IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Ever wonder what happened to that old open lava tube that was on Jason Twillman's property which diverted the lava flow that was encroaching on his property...he posted this yesterday. A number of captioned photos and a video: ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215457152975206&set=pcb.10215457160935405&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

5b88daba6305d_jasonslavatube-1.jpg.b7d59

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Scott's video tour of the lava channel from today, 8/30.

• Upvote 1

And a Live Streamed video of F8 from Gabe's secret spot from 2 hours ago.

• Upvote 1

It sure doesn't feel like almost a month ago since it "stopped." 

What does all the steam in the last picture indicate? Just "breathing" as opposed to something building up?  

The black sand at Pohoiki has really expanded since my visit. 

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

2 hours ago, santoury said:

It sure doesn't feel like almost a month ago since it "stopped." 

What does all the steam in the last picture indicate? Just "breathing" as opposed to something building up?  

From everything I've heard from sources like the HUB talks, pretty much yes. The lava flows (at some points maybe 50 feet or so thick and deposited in layers with voids--recall that the 'a'a is very chunky) will remain very insulated and hot for decades. Not unlike the lava tubes that were in the Leilani LERZ area that held the still hot but more viscous magma underground that came out from the 2018 fissures initially. That magma, different from the younger magma that came uprift from Pu'uO'o and Halema'uma'u (chemical analysis), dated back to the 1955 eruptions. So lots of heat retained along with voids that can filter the recent Hurrican Lane and daily rainfall downward to reach hotter areas of the lava flow are causing the steam. USGS has been testing the air quality down near the fissures and said gas readings are very low at this point. Occasionally like in Gabe's video there will be SO2 in a detectable amount but nothing compared to what was coming out prior to the beginning of August.

USGS has not been detecting any changes to deformation of the land or seen any increase in earthquakes that would signal movement and a build up of magma below ground and repressurization in the tubes. So no apparent build up indicated. There has been occasional seismograph movement, nothing significant, and they attribute that to gassing in the tubes from the magma that's in there. 

• Upvote 1

A few days ago I mentioned that Nautilus was going to be exploring the Lo'ihi Seamount off the southern flank of the Big Island after moving off from the lava entry zone near Pohoiki to Kapoho. Lo'ihi is the next new volcano developing in that area. I located a short YouTube video describing what the Nautilus team and NASA Ames Research hoped to accomplish during the recent missiion. Still looking for any saved video footage of what was viewed during that time however. Please post if you come up with something. 

Here's a presentation a few weeks before the Lo'ihi mapping on mapping seamounts in general.

• Upvote 1

What an incredible photo given what I've seen from lavacam over the past.

5b899907e276c_f8-1(26).thumb.jpg.0d71220

• Upvote 2

Beautiful.

Here's video footage from Gabe live at Fissure 10 from this morning around 6:30am HST. Steaming and still hot although he thinks its cooled in temp a bit.

• Upvote 1

Apparently Mayor Kim has changed some of the Rules for lava affected Puna as of Today, 8/31.

5b89da3d93657_kim-1.jpg.8bd1624b4d50783f

Here's Ryan Finlay's take on the news: ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156013406015749&set=pcb.1081786328653851&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

5b89db7485396_kim-1(3).thumb.jpg.205da3a

5b89db0415563_kim-1(2).thumb.jpg.5ca2028

Sounds like still no relief around getting placards for your guests and workmen within Leilani. Feel for you guys. Doesn't sound like much for you has changed. Gabe made his comments on video before the Mayor's policy change. I have to wonder if these are as relaxed as they are going to get for a while. Think Gabe and others inside LE were hoping the Leilani checkpoint and placards are going to be gone by early September. With this coming now I have to wonder. Mayor's office probably did these in advance of the Labor Day weekend but is this it for a while?

• Upvote 1

Philip posted this video talk with John after Volcano Art Center's G. Brad Lewis photo presentation last night. 

• Upvote 1

I believe in Gabe's video of "Live at Fissure 10" posted a few posts here ago, he made reference to when he was a little kid his dad received some settlement from the geothermal back then. Didn't really know what he was talking about. While on YouTube tonight watching his lastest video of the checkpoint news, I noticed other videos on YouTube listed down the side and saw this one that got me curious so decided to check it out. This had to have been what he was referring to in Pohoiki, the HGPA Experimental Well. Kind of fascinating look back. "Special: A geothermal timeline - Puna fights development" Big Island Video News, published August 16, 2013, 29 minutes. In looking at the topo maps when the eruption happened in LE, I did notice that there were several geothermal wells down in the Lanipuna Gardens area near the end of Malama St and Leilani Ave. and also two south of Malama past Fissure 10, etc. all outside of LE. At one point I thought I read power companies had been interested in acquiring land in LE for geothermal. Keeping all this in the back of my mind as time goes on and seeing what happens to this whole eruption area of LERZ. With the loss of tourism from HVNP and other businesses in the area and State, loss of agricultural areas, loss of real estate generating properties, mounting costs of disaster relief and government-related eruption activities such as CD etc, where will the State look to lessen the burden of all of this is what I keep coming back to. Anyway thought others not familiar with this might be interested in the history and this video.

• Upvote 1

Jeremiah Osuna, Gabe's friend who you might remember if you saw his video of the day at the waterfall, decided to post some videos from early on during the eruption to his new Youtube Channel. Hoping to get 1K subscribers. His YT channel is "Strangehawaii". Link thru to YouTube and watch it there and give him a like and subscribe if you want to help him out.

This video is from very early on and recorded by drone, which as you guys know were shut down pretty quickly. Some of the fresh fissure areas hadn't even had a chance to form cones yet. Only 3 months ago more or less. Still so hard to believe.

Drone footage of Fissure 22 down by the Civil Beat House back on 5/21.

He has a Playlist of the Leilani eruption with 8 videos to check out.

• Upvote 1

OK if this isn't cool lava formation I don't know what is. Really would love to hear a volcanologist's explanation for the veining on it. Looks like it hatched from below and forced it's way through the lava field. Video from Jason Twillman.  ( https://www.facebook.com/jtwillman/videos/10215476835907267/ )

• Upvote 2

Jason has also been posting some very cool lava trees. Just posting the links to them but check them out. 40 photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215478728594583&set=pcb.10215478774035719&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

another 26:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215478961080395&set=pcb.10215478978280825&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

• Upvote 1

Do you guys remember the comments a little while ago about a glow from F8 off and on. I said I thought it was from some LED lighting on the equipment there and reflecting off of the sheeting that protects the cameras from the elements. Well I was wrong. Just saw this post made by Harry Durgin on Friday, Aug 31 on fb Hawaiii Tracker. Since we can see a beautiful starry night there must have been taken with another camera. 

5b8b4e903f918_F8glow-1.jpg.b840f62c381a9

Here's a link to the video:  ( https://www.facebook.com/harry.durgin.1/videos/10156545642824242/ )

And Scott Wilson (Blue Skies Aviation) just posted this minutes ago from an overflight he did. Not pau yet.

5b8b4fe03e0a4_F8glow-1(1).jpg.a3cb11a6fb

For larger photos: ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1969307886454800&set=pcb.1082480101917807&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

• Upvote 1

Philip posted this video at Volcano Art Center's G. Brad Lewis Photography Presentation. Too bad we couldn't be there to see in person. Runs about an hour. Not seeing it posted yet to his YT channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/lavapip )

https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/10216062724222923/ )

• Upvote 1

I assume Melvin Vargas is a LE resident and captured this stunning photo recently on Friday, 8/31. He's shared a few other photos on fb Hawaii Tracker and has a nice eye for composition. I really do like this photo alot.

5b8b543bf1352_F8-1(27).thumb.jpg.a0c4348

• Upvote 1

Nautilus is at Lo'ihi seamount, Live. Scrubbed back and saw some of the footage that had already been taken.

Here's a screen grab from scrubbed back in the feed as they prepare to take a sample in case you log in too late to see. Other grabs from around the seamount surface.

5b8b58b7c9e9b_loihi-1.thumb.jpg.391433aa

5b8b5b3994978_loihi-1(1).thumb.jpg.8fc8c

5b8b5d05134cc_loihi-1(2).thumb.jpg.9bfe2

5b8b5eb96c667_loihi-1(3).thumb.jpg.d65fd

5b8b5f44b4722_loihi-1(4).thumb.jpg.4e8c2

Taking Lo'ihi's temp before finishing the mission for the day. Had hoped to see some time at the high temp vents but either already showed or that's another dive. 

5b8b61042f7e7_loihi-1(5).thumb.jpg.1b80a

5b8b6246d050e_loihi-1(6).jpg.1da9ff33a82 where it's been.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastGal said:

Nautilus is at Lo'ihi seamount, Live. Scrubbed back and saw some of the footage that had already been taken.

Here's a screen grab from scrubbed back in the feed as they prepare to take a sample in case you log in too late to see. Other grabs from around the seamount surface.

5b8b58b7c9e9b_loihi-1.thumb.jpg.391433aa

5b8b5b3994978_loihi-1(1).thumb.jpg.8fc8c

5b8b5d05134cc_loihi-1(2).thumb.jpg.9bfe2

5b8b5eb96c667_loihi-1(3).thumb.jpg.d65fd

5b8b5f44b4722_loihi-1(4).thumb.jpg.4e8c2

Taking Lo'ihi's temp before finishing the mission for the day (only 81.5F). Had hoped to see some time at the high temp vents but either already showed or that's another dive. 

5b8b61042f7e7_loihi-1(5).thumb.jpg.1b80a

5b8b6246d050e_loihi-1(6).jpg.1da9ff33a82 where it's been.

• Upvote 1

Did find that Nautilus posted video of Surveying Pele's Pit Crater on Lo'ihi Seamount from almost 2 days ago. 10 minute video.

• Upvote 1

Sorry about the double post of the Nautilus lo'ihi mission today. Didn't catch it until past the hour. 

----

OMG it is back!

5b8b76444a82b_f8omgitsback-1.thumb.jpg.0

7:24pm HST; 10:24pm PDT. That looks pretty bright to me.

and then a few minutes later, this. Pele playing hide and seek.

5b8b76aa181c1_f8omgitsback-1(1).thumb.jp

7:28pm HST, 10:28pm PDT. 

I have lavacam opened in a small window on my laptop and for many nights now have only noticed pitch black when I've looked over at it. Just caught it at the right 2 minutes or so I guess tonight and can confirm what Harry, Philip and John and Mouse saw the other night. Does give you pause (no pun intended, but yeah...she's paused and not pau yet).

• Upvote 1

Scott Wilson did another pass over F8 and then over Pu'uO'o and just posted these photos from that flight. The lava in F8 is still visible in this second pass. The house burning that they noticed looks to be on one of the kipukas near PGV.

5b8b7fcf752a6_scottf8-1.jpg.c89362db5e1d

Photo link, 9 photos: ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1969465079772414&set=pcb.1082547281911089&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

• Upvote 1

In the News:

Puna community met with State and Hawaii County officials to discuss future plans for Puna on Thursday, 8/30. Big Island News had this news coverage of it. http://bigislandnow.com/2018/08/30/pahoas-future-discussed-with-community-leaders/

----

Here's the Mayor's Fourth Proclamation: http://bigislandnow.com/2018/08/31/mayor-kim-signs-4th-supplementary-emergency-proclamation/

5b8b87ddb15ae_mapproclamation-1.thumb.jp

----

HVNP getting ready to reopen. http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/01/hawaii-news/hawaii-volcanoes-national-park-makes-progress-toward-reopening/

----

Hawaii County's estimate for recovery increased from $680M to $800M. http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/08/31/hawaii-news/county-wish-list-grows-to-800m/

----

• Upvote 1

Question - why is the underwater scene yellow? Sulphur? 

I also wonder if the ocean temp has dropped dramatically? 

I'd be curious to know what that eel-like fish is in one of the above pictures! 

Hard to believe that such a prominent glow can come and go. 

I wish I had paid closer attention to yesterday's mission to answer your question. I just clicked on the video and it was Live down there again. I jumped back to the beginning of the feed, 4 hours earlier, and saw this. Definitely hot vent there.

5b8c12ab9367f_nautilus-1.thumb.jpg.abae7

In the video you see the water shimmering a lot so today they found a decent seep. They held onto this shot for awhile and heard them say someone was getting ready to do another test/sample? and needed 15 minutes to set up for it. If you are around right now you can probably catch some of this by scrubbing back in the feed. 

I know they said the black was basaltic lava. Think they mentioned sulfur but also bio material. When they went to grab part of the bumpy looking material, it broke apart easily and you could see some rusty red material exposed. Very interesting. This image below I think they are taking a sample of the water coming out of the vent. 

5b8c14cf80dac_nautilus-1(1).thumb.jpg.92

Amazing how the robotics work for this type of work. In yesterday's video they mentioned they do this type of work in preparation of someday traveling to Mars or Europa for example and early exploration would be done by sampling the surroundings like this. They continue on sampling the area water and talk about going upslope a bit because downslope is a cliff and adding a marker to the area.

5b8c167f153f9_nautilus-1(2).thumb.jpg.56

They are pretty adept at noticing where the vents are (before I can see the shimmering of the water on the feed). As they move in closer it readily becomes apparent however. They asked yesterday if one of the scientists had seen a vent erupting and he said no, you have to be very lucky to catch it but he knew someone who did. They look for holes in the basalt to check temperatures.

Wish I had time to watch it live end to end but don't. Miss out on a lot of chit chat but also learn some interesting things when they talk more science. Here's some interesting branch-like formations on the lava. I know thos lava is too new to have established some of the biodiversity that you see on other vent areas around the hot spots. 

5b8c1a668238b_nautilus-1(3).thumb.jpg.07

They did mention the fish/eel like creature yesterday and I saw several of them during their mission. The one in the photo kind of dove into the yellow surface of the lava there much to everyone's surprise. Called it a Best of Shot. The yellow material was soft and yielding to it and I assumed it was going in for some nurishment of some kind. Not sure what the white areas you occasionally see are but on occasion you spot those areas as well down here. I'm very sorry I missed out seeing the video from the mission right at the shelf off Pohoiki-Kapoho with the fresh lava entering the ocean there. 

Did get to see this guy here swim by.

5b8c1e99f0960_nautilus-1(4).thumb.jpg.3e

• Upvote 1

In the News:

I thought this was a nice article on Jeff Marcus (Floribunda Nursery) and the Hawaii Chapter of the International Palm Society in today's Hawaii Tribune-Herald.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/02/features/tropical-gardening-hawaii-palm-society-to-tour-kaloko-mauka-forest-gardens/

----

Equipment and Monitoring by HVO of Kilauea: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/02/features/volcano-watch-scientific-community-lends-a-hand-to-measure-kilaueas-changing-shape/

----

Big Island Now reports that USGS confirmed some activity in F8s cone. http://bigislandnow.com/2018/09/02/activity-resurges-at-fissure-8-cone/

Story of it in Hawaii News Nowhttp://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/39011662/hvo-reluctant-to-call-kilauea-eruption-completely-over-after-new-glow-seen

----

• Upvote 1

Gabe just posted a video from today down at Fissure 10 where he says the steam is at the lowest level he has seen.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure how he managed to get up there (and CD will not be happy to see this) but these are really some amazing photos and video from inside F8. (fb Hawaii Tracker)

5b8cc1cd7faae_F8inside-1.thumb.jpg.a191b

5b8cc1cfe6195_F8inside-2.thumb.jpg.c5a68

and his video ( https://www.facebook.com/alexis.revel/videos/pcb.10155442971795583/10155442970750583/?type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

• Upvote 1

These photos of F8's lava pond from yesterday 9/1 and today Sunday 9/2 were shared by Ryan Finlay (fb Hawaii Tracker).

5b8ccd594481f_f8lavapool-2.thumb.jpg.562

5b8ccd56e6d5c_f8lavapool-1.thumb.jpg.b18

• Upvote 1

Looks like the volcano climber has also been walking on the channel.

• Upvote 1

Gabe goes down to Government Beach Road to the dry lava channel blocking the road. This is the channel that took lava into Kapoho. So amazing to see these huge 'a'a walls in the landscape. Police were ticketing cars parked there. He hikes in a bit from around there and shows the view from the 1960 flow. He climbs on top of this old flow to get a view of the 2018 channel walls. The actual hardened lava river isn't visible as it is still much higher than the surrounding area, even higher than the old flow. The 1960 flow area illustrates how vegetation grows back after many decades. The video wraps up at Government Beach Road and Papaya Farms Road where there use to be a checkpoint. So scenic and beautiful. Thankfully not everything was taken by the lava.

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens reopened today, with a few spots not accessible.   

• Upvote 1