IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Opuntia subulata problems

LivistonaFan

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

My Opuntia subulata which I bought in October last year didn't fare well and now its "leaves" turned yellow. It overwintered in the house at about 70 Fahrenheit in front of an southfacing window and now, since it's pretty warm here (for german standards) the Opuntia gets full sun outdoors from 2 pm till sunset. 

First picture shows it in October between a Neobuxbaumia polylopha and a Ceiba pentandra:20171027_162515.thumb.jpg.783b3e2f50d60b

second one depicts how it looks now:

5aef1bd80c4c4_DSC_0095(1).thumb.JPG.8da9

Are th

sorry, last sentence should have been:

Are there any experts with cultivation tips?

1 minute ago, LivistonaFan said:

sorry, last sentence should have been:

Are there any experts with cultivation tips?

Welcome to the forum LivistonaFan.

Looks like your Opuntia has stretched itself out a bit ( reaching for more sun) If it is warm enough there atm, you might consider placing it in a spot outdoors that gets a little morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. This may also be part of the reason the leaves appear to be thinning out. I've had various cacti i had kept under my Patio do the same thing until they were placed in a spot that got better overall lighting. These guys can also start stretching out like this if they get too much water.  

Have seen other Cylindropuntia species that produce both leaves and spines shed the leaves as the stems age.  Hope this helps

-Nathan

thank you Silas Sancona,

I'll try to move it to another (more suitable) place like you described and then we'll see if the plant's appearance improves. Another question: How often should I change the soil and is there a cheaper soil than cactus substrate, since they are only for a transitional period in pots (e.g. sand/dirt-mix or sth similar)?

Just now, LivistonaFan said:

thank you Silas Sancona,

I'll try to move it to another (more suitable) place like you described and then we'll see if the plant's appearance improves. Another question: How often should I change the soil and is there a cheaper soil than cactus substrate, since they are only for a transitional period in pots (e.g. sand/dirt-mix or sth similar)?

I myself make my own soil mixes, especially for things like cacti using stuff like Pumice, ground Coco coir, some sand, and Calcined Clay ( Thinking it is sold there in Germany / Europe as Seramis. Sold as a product called "Turface" here in the US) and avoid using things like Perlite, Peat or Organics that can hold water for too long.

You want the soil mix to be open enough to let air circulate through it to encourage good root development, and dense enough to retain some moisture between watering, but drain well.. At the same time, if it is too dense ( ie: too much organics, clay content, etc..) you can invite root rot, especially in cooler places. Believe it or not, most of my collection gets water once a month in the winter, maybe twice a month in Summer. 

As far as how long you can keep it in the same pot?.. most things in my collection average 2-3 years in their containers.  When i re-pot, its only when something has clearly grown too big for the pot it is in.  That has been my own experiences though. I'm sure other members here can share their own experiences / further insight.

-Nathan

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

@Silas_Sancona

now it is still outdoors, but has not grown a lot: only 6 cm:huh:. That can't be its normal growth rate, because then they would sell it at much higher prices? However, at least not a single 'leaf' turned yellow since I changed it's location and soil. I might try to plant it out next year together with the Neobuxbaumia.
DSC_0768.thumb.JPG.1f3db9120e9fff979b64b

Edited by LivistonaFan