IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

@Hilo Jason, OK so that was F24 then. When you were down there did you see the green house with the giant cracks in the yard? I think it might have been more down towards Malama than what your arrow indicates.

----

For people wondering where the wells are located on the PGV property, here's a map indicating them with the blue dots.

5b0bb0a69f666_PGVwells-1.jpg.181bc4b9eef

Of the batch being affected right now from Left to right: KS-6, 5, 4, 3 and KS-14 (the one they couldn't cool down with water).

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

If you wonder where Travis (FB LavaNews) is located, the complex he's in off Pohoiki Road is to the far left middle of map near the edge. On the video he was saying he could see F24 (all the way from Nohea St) from their green metal warehouse rooftop. He's concerned that lava from it could end up following the descent lines (blue) and spread out as it got to Pohoiki Rd. As it is F21 is the one expected to reach them soon.

5b0bb2e867e90_LavaNewslocation-1.jpg.17c

• Upvote 1

Travis (FB LavaNews) is filming live now at night from Pohoiki Road. Says F24 is moving fast towards Lava Tree Monument Park but will likely turn. Reporting lots of workers down there at PGV. Comments that it sounds like they think there might be people trapped down by Nohea. They bring up the google community map. They are seeing a number of trailers heading fast towards PGV. To me this is the air cargo shipment that landed in Kona and being delivered to the plant. I don't think Travis knows about the air shipment and I'm not on fb so can't comment to him. Said he can see the warehouse door opened up and a lot of people are scrambling around over there. Live feed is still airing.  The flames from F24 are huge and given they can be seen so high in the sky all the way from Pohoiki Road is pretty amazing to me. https://www.facebook.com/lavanews/videos/210132803110358/

Screen capture view of Fissure 24 from Pohoiki Road from Lava News' feed.

5b0bc42f99a90_LavaNewslocation-1(6).jpg.

5b0bbd7e587a3_LavaNewslocation-1(2).jpg.

Travis just got the news of the shipment. Theorizing that maybe they are planning on using the material to cover the top of the wells to prevent the lava from touching the caps.

New photo to show. Notice the black smoke that just went up. Travis said its close by and may be across from the LE subdivision now.

Lava News location - 1 (3).jpg

He says he's hearing explosions now.

5b0bbf53eb044_LavaNewslocation-1(4).jpg.

57-58 min. in, they mention that one guy who was trapped had been sleeping. I know we have a member with a house on Nohea so not good news. 

More black smoke seen. Travis says he can see and hear equipment being moved over at PGV. His live feed count has been climbing. He'll run the feed until his battery needs recharging. 

5b0bc186de374_LavaNewslocation-1(5).jpg.

Down to 11% battery so ending the feed. 1 hr. long.  He expects the lava to be passing by soon.  Video available to watch here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/lavanews/videos/?ref=page_internal

• Upvote 1

The news out of Leilani Estates Sunday has been horrible. No other way to put it. A lot of homes were lost and people's lives were in jeopardy. The following is more from Travis's live feed chat.

BTW the report of a trapped person came in from someone who heard a police scanner at 8:30pm HST. They were surrounded by lava. Travis assured people that they will drive out of there before the lava reaches their access road and definitely won't be falling asleep before they leave the area. Someone had commented that the trapped guy was able to get out with the guidance of a USGS drone and the police dept. Interesting use of drone. The commentor said the guy's name was John and he was in his 60.

Travis mentions that some of the guys who have live streamed from down there showed the lava going really fast, waterfalls falling into cracks. He had the opportunity to look over USGS's shoulder when they were looking at info on it and he said the fissure had 2 or 3 rivers coming off of it. 

At 9:30 in on the chat a commentor posted that they are saying someone else is trapped now. At 10:28 someone else say that they saw that report of a second person too. This really goes to show how dangerous staying in your house can be right now if you are anywhere near a suddenly erupting fissure.

One commentor mentions that Ken Boyer (FB https://www.facebook.com/K.BryanHI ) is doing a lot of live feeds. I'm not on fb so can't get to his posts. Ken is the one who posted that great set of photos from his helicopter ride. Another commentor said that "Ken's feed showed the lava flowing like a flash flood."

USGS pulled their drone out and packed it up because they were having issues getting internet service to connect with the drones. Interesting issue there.

At 13:23 in on the chat someone said that the scanner said the address of 133594 Nohea (that would be Nohea near Kahukai St.) had someone possibly trapped but then someone else replied at 14:16 in that that was the same addy as the previous dude, so no second person. Then another person said that right after that last save by the drone, there were several others in the same area. Another person said it was confirmed that more are trapped. The fact that people were down there in their homes and got trapped is very tragic. At 18:22 it was reported that an officer on Nohea says lava coming close so he has to pull out.

Another commentor says that "Homes on Luana Street are being taken by the Lava so quickly. It took 20 min. to reach my friends home from 2 poles away."

• Upvote 1

Here's the latest post from Mileka Lincoln on her fb page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/milekalincoln.hnn/posts/?ref=page_internal

5b0bcdd7b3fec_Mileka-1(1).jpg.54437757d6

Debra Ruffin posted to this "from what I heard on the scanner...he wasn't guided out by the drone, the rescue responders were able to locate him by having the drone remain flying directly over him, so they could see the drone, and know where he was.... they went in and got him and walked him out"

----

@Mike in LB, I hope you and your brother are paying close attention to the flows. Let us know if you evacuate so we know you are safe. With the fissure line and lava flows in the past having run more or less toward the east side on an angle, I don't think anyone was expecting it to run from what I can tell straight up the middle of Leilani.

• Upvote 1

BTW Scott Wiggers (YT ApauHawaiiTours) has a dozen videos posted from Sunday. Since I was gone most of the day haven't checked them out. But video of Makamae, Nohea, Luana and Kupono.  https://www.youtube.com/user/ApauHawaiiTours/videos

This video shows the lava flows on Nohea at 9:26am HST before the eruption it seems.

• Upvote 1

This was a screen grab from Travis' live feed.

5b0bd7ad76519_Moon-1.jpg.82bca4dc64c34f6

After the live feed above, Travis did another but brief live video feed since he was tethered to his charging cable but wanted to show what he thinks could be a new fissure. This area he noticed a little while ago with a blue methane flame.

5b0bd9f7a6eb2_methane-1.jpg.90242476aa97

He said he can now see the lava about 800 feet away.

----

BTW I'm not seeing anything but black screen from CNN's live feed from the House.

----

It's really late here so heading out. I'd suggest checking on Mileka's FB page, Travis' FB page, and Big Island Video News (civil defense) for some of the latest developments.

• Upvote 1

Don't know if you have been watching the posted feeds on Travis' fb account that I linked to above but checked in to it when I woke up. The guys stayed until the bitter end and Shane's house and the warehouse along with several other homes there were lost. I would feel better if Travis posted a message saying they made it out  okay but he seemed sure that they would. Still grabbing stuff on the way out. Did a tour of the warehouse before climbing down from roof. 

I encourage you to watch his videos -- he has been such a amazing, caring guy throughout this whole eruption and his videos deserve to be seen. But here's some grabs from his live stream if you don't have the time to sit and watch right now. All you see in front is coming from Leilani at Kahukai beyond the albizia trees with the strongest fissure visible in the distance (F24).

IMG_7599.thumb.PNG.a81d64e57f14d5e2045d5

IMG_7602.thumb.PNG.645d45df9de6714c2e5d9

IMG_7603.thumb.PNG.9fac53874593d19667e32

IMG_7604.thumb.PNG.b28e55b4435d943b8a0e0

Heading home tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll be a good luck charm and this will all come to an end.  The last time I flew out (May 6), the flows in Leilani stopped while I was on the plane.

• Upvote 2

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Fire continues closer to the warehouse and he puts a spotlight on Shane's house to show where it is. There's a truck below that will go up soon.

IMG_7606.thumb.PNG.8451f756fc6bd220cdec5

IMG_7607.thumb.PNG.dd1c616d26b782150c2d9

IMG_7608.thumb.PNG.e6a39dc7a55022edefed8

IMG_7609.thumb.PNG.ed33598865b139f3fedf9

• Upvote 1

Truck get overrun. Shane's house is fully consumed by fire. View from inside the warehouse where the Lava Ocean Tour boats would come in. View from inside the upper warehouse living space on the way down from roof.

IMG_7611.thumb.PNG.317178d39d7ba5b1b3680

IMG_7612.thumb.PNG.0b8a2fe57f6e6117e48bf

IMG_7616.thumb.PNG.f8513469ad2404296bbc1

IMG_7619.thumb.PNG.8e114d65a6a6f549c241e

• Upvote 1

Views from right before shutting down the camera and driving out. So intense. This has to have been the worst night for LE and surrounding area since this started. Shane btw didn't have any insurance. I hope people will continue to support his tour boat business especially now. He's lost so much.

IMG_7622.thumb.PNG.eca7a3acb2d78581b1f86

IMG_7620.thumb.PNG.56346a5e6ffbe5d94444c

IMG_7621.thumb.PNG.41243f72046d5f0e0df23

IMG_7623.thumb.PNG.a782f6a742c4a5e76a7ca

Once again, here's Travis' fb page to view his posts and videos. And btw just saw him post a video from Shane's boat on the ocean so thankfully the guys are all okay. And in true style on his way out Travis mentions to Shane in a post that they were able to save the propane dryer right at the last minute. Honestly, couldn't ask for better friends or employees. 

https://www.facebook.com/pg/lavanews/posts/?ref=page_internal

• Upvote 1

Scott has a morning video uploaded and mentions that he learned about some of the streets being closed. Scott says he apparently fell into a deep sleep because didn't hear any of the loud booms that others have reported. I think he's going to be shocked by what he sees come daylight if he can even get anywhere he usually goes. It's 6:21am HST (9:21am PDT) right now and I'm not seeing anything new post on Mileka's fb page or even from Big Island Video News (civil defense). I'm heading out but will be back and around some of today to follow up on stories. :interesting:

• Upvote 1

Watched the whole thing earlier. I am sure that 55 gallon drum of gasoline is gone now. It simply was too heavy to haul out of there. Not sure how much a gallon of gas is running in Hawaii currently

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

7 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Scott has a morning video uploaded and mentions that he learned about some of the streets being closed. Scott says he apparently fell into a deep sleep because didn't hear any of the loud booms that others have reported. I think he's going to be shocked by what he sees come daylight if he can even get anywhere he usually goes. It's 6:21am HST (9:21am PDT) right now and I'm not seeing anything new post on Mileka's fb page or even from Big Island Video News (civil defense). I'm heading out but will be back and around some of today to follow up on stories. :interesting:

Eerily quiet. Not sure that is good. Hope Justin can get in LE :bummed:

If I can't get in, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.  Because my street, so far, hasn't had any cracks, let alone fissures, so if the far west of LE is closed off, it's because something uprift has gone nuts and covered 130 and/or basically all of LE.  Let's hope that doesn't happen.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Live feed - Rusty the Rooster is there

• Upvote 1

New logo, Lava Rusty is part of the logo :wub:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Moose said:

New logo, Lava Rusty is part of the logo :wub:

Oh woah! I saw your post about the feed up while in Starbucks drive-thru and didn't notice it was CB that was back up!!! Great news!!! I love their chat area too. I had checked on CNN's feed while sitting in my car and they were up this morning.  However, just checked their online site now and not seeing the link I usually do. hmm.  

While on CNN's site I did see this article with video from LE resident Isaac Krakauer, who filmed the river of lava last night engulfing homes in minutes. Reports had said the lava was very vigorous and covered a lot of land in short amount of time and this video is good illustration of that and how some pahoehoe can be much faster than you think. https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/05/25/lava-flows-through-hawaii-neighborhood-orig-trnd-lab.cnn  BTW the front of that house on the left with the roof covered area in front looks a lot like Ikaika's house that I remembered seeing on the first day of the eruptions down in LE. Not sure where this was shot or if it was his house though.

• Upvote 1

Scott in his early 1st morning video said that he has cinder in his yard and on his roof. Will be wearing a mask today for particulates when he goes out.

His first drive out into the neighborhood. He passes Pomokai and they've barricaded Kahukai at Moku. 

This next one was shot looking up Nohea towards Malama. About 5:30 in to the video you get a really good idea of the speed of the lava river. He meets up with the USGS geologists and learns that the river flow is from F8 (the Luana cinder cone), which he's told has 2 parts and stretches now from Luana to Nohea. The section on Nohea is the part that is pumping all the lava out. F24 is on the other side of F8 on the west side and was fountaining a bit a few hours ago and draining into a crack. So from the sounds of this I think people last night may have been mistaken where all the lava that crossed Leilani and into Pohoiki was coming from. Without overhead video probably hard to tell from the ground with so much land covered. BTW the USGS geologists spends some time answering Scott's questions on 'a'a flows.  She explains the differences of lava flows.

Boy and I still have all of yesterday's videos to get caught up on. Hard to keep up.

• Upvote 1

the gas barrel blows

Edited by Moose
  • Upvote 1

Here's the Big Island Video News (civil defense) update for Monday morning, 7am HST (10am PDT). As the title says a destructive night for Leilani Estates.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/28/7-am-eruption-update-a-destructive-night-in-leilani-estates/

Summarizing, fast moving lava (F7 and/or 8) reached Kahukai at Hookupu around 11pm HST. Just before 4am, a F8 outbreak was 50m from crossing Pohoiki Road. Earthquakes occurred at a high rate at the Summit.

Residents should be informed of the following: 1) HELCO in lower Puna (especially Kapoho) may experience extended power interruptions. 2) Dept of Water Supply customers along Hwy 132 between Lava Tree State Park and Halekamahina Rd. may have water service interrupted. 3) as always, Residents in the area are advised to stay informed and be prepared to evacuate with little or no notice.

Civil Defense is alerting residents in Puna, including Kurtistown and Mountain View, that volcanic gases and vog are expected to be pushed westward.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose said:

the gas barrel blows

I would have expected that window to blow out. Man 8 feet high of lava flow. Travis is always so calm and I'm always impressed by that.

• Upvote 1

USGS report, of course always lagging behind the event.

Scott video (sorry, duplicate of video Debbie posted)

Edited by Moose

Scott Video at sunrise, not leaving comment, currently watching it myself

The latest Scott Video I could find

• Upvote 1

All of Scott's videos can be easily found on this YT Video page: https://www.youtube.com/user/ApauHawaiiTours/videos probably fastest way to find them. Heading off to watching a few more. While the nighttime ones are always interesting I do prefer seeing the daylight ones for a bigger picture.

BTW very sad to hear that Bill's house (Scott's walking companion on a number of his tours), is likely about to be consumed. Scott says he spoke with him and he's sitting on his porch at the moment watching it approach his area. Nice guy I've enjoy in the videos. Wish him all the best. Feels like we are losing so many residents each day lately due to their homes becoming part of the lava flow. Can't imagine how it is for residents who have grown to know their neighbors.

Edited by WestCoastGal
added comment about Bill
  • Upvote 1

google community mapping project done as of 5/28 @ 9:30am HST (12:30pm PDT):

5b0c58cb39fb6_communitymap052818-1.thumb

You'll notice the different path the lava from F8 took. You can also see where Shane's warehouse was over run on Pohoiki (Travis had said it was a massive front of lava) and also where the lava has reached over at PGV's plant.

No updates to USGS's Alert page or Maps. Sure they have been swamped with last night's action.

• Upvote 1

Hi Debbie,

Could you please give that link for the updated map. My google map says lava went right dead smack over our property. Now the new map above says it went around it. I sure hope USGS updates theirs soon.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

7 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Hi Debbie,

Could you please give that link for the updated map. My google map says lava went right dead smack over our property. Now the new map above says it went around it. I sure hope USGS updates theirs soon.

Sure, https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&mid=1CvBhH9wEeztBrqYbsGDi4YjU1k1QH5AL&ll=19.471402096547475%2C-154.90032255649567&z=17

I noticed that big gap and wondered about it. I know the area of Victor's pig house on Kahuaki is upslope so wasn't surprised to see it skipped over and turned into an island but I don't know enough about the topography to look at these maps and judge what is likely to have happened. It may be that they couldn't get in to verify how far the new flow extended so didn't get mapped yet. Either way not sure being an island is a good thing surrounded by all this lava. If you're house is still standing and you have insurance can't see how you'd be able to put in a claim and rebuild or buy somewhere else. I was also surprised by the blue decent lines on the map and the lava not following them.

Edited by WestCoastGal
added decent line comment.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, hmmm that shows the same thing as I had seen before. Different from the map above. Well, I guess there was a pretty good fire in the area on Makamae so that probably did me in regardless.

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Are you watching this from afar right now? I'll see if I can find any flyover videos posted so far today.

BTW maybe you were asking about the Hawaii County GIS maps? I've used them before. Believe info is fed in by civil defense and USGS info. Not sure which mapping is more accurate, I guess depending on time info gets submitted. Here's the link and including the map I just printed from it for others to see too. Looking at this map and the one above by google community project, for example, I'm not seeing Shane's warehouse property on Pohoiki Road, and across from Hookupu essentially, under lava and we know it is.

https://hawaiicountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3428cd9282ff431c865eb32761793078

5b0c64131596e_ARCGISmap.thumb.jpg.8f1d23

• Upvote 1

Found this Mick Kalber aerial footage video from yesterday, Sunday. Not sure from what time it was shot. I've turned up my brightness and at 0:38 seconds in, I can see some pockets of untouched land with houses still standing, although that's Victor's pig house area. Easy enough to pick out PGV and get your bearings from there. At about 1:43 in they begin showing LE residences, and 1:50 in you can spot the Community Center on Moku but then immediately cuts away to fountaining without showing the homes from there towards Kahukai. My guess would be this was filmed before F7 started overruning the neighborhood so nothing much to show at that point.

• Upvote 1

Hmm. Wonder if this could be part of the delay in getting info. USGS had to relocate to University of Hawaii Hilo due to HVNP being closed.

Best aerial video I've see of an update to PGV's plant. This is on sirens999sirens YT page with credit to Ikaika Marzo. Ikaika's fb page is not public, unlike Mileka Lincoln's or Travis Sanders', so unless someone else links to his video posts I don't see them.  Typically I try to post from the original source. Published today 5/28. Wow! That lava on the property is High. That area to the right on the plant where you see the steaming is from a water pond on the property or at least that's what Travis referred to it as last night when he saw steam coming from the plant. I believe from the google community map location of the wells, the area to the left of the pond were the pipes run to is where several of the wells are.

Really hasn't been easy to learn more about Puna Geothermal Venture from a quick search online. Few pictures and little info especially from the company itself or from Hawaii Electric. I can see why some neighbors have been wary of them not proving much in the way of information. Somewhere earlier in this thread (guess can be found by a forum search for it) I posted a report diagramming the wells structure. Might have been a paper at the University of Hawaii, but of a more technical nature nonetheless. I just locate this OpenEI site below that I thought people wanting to learn more about Hawaii's lower rift zone and geothermal production would find interesting. Well laid out for exploring. The information however was last updated back in October 2015.

https://openei.org/wiki/Kilauea_East_Rift_Geothermal_Area

Regarding electricity, Hawaii Electric will be switching and rerouting power to customers in Lower Puna (Leilani Estates, Kamaili Road, Kalapana and surrounding communities, Nanawale Estates and Nanawale Farm Ranch, Tangerine Acres, Pahoa HS, and areas surrounding these subdivisions. The work will start at 3pm HST, today, Mon. 5/28. Expect power interruptions of about an hour. Here's the full press release:

https://www.hawaiielectriclight.com/hawaii-electric-light-warns-of-possible-power-interruptions

Thanks again Debbie, yeah I'm in Cali. Bay Area. We were going to relocate there someday but I fear those dreams are dashed. Right there where the lava turns east there is a pretty decent dip and then a small uphill climb to Kahukai. Walked it many times. Our lot is on the east side of Makamae basically right where the "St" in Makamae St is on your Google map. Google, or whoever is updating that map, seems to be most current with USGS and Agis about the same in 2nd place. I'm on nextdoor as well and there's a lot of heresay and speculation but that information is inaccurate as speculation and word of mouth often is.

The updated map above seems more feasible since that is exactly where that dip is.

Edited by Patrick
Goofed on initial submission/ had to revise

Oakley, California