Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Big Green Encephalartos, but what species?

7 posts in this topic

Any input on which of the big green Encephalartos this one is?

20180504-104A9217.jpg

Manikensis?

E. transvenosus.

Yep, transvensosus 

On 5/13/2018, 8:46:14, GeneAZ said:

E. transvenosus.

8 hours ago, Palmzilla said:

Yep, transvensosus 

Danke.  They really do change a lot from when they are smaller like this one in my Carlsbad garden.  It will be a tight fit in that planter someday!

20170903-104A7453.jpg

CBDC17E0-72A7-433F-AD5D-D8CD98107A5B.jpeg

On 5/16/2018, 9:33:03, Palmzilla said:

CBDC17E0-72A7-433F-AD5D-D8CD98107A5B.jpeg

Did you transplant this from your old garden and if so, how old is it now?  Mine in Carlsbad was planted around 2009 if I recall correctly, and was about a 3" caudex.  It stalled for the first couple of years after I put it in the ground, but began flushing normally thereafter.  The original photo post is in my cousin's garden.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Encephalartos id species
      By Tracy
      Medium size green, leaflets diminishing to leave a slightly naked rachis base, and cones.  Leaflets holding some marginal teeth.  Any id on this Encephalartos species?

• Variegated 9 - 10 inch Caudex Encephalartos manikensis
      By Cycadosia
      Here is a 10 inch E. manikensis caudex.  It has displayed stable variegation ever since I've had it (for about 6 years). The leaves look split in half, with half the leaf darker than the other half, with variegated striations in the darker part of the leaf.  Asking price is $3000. Asking price $3000.  PM me in private if you're interested.  Thank you!  

• Need an Encephalartos ID please.
      By Mandrew968
      I am taking a class in Horticulture and during the class we visited a farm in Homestead. I saw this Cycad that looked a bit neglected. I asked the owner about it and he knew it was an Encephalartos but not the species. He told me he thought it was a male and that it came from Fairchild during the 60's. The trunk is about 3 feet tall and almost that wide. No pups I could see... Thanks in advance!

• Large Encephalartos Gratus 12" - 14" caudex
      By Okie
      I have about 25 Encef. Gratus that are currently being field grown. 
      They have caudexes in the range of 12" to 14", coning male and female. Seed producing for several years.
      Located in Merritt Island, Florida.  Would like to sell all of them.  They would need to be dug as well.  You can dig or I can.  It cost me $66.00 to rent a dyna-digger.
      Make offer.

• What's with these two DIFFERENT lehmannii?
      By Mandrew968
      Ok so the first cycad has spikes on the leaflets, almost like horridus or trispinosus...