IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Little Roystonea Regia in pot

spikemc

A few years ago, I germinated seeds of Roystonea Regia that currently measure about 1 meter tall. I have them in a semi-shade place (2 hours of direct sun). This is one of them.

5af2ab2ff33e6_WhatsAppImage2018-05-09at0

As we all know, these are plants for full sun, but when they were little I wanted to protect them from the direct sun until they will become stronger.

I'm in 9b area (Valencia-Spain), so my idea is to grow in a pot (to move and protect in hot areas during winter) until they start to make trunk and then pass them to the ground as they will be stronger to resist the winters here (rarely below 28ºF ).

My question is: With this size it would be convenient to start giving them more sun (now they have 2 hours of direct sun) ?. I have several areas in the garden where I can take the pots from the current 2 hours of sun, up to 4 hours, 6 hours or sun all day.

I am afraid that they are too small even for the full sun and they burn, but on the other hand I do not know if with this size they start to need more sun.

Maybe I have to wait for the pinnate leaves for more hours of sunshine?

Edited by spikemc
  • Upvote 2

If they have been in mostly shade you need to increase sun exposure gradually, say an extra hour in the morning every week. Here in FL I grow my royal seedlings in full sun right from the start but I also have very high humidity most of the time. If you have low humidity you risk more sun damage from dehydration, esp. in the afternoon. The one in your photo looks like it could be bumped up a pot size. I've lost palm seedlings in small pots when I forgot to monitor them and they dried out.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks PalmatierMeg

I'll put one with a little more sun to see how it works, and if it goes well, I'll put more.
About the pot, I have transplanted the roystonea of the first picture this to test and the roots were less than half the pot that was previously seen, so they still have space.

5af4143fa17fa_WhatsAppImage2018-05-10at0

They can take full sun at any age (once acclimated). They need more water if in full sun and will grow very fast, too fast to be contained long-term, if warm and wet.