IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My lovely dog is dead :(

Ilovepalm

The day before yesterday, in just 6 hours, my healthy dog got paralyzed 4 legs, he could not eat and drink, pee, the disease went down within an hour. We took him to the clinic at once, but there he quickly lost consciousness and had a very large brain swelling and died. A stroke was found. We were so notified. We can not be reconciled with the fact that yesterday he was still about that, and he is gone. Empty seat, no stroking his soft hair and mounth. I am shocked and distraught by myself and my family. :(:(:( He was crossbreed border collie and Scottish sheep-dog.

FB_IMG_1526207690356.jpg

FB_IMG_1526216398587.jpg

FB_IMG_1526232017763.jpg

Edited by Ilovepalm
  • Upvote 1

I am very sorry to learn of your sudden loss.  That must be more difficult than a gradual passing of an elderly dog.  When you feel ready I would encourage you to get another dog.  Each one is special in their own way, and dogs give much more than they cost !  :)

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

@Darold Petty I know, but my family and I can not pick up, we cry all the time, we are shocked that in 6 hours the dog died and the day before he ran healthy. we are in despair! :(

So very sorry for your loss. They are important part of our families. Comforting hugs for you and your family.

Patricia

I lost both my naughty boys within a year of each other and though it's been quite a few months since it all happened, I still get distressed at times. They always have a place in your heart. They went fairly quickly and didn't go through a prolonged period of illness, for which I am very grateful. It will hurt less in time but you never forget them. When you are ready you will find another furry baby  who needs your love too.

• Upvote 3

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I am so very sorry!

For many of us our four legged family members quickly become best friends.

Certainly not a common combination of symptoms in my experience as a veterinarian since 1983. 

My heart reaches out to you across the miles.

Cindy Adair

thank you very much for the words of support and encouragement. Although you it is far away, it is close!!

My condolences to you and your family as well..

Being a dedicated dad to one crazy fur baby myself, it breaks my heart anytime i hear of the loss of someone else's four-legged companion and best friend. There simply isn't anything else that comes close to the kind of bond than can exist. 

-Nathan

• Upvote 1

I am sorry.

They are our best friends and for me, my dogs are like my sons. 

I understand you, is a hard moment but now you must smile renembering your best moments with you dog.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear this. They are part of the family and it hurts a lot when they leave, especially that quickly. We lost 2 of our Chihuahua's a few months ago.  One quickly became paralyzed in his back legs and had other issues so we had to put him to sleep.  Then our female Chihuahua had heart issues and was on medication for a few years but the medication stopped working and her heart was failing so we had to put her to sleep.  Was a tough year.  But now we have a new puppy, a Puggle in which we are enjoying very much.

God bless, 

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I remember his feet, fur, mounth and now there is such silence in the house, empty place, there is nobody to collect a crumb from the ground... we feel terrible :(

@Ilovepalmso sad to hear!

I second @peachyand @Darold Petty‘s advice to find another doggie to love as soon as you feel able.

So very many need it so badly.

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enought, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Unknown author but true words. Don’t wait too long. 

• Upvote 7

My dog Stretch passed unexpectedly April 26, 2017. It still causes me pain to think of him. Woke up and he was lying next to me stiff.

A loyal soul like his I doubt I will ever encounter again. He was there for me while I battled alcoholism. He got to enjoy 6 years of me being sober.

Still miss him every day.:crying:

• Upvote 3

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I am really sorry for your loss,

even though i never had a dog, I experienced the last moments of four small furry companions of mine.

As the time passes, the grief goes away and every time I think about them I smile and remember the great moments we had.

Take care.

• Upvote 1

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

All my condolences and best wishes to you and your family. We lost dogs and cats to sickness and it was crushing. We were always grief-stricken but we realized we had always taken good care of them and now they were at peace.  Just know that you and the vets did all you could for your dog. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hugs. What a good friend he must have been. Sorry to hear it.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Yes, he was a very loyal doggie. We adopted him two years ago, he did not have a good life before and this is the saddest thing. We did everything to help him, I asked Facebook for help in the veterinary clinic, because it was free Sunday. We went with him right away. It was hard for us to stand on the floor of the limp in the blanket, because it weighed over 30 kg. He lay like an unarmed body. He was lay and the poor one was breathing heavily :crying::crying:

Edited by Ilovepalm

I have lost a couple of monmths ago my beloved dog and I know the feeling, but after the third or fourth loss of a pet, you learn to live with the inevitable.

15 hours ago, Grasswing said:

I am really sorry for your loss,

even though i never had a dog, I experienced the last moments of four small furry companions of mine.

As the time passes, the grief goes away and every time I think about them I smile and remember the great moments we had.

Take care.

This is also how I have learned to come through the loss.

@Laaz Thank you for the link, but it was not poisoning, although we also took this opportunity. This was excluded after blood tests and ultrasound.

@Phoenikakias This is my first death of a dog and it is hard for me...

Edited by Ilovepalm
  • Upvote 1

@Moose, thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you could use another lovable doggie, too.

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry for the loss.....it's never easy.

Hang in there. 

My wife and I are dog people, no kids. Over the years, whenever we loose one of our dogs, we plant a palm.

• Upvote 2

@Palm Tree Jim You inspired me with an idea - maybe I will plant some plant on behalf of my deceased doggie? What will stay in nature - it will never perish.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about your beloved dog passing so suddenly. It's always hard when the one you love passes.  They ask nothing in return but to be loved.  Remember the good times you had together!  :wub:

I am so sorry for your loss. What a handsome dog he was! We do not think of possible loss when we adopt a pet, we only think how much we love them; but it is inevitable that they will go before we do, and it is always so hard. Hold on to your happy memories.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Moose, thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you could use another lovable doggie, too.

Stretch was a rescue dog and he sure knew it. Had terrible separation anxiety. The solution was to get another rescue dog, Missy Ann. She is still with us. Some how during one of our walks she gobbled up something next to a garbage can on a pick up day. Ending up having rat poison in it. She stopped breathing on the way to the animal hospital and a second time when we got there. I kept talking to her the whole time. The vet said it was her will to stay was what pulled her through. Since her recovery we have a very special bond.

For me dogs are like family members. The family is a pack to them, they want to belong. It is so difficult when you lose one, especially when it happens suddenly .

• Upvote 3

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

48 minutes ago, Moose said:

Stretch was a rescue dog and he sure knew it. Had terrible separation anxiety. The solution was to get another rescue dog, Missy Ann. She is still with us. Some how during one of our walks she gobbled up something next to a garbage can on a pick up day. Ending up having rat poison in it. She stopped breathing on the way to the animal hospital and a second time when we got there. I kept talking to her the whole time. The vet said it was her will to stay was what pulled her through. Since her recovery we have a very special bond.

For me dogs are like family members. The family is a pack to them, they want to belong. It is so difficult when you lose one, especially when it happens suddenly .

:crying:

15 hours ago, Kim said:

I am so sorry for your loss. What a handsome dog he was! We do not think of possible loss when we adopt a pet, we only think how much we love them; but it is inevitable that they will go before we do, and it is always so hard. Hold on to your happy memories.

Yeah, thats the key for the emotional recovery: thinking rationally. Plato not Prosac!

• Upvote 1

I am very grateful to you for so many warm words, understanding, consolation and the moving of history. I have terrible depression now. I still have canaries and a parrot I will find. I love them very much. They are for me, like my children. We have also the second lovely doggie golden retriever. She has 8 years old.GnZEWQF.jpg

KlNpooo.jpg

Qnuta6U.jpg

faVHa7p.jpg

Edited by Ilovepalm
  • Upvote 3

What a beautiful bunch! Animals ARE family. Especially our canine buddies. I have 5 pawed children. They are our life! 

How are you doing these days @Ilovepalm? Is your heart mended a bit?

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

@Missi I try to live somehow, but there are moments, just like today, that I think about our doggie and I miss. :crying: I love all my pets very much. Tomorrow is 2 years, as I found a my parrot.

Edited by Ilovepalm