doing it wrong or not. 

No timers. Set the temperature and it stays there forever 

2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

No timers. Set the temperature and it stays there forever 

Alright, thank you. I must be keeping me seeds too close to the mat or something. I need to try it again. 

PalmTreeDude

On 9/21/2018, 9:13:21, LivistonaFan said:

sorry I don't want to hijack this topic, but I germinated some washingtonias as well. They are 6 filiferas and 2 robustas both from 10 seeds from rps ( I know that is a very poor germination rate:mellow:, I used a heat mat with a timer for 12 hours and coconut fiber as substrate).

IMG_20180924_163428501.thumb.jpg.8b798d4

These two are the robustas:

IMG_20180924_163450050.thumb.jpg.26f4094

And these are two of the supposedly pure filiferas. Are they 100% filifera?:

5ba508f6919bb_IMG_20180924_163456811_HDR

The one in the front definitely looks like a filifera, the back one not some much. 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 2 weeks later...

I tried growing both filifera and robusta this past summer. Total failure. I've had better luck with sabals than these palms, but I'll try again with them when I move my seedlings in for the winter. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

10 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

I tried growing both filifera and robusta this past summer. Total failure. I've had better luck with sabals than these palms, but I'll try again with them when I move my seedlings in for the winter. 

I found these and dates to be extremely easy soaked in water a day thrown In a baggy with pro mix some water and heat and a week later the bag is full!

18 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

I found these and dates to be extremely easy soaked in water a day thrown In a baggy with pro mix some water and heat and a week later the bag is full!

The germination part was easy. I had them outside and the seedlings just hated the rainy summer we had. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC