IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Virginia Washingtonia robusta Fighting For Life

PalmTreeDude

After a terrible winter, my Washingtonia robusta got beat up badly. Then at the very beginning of Spring, the spears pulled and I thought all hope was lost. But I checked it a few days ago and to my surprise I found this little bit of green. Today I inspected it more and found a new "stalk" coming up. It does not look that much like a spear, but at the top a little green frond shows. So I looked deeper with a flashlight and saw more life deeper down, but also bugs! I put some hydrogen peroxide down it (I have not done this for two weeks until now) and am hoping to kill off any pathogens that may harm it's new growth. Now, I will just have to wait and see what happens. It may end up just dying, or it may come back. In the pictures the green does not show well, but it is there and in person there is more than you can see in the pictures. 

20180514_181940.jpg

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

After a terrible winter, my Washingtonia robusta got beat up badly. Then at the very beginning of Spring, the spears pulled and I thought all hope was lost. But I checked it a few days ago and to my surprise I found this little bit of green. Today I inspected it more and found a new "stalk" coming up. It does not look that much like a spear, but at the top a little green frond shows. So I looked deeper with a flashlight and saw more life deeper down, but also bugs! I put some hydrogen peroxide down it (I have not done this for two weeks until now) and am hoping to kill off any pathogens that may harm it's new growth. Now, I will just have to wait and see what happens. It may end up just dying, or it may come back. In the pictures the green does not show well, but it is there and in person there is more than you can see in the pictures. 

I can see it (I clipped the pictures out of your postings)!

I'm surprised (in a good way :))!

4 hours ago, Laaz said:

Cut is back until you see live tissue (if there is any).

Listen to Todd :greenthumb:, he has earned the trust of this naysayer. B)

Has avoided the Doom :violin:but still there is :sick: gloom.

Modify the cup of death and carnage, :badday:rainy season is soon

Fungus will take it out in it's weakened state of potential Doom.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

18 hours ago, Moose said:

Has avoided the Doom :violin:but still there is :sick: gloom.

Modify the cup of death and carnage, :badday:rainy season is soon

Fungus will take it out in it's weakened state of potential Doom.

Let's hope not. :unsure:

I wish for recovery of your Washingtonia @PalmTreeDude, though it is May (already nearly halfway through the year, next winter... not good) and your palm is only showing this tiny amount of green.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2018, 7:01:38, Laaz said:

Cut is back until you see live tissue (if there is any).

How far do I cut it? The bottom of the hole? 

PalmTreeDude

How else are you going to keep the water from collecting in the bottom of the hole? If you are handy and careful you could drill holes through the old leaf bases as long as you don't drill into the live tissue. Usually it would be easier to replace rather than recover a palm in such a condition. Especially one that would not be so difficult to acquire. Unless tis palm has some sentimental reason.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Moose said:

How else are you going to keep the water from collecting in the bottom of the hole? If you are handy and careful you could drill holes through the old leaf bases as long as you don't drill into the live tissue. Usually it would be easier to replace rather than recover a palm in such a condition. Especially one that would not be so difficult to acquire. Unless tis palm has some sentimental reason.

I'm trying to save it just so I can say I kept a Washingtonian alive in Virginia, for one winter at least. But right now it is not looking good. The thing is it is in a spot where it is not in the way of anything so I can "experiment" with it. 

PalmTreeDude

I'm trying to save it just so I can say I kept a Washingtonian alive in Virginia, for one winter at least. But right now it is not looking good. The thing is it is in a spot where it is not in the way of anything so I can "experiment" with it. 

With an experiment one must keep records and notes. That is how we learn.

Don't forget the Conclusion: Doom :violin:

On 5/20/2018, 12:51:26, Moose said:

With an experiment one must keep records and notes. That is how we learn.

Don't forget the Conclusion: Doom :violin:

Yeah let's just say there will no longer be anymore pictures of this specific palm posted... 

PalmTreeDude

3 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Yeah let's just say there will no longer be anymore pictures of this specific palm posted... 

Requiescat in pace.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

So I am guessing that the experiment failed or the palm died or something?

That question kind of answered itself...

50 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Requiescat in pace.

Yep. Suspicions affirmed...

~{{RIP}}~

@PalmTreeDude's Washingtonia Experiment

Germinated: Whatever date, probably quite recently.

Died: May 2018.

It lived a short but beautiful yet frozen and zone-pushed life.

It probably wasn't going to make it anyway.

Sorry about the loss.

Yeah it is dead. I did not protected with the best method either, I know for a fact that I can grow one here with a better method, someone grew one with a large trunk in Maryland with protection before it died one winter when it became to fall to protect. Mine started showing signs of life and then it rained and it rotted out. 

PalmTreeDude