Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Big Green Encephalartos, but what species?

7 posts in this topic

Any input on which of the big green Encephalartos this one is?

20180504-104A9217.jpg

Manikensis?

E. transvenosus.

Yep, transvensosus 

On 5/13/2018, 8:46:14, GeneAZ said:

E. transvenosus.

8 hours ago, Palmzilla said:

Yep, transvensosus 

Danke.  They really do change a lot from when they are smaller like this one in my Carlsbad garden.  It will be a tight fit in that planter someday!

20170903-104A7453.jpg

CBDC17E0-72A7-433F-AD5D-D8CD98107A5B.jpeg

On 5/16/2018, 9:33:03, Palmzilla said:

CBDC17E0-72A7-433F-AD5D-D8CD98107A5B.jpeg

Did you transplant this from your old garden and if so, how old is it now?  Mine in Carlsbad was planted around 2009 if I recall correctly, and was about a 3" caudex.  It stalled for the first couple of years after I put it in the ground, but began flushing normally thereafter.  The original photo post is in my cousin's garden.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Current Favorite Cycad?
      By Tracy
      Similar to "favorite" palms, it is always changing which is my "favorite" cycad.  Over the weekend, I would have picked this hybrid, big green ancient and twisted looking Encephalartos horridus x woodii.  While my favorite will likely be different with a new flush, a cone, or maybe just different lighting, this gets the award today.  My son, my dog, and his ward (the black lab pup) all give this perspective on how long the leaves are given it's partial horridus parentage, but then again, the woodii is coming through.  The mother was a Steytlerville E horridus, which may explain part of the look.  I just love those vicious looking leaflets too!
      So what is your current favorite?  Perhaps a colorful flushing Zamia or Ceratozamia, a fuzzy flushing Dioon, or a fork leafed Cycas species?  Enough suggestions, post your own favorite.

• Cycad ID - Is this an Encephalartos?
      By PalmatierMeg
      I just repotted the pictured blue-green cycad and couldn't find any nametag. I think it came from a palm friend in CA. It looks like an Encephalartos to me but I'm no expert. Could someone please give me its correct name?
      I also have a general question about Encephalartos: Are most of them growable in FL's hot, humid, rainy summers or do the require more arid climates? Do blue Encephalartos lose their blueness in humid climates?
      Thanks for helping out. Photos below
      Cycad for ID

• Encephalartos arenarius x woodii 7 years later
      By Tracy
      I was looking at the new flushes on my Encephalartos arenarius x woodii as they near there full size and realizing how much this cycad has grown since I planted it.  I searched for photos of when I got the plant as a 15 gallon and found the one below pictured still in the pot.  The photo was February 2011 and I planted it within weeks of the photo being taken.  7 years later one of the pups would dwarf the caudex of the original 15 gallon plant.  The third pup is now flushing 5 leaves, while the larger pup has pushed somewhere in the high teens of new leaves.  I'm optimistic that I'll actually live to see this be a large cycad at this rate.  Chalk one up for hybrid vigor !

• Proliferation of Cycad pups
      By Tracy
      I know to expect plenty of pups on larger cycads, but some seem to produce a proliferation even as small seedlings.  I was aware that Encephalartos nubimontanus is notorious for this, but was a bit surprised by my Encephalartos inopinus which is about baseball size on the largest caudex.  First the nubi.  Not so noticeable initially, but at ground level you can see the other perspective.  The main caudex only flushed 3 leaves last time, and is still so small its only pushing out 5 this time.  Despite that it appears there are 4 pups coming off it.

• Encephalartos id species
      By Tracy
      Medium size green, leaflets diminishing to leave a slightly naked rachis base, and cones.  Leaflets holding some marginal teeth.  Any id on this Encephalartos species?