IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Hey, has anyone else felt like the live feed is a lot like the "Yule Log" only a lot better? We've actually started calling The CB feed that at work.

They need a guy to stick his arm in the image with a log every 20 minutes and just toss it towards the plume, that would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I'm sure there's a literature on colonization of lava flows.  Given that recent flows are of known dates and older ones can be estimated, it's not too difficult to see what's growing on flows of various ages.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Morning all! Sounds like it's raining at the House and the guys are up despite it being 5:12am HST. Think these are the CNN guys maybe. Talking about setting up for broadcast segment. Hey, really geat to see people here checking in with comments. I really start to feel like I'm a posting hog otherwise :D, plus it makes it more interesting for me too to see something other than my own posts. Not exactly like hearing crickets but maybe coquis :lol:. Please feel free to comment on any of the videos or linked stories you're seeing. Hey, just heard Rusty crowing.

Thought I'd post a few USGS overflight videos from Tuesday and yesterday. I've been hearing the helicopters during the day when watching the feed but hardly ever find video from them. These are from the USGS YT page. Not that many there, a number of videos on different subjects, and no videos I noticed in a quick look of footage listed for Leilani Estates fissures. BTW if you want to do your own maps, they have great lessons posted on their YT channel on how to use the National Map Viewer Tool. I kind of figured most of it out myself when coming up with the Fissure maps so not hard to learn. Ocassionally on the Live feed chat I've seen the coordinates of the house or certain fissures given. Well back to the recent videos.

Videos: US Geological Survey

(Tues, 5/22 F22):

(5/23, Wednesday):

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

In furtherance of comments by Moose and Justin, noticed this time-lapse Landsat views of the lower rift zone over the years showing areas of lava and then coverage by vegetation. The dates of the images are in the upper left corner so you can get a feel for the time between coverage and vegetation. 

When we were at HVNP years ago, it was very interesting to see how the desolate lava covered areas were showing life taking hold within a short time really. This was also evidenced in the Mt. St. Helens eruption zone but that was more cinder and ash flow. On yesterday's feed (and maybe John Davidson's FB video, don't recall which) John was saying the SO2 which is killing off the current vegetation leaves the land very acidic and he doesn't think he'll be able to grow anything on it for some time. I think that's likely true for some crops but surely there must be others that prefer a more acidic pH that could be grown. Been awhile since geology classes on crop rotation and amending soils but sure we have some experienced gardeners here that could chime in on this.

• Upvote 1

Big Island Video News (Civil Defense) updates:

1) Presentation to Puna community by John Peard (Hawaii Dept of Health) on air monitoring and the chemicals/particulates they are watching out for. Also mentions the Vog Dashboard--1 place to go for all the latest on these contaminents in the area.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/23/video-volcanic-eruption-air-monitoring-update/

Vog Dashboard link: https://vog.ivhhn.org

2) Presentation to Puna community by Hawaii County Public Works and HDOT about the roadways opened and closures. Location of evacuation routes and status of them. Includes info on Hwy 130 with the plates over the road (footage of the area--actually a good portion in several areas). They are working on opening up Chain of Craters as an evacuation route. Working on monitoring Hwy 11 which was damaged in recent earthquakes.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/23/video-update-on-evacuations-emergency-routes-due-to-eruption/

3) Video from 6pm HST yesterday and latest info on expected new lava ocean entry. Have to say the initial screen shot for the video is an daunting sight with the men looking a what appears to be a wall of lava in front of them. Updated USGS map as of 5/23 Noon HST included.  I noticed that the lower tip of Leilani Estates F8 has had new flow indicated in addition to the flows near Kahuiki/Leilani/Pohoiki Roads. As mentioned in the video/article SO2 levels in the lower LE area are very high and both Scott (ApauHawaiiTours) and Travis (FB Lavanews) have commented and shown this in their videos. You might have watched Travis' video I linked to where he donned a SO2 mask and drove through the area to reach a house for someone down there. 

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/23/video-6-pm-eruption-update-new-lava-ocean-entry-expected-tonight/

• Upvote 1

A lot of the activity I've been covering has been on the eruption of lava in the Leilani Estates area of Puna. The Summit has been experiencing earthquakes, strongest one I saw near Volcano last night while watching was 3.9, and ash has been a problem as well as VOG from the eruptions at the Summit. I know we have members on the west side of the island, not sure about SW side, but if people could keep an eye on developments affecting those areas and post it would be helpful to people living there or traveling to that area of the Island. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Debbie,

Thanks for all that you are doing!

This thread is my first source for up to date relevant news on this eruption. 

Keep up the great work.

Jim.

• Upvote 1

If you guys want to see some of the animals that John and David had at their house (site of HCB's video feed) photos have been added to their GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/HelpJohnAndDavid . BTW Rusty the rooster's photo is the 8th photo in case you're wondering what he looks like. And he's still at the house and there's a game plan for his evac if needed.

• Upvote 1

Scott Wiggers (ApauHawaiiTours) was back down at the end of Kahukai and Leilani early this a.m. How the view from there has changed. Very desolute and otherworldy almost with the exception of an antenna and a few remaining trees. I see those Albizia trees to the left are still hanging in there. Have seen a few trees falling down in past videos. 

I'm not posting all of Scott's videos depending on how many he posts during the day. But please check out his video channel for his complete list: https://www.youtube.com/user/ApauHawaiiTours/videos .  Here's a video from 5:57am HST when USGS approaches where he's at and he gets them in conversation.

So earlier in the a.m. Scott said he didn't think he would be back today at the doghouse view but not surprising, he was. Here's the view at daylight. He says in this video this is the last time here, but I doubt it :floor:.

Meanwhile rainy morning Live view.

5b06fd92a3692_rainymorning-1.jpg.d963aaa

Edited by WestCoastGal
Adding video and comments
  • Upvote 1

I so wanna see it in-person!! Someone on the Big Island please mail me a cooled piece of fresh lava, pleeease? :innocent::wub:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Missi said:

I so wanna see it in-person!! Someone on the Big Island please mail me a cooled piece of fresh lava, pleeease? :innocent::wub:

Taboo - It would be dishonorable and an insult to Pele.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hi Debbie... I posted early on but wanted to add to the thanks for all the work you’re doing consolidating info from all over the web into one easily accessed and viewed place! I check this thread several times a day...as a life long ‘Hawaiian-at-heart’ (at the risk of sounding sappy, have dreamed of living in Hawai‘i my entire life!) you’ve helped me feel connected to the place I feel most at home. IMO, Hawai‘i is STILL paradise, in spite of earthquakes, volcano eruptions and lava flows, or in the case of Kaua’i, extensive flooding, and I for one will be back as soon as time and finances allow!  (As I mentioned in earlier post, missed that Kaua’i flooding by one day, and the volcano activity by just a couple of weeks!  :o NO lava when I was there mid-April!!!)  Truly, every place has their issues (hellooo...hurricane central here in Florida! Lol!) but Hawai‘i has   ALOHA!  :wub:  

To all who live there, thank you so much for all your posts, photos and personal perspective. Sending you much aloha back from Florida...you all have a place in my heart and in my prayers. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks CBLisa I feel the same way. Back when I was in elementary school I was a hula girl in a school play :lol: (thank god my dad didn't have one of those "movie" cameras back then to embarrass me later in life LOL) and I remember going to one of the local big stores with my parents to see an island fashion show and talk by an actress who was in a number of hawaiian themed movies at the time. That pretty much started my interest in our 50th state. I grew up with snow and wanted nothing more than to move to a warm tropical climate. Parents nixed college there but I got there eventually. Got married on a beach in Hawaii, been there a few times, fell in love with palm trees and when we bought our house and ready to re-landscape it designed the back yard with palms (and thus found this site). Front yard is more mediterranean in plantings and only have one palm there. I'm in Zone 9 and really would love to live in a warmer zone, but our mules still remind me of Hawaii. Love seeing everyone's palm gardens here and kind of get the variety that way. One day would love to retire to the islands, we both have moms still alive so just too far to be permanently that far away right now. Do have relatives on one of the islands though. 

Moose, you are one crazy guy!! You know why!! :wub: Feeling very appreciated.

Gotta run for a while but thought I'd post this link to the USGS webcam installed at Puna Geothermal Venture (PGcam) that looks towards Leilani Estates and down towards the Summit. https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/panorama.php?cam=PGcam

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Taboo - It would be dishonorable and an insult to Pele.

Uhhh okay...well how about someone who doesn't believe in folklore send me one? :P

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Quickly jumping in to report that the HCB live feed is presently down. Went down a few minutes ago. Civil Beat is aware of the problem and working on it right now. If you have to you can see CNN's live cam at their site.--*HCB IS BACK UP LIVE.

Thought I would also add this Hawaii News Now article with video that shows a 1992 USGS map of lava risks zones and comparisons between 1992 and 2018. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38272444/usgs-map-comparison-similarities-between-1992-and-2018

• Upvote 1

Pretty interesting video from Big Island Video News (Civil Defense) showing the end of SE corner of Leilani Estates. Literally.

• Upvote 1

I need to get back there, ASAP.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Mike in LB, are you "safe" from this?  I worry about Matt's place, it sounds like it might be in the crosshairs. :(

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I would be concerned that all those huge cracks like on Moku (and the street east of it) where the house was being swallowed will eventually erupt as well. There's got to be some massive amounts of magna near that area for the ground to split apart like that and don't think it's from any earthquakes but from pressure below.

BTW for those without a map handy, F7 is part of that large lava flow within Leilani Estates. F17 is the one with the giant cone near the white house with green roof that Darry Clinton got injured at--down at the other end of the fissure zone from Leilani Estates. Think it's the most SE location. I'll try to put up a map.

OMG they weren't kidding. Never think the action when it quiets down on the feed means anything. Having a lot of trouble getting a jpg to post from the map software. It's imaging but not saving to a file I can use. Here's a screen shot of the Leilani side.

5b074a7d8aec1_Leilanimap052418-1.thumb.j

I'll see what I can get imaged for the PGV side. Now I wonder if the reporting was wrong about F17 as it's not showing Active. Maybe they meant F22 instead or maybe another Fissure within Leilani, more likely. Still having issues imaging. The interactive map keeps refreshing as I look at it. Not sure if it's constantly updating with info being fed into it by Civil Defense or what. Sorry, but here's what I was able to screen grab.

5b074bb92f097_PGVmap052418-1.thumb.jpg.9

With all that lava flowing at F22 which is likely heading south near PGV and new lava (supposedly fast moving) flowing from within LE and heading SE likely I can see why they might be more concerned about lava reaching PGV. While they are closed down and capped, depressurized and one of the deep wells plugged with that muddy mixture, it still has to be a concern to have it flow over the wells sealing them from above. Best of my knowledge from what I've read that situation hasn't been encountered anywhere before.

Edited by WestCoastGal
updated with maps and comments.
  • Upvote 1

Just checked Travis Sanders FB page (Lavanews) as he's been on the ground alot and not seeing any new videos from him and 6 hours ago he re-posted a notice from Lava Ocean Tours that cell service was only allowing emergency calls only nothing else. I did see someone's google alert map that showed a cell tower out of service. Maybe related? At that point the cell tower location hadn't been verified. I wonder if Emergency services are trying to keep the lines clear for emergency alerts to go out if they need to. I'll see if I can find anything else out about this.

• Upvote 1

The AT&T cell tower in Kapoho is being worked on; not sure why/how it stopped working.  But that is almost certainly the issue.

• Upvote 1

Update just posted about 15 minutes ago on Mileka's FB page on Leilani situation:

5b0754050dba0_MilekaLincolnupdate-1.jpg.

Here's the link to her FB page again. She has a video posted with the above. Pretty much pahoehoe lava flow. I see maybe what's an orange roof and beyond that a light colored house all the way to the left in the video but that's about it in the quick video. Very few trees left for quite some distance. While watching one of Scott's videos earlier this morning when he was driving down Kahukia to the SE corner, I was impressed by how long it took to get from his originating spot to the end there. Leilani Estate is much larger than I guess I imagined looking on the map or when I was doing a google street view before.

With regard to her included video it would be nice if people taking videos indicated where they were filming from. You can see utility wires and poles so assume this is taken on a street near an intersection. I see under her video section the above mentioned video from LE is there. Maybe you guys can see it and recognize the house. 

• Upvote 1

View now from house. Not sure if it's rainy, voggy or the wind has changed. I think maybe it's rain. I can hear birds singing in the background and the guys at the house are conversing normally.

5b0757ef0f532_viewnowfromhouse-1.jpg.c60

Now this is more like it 2:30pm HST:

5b0759404692b_viewnowfromhouse-1(1).jpg.

• Upvote 1

I noticed from Scott's calendar on his website he has a few days of tours lined up starting today through Sunday I think. Probably won't keep him from going out later and getting video from LE. He seems never to sleep. Nice to see him still booking this month. I'll see what else I can find from one of his other friends filming.

• Upvote 1

Not sure who's house this is. Sirens999sirens is in the UK I believe (and btw has authorization to post Scott's videos). The video credit is to Ikaika Marzo. This house has been shown before but from a distance until just today (think I posted another video from the yard maybe from Big Island Video News?). 

• Upvote 1

If you are interested in who and what Civil Beat is and does, here's a segment they did talking about their time at the House. Fundraising mentioned at the beginning, finishes up with Q&A. Coverage including camera set up, the owners and Rusty the rooster. Shout out to Aloha Broadband for what they've done to help stream this to everyone. Anthony shows off his lava bombed jacket he was wearing when he got hit by a tiny spatter!

Here's the direct link if it works better for you (recorded Mon 5/21): https://www.facebook.com/civilbeat/videos/1957031977662854/

Edited by WestCoastGal
added jacket comment as I'm still listening to the segment
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info about vent #7.  I've been at my house (no power) and was unaware that vent #7 was active again. It wasn't visible or audible at my place on northern Nohea St.  I guess my power won't be turned on very soon with this vent opening up again.

Mike Arends

Nohea St, north of Leilani Ave

• Upvote 1

@Mike in LB since you don't have power are you finding you're able to get your cell phone charged and have coverage when there? Are you on some type of automated alert system with civil defense? I read earlier about them being able to target neighborhood areas with phone calls. Also heard they might use sirens. Hope you've checked that out if you are still visiting the house.

BTW to you and anyone in LE, here's map that was linked to yesterday on CB's live chat. Shows the radius from PGV if there is a gas eruption from there. Nice of Ryan Finlay to create. The area marked is slightly larger than I think Civil Defense mentioned but I guess nice to have a little bit extra cushion (1.5 and 3.0).

5b07638093f5b_PGVmapradius-1.thumb.jpg.6

• Upvote 1

@Mike in LB since you don't have power are you finding your able to get your cell phone charged? Are you on some type of automated alert system with civil defense? I read earlier about them being able to target neighborhood areas with phone calls. Also heard they might use sirens. Hope you've checked that out if you are still visiting the house.

•  

I noticed more helicopter activity than usual this afternoon.  I charge my phone at my brother's place on Kupono St (1 street to the west).  My brother gets the automatic alerts from Civil Defense.  They are usually late and not very useful, so I haven't even bothered to sign up for them.  Punatalk and Facebook are the clear winners for information as far as I'm concerned.  Thanks for the updates!

• Upvote 1

I found the link I mentioned earlier of a google community mapping project for the 2018 Hawaii Island Eruption where the cell tower issue was noted:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&mid=1CvBhH9wEeztBrqYbsGDi4YjU1k1QH5AL&ll=19.455253213931353%2C-154.8972788809075&z=14

• Upvote 1

Debbie, in regard to you hoping to retire in Hawai‘i when the timing’s right, I hope that happens for you! Think you deserve a spot in paradise for all this work!  :D

Lol at your hula girl experience! I must admit to being a hula girl probably more than one Halloween.... Thankfully no videos either, but there were those photos....  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Big Island Video News (civil defense) posted this video update about 30 minutes ago. Leilani coverage about 1:05 in.

• Upvote 1

I just got a call from our renter who was standing in front of our place on Kaupili.  She seemed 100% positive it was going to get completely engulfed tonight.  Said there was a 40 foot cinder cone spewing lava in the back of the property directly across the street and there was a front of lava 8 feet from the property line advancing along the entire length of the property coming from the south.  We are just about exactly 1/2 way between Kahukai and Leilani on Kaupili street.  She said everything south of us on Kaupili is completely gone.  It sounds like it's realy picking up steam in Leilani. 

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Really sorry to hear that Matt. Sounds bad. I assume this is flow from F3. Had hoped you would have gotten lucky given how earlier that end was lava free. Is you house on the east or west side of the Kaupili? Wondering if the back yard cone is on Mahala. I know from the live feed right now down by PGV it's a bit windy and raining. I'd say the wind would be making the fires worse but realize the wind and rain probably don't affect the lava in any way. Might be worse for structures that catch on fire. Does your renter have other accomodations to go to? Can't be easy for you sitting over hear and knowing what's going on over there. 

• Upvote 1

There was a howling sound my husband first called to my attention on the live feed (I was scrubbed back a bit in the feed checking out the images on the screen) and said it sounded like wolf howling. He turned it up for me and it was really weird. I said it must be a "joke" feed and he said no listen for yourself and so I advanced and it sure was there. The live chat was having fun trying to describe it too. Hawaiian Sasquatch was probably the most fanciful description. Most likely wind passing through something partially open.

I was intrigued by the rapidly changing screen images as the weather passes through. Almost 6pm there and have been hearing the birds. Guess the croqui start as it gets dark. For those without the feed up here's how quickly within 30 minutes things can change. I've been hearing a few eruptions.

5b078e93e9e5c_Dusk-1(3).jpg.63323fb6fee35b078e94a703a_Dusk-2(1).jpg.f88ee4a0c6195b078e956832f_Dusk-3(1).jpg.0bab45b2b5915b078e9639be2_Dusk-4(1).jpg.31125d9449aa5b078e96e4fd5_Dusk-5(1).jpg.af0680c10e4b5b078e97a02b9_Dusk-6(1).jpg.a31318be5dd15b078e986bb05_Dusk-7.jpg.e2b3c5e1c5948335b078e99432fb_Dusk-8.jpg.7a682c6446f6c675b078e9b139bb_Dusk-9.jpg.96ddc130da10404Dusk - 1 (4).jpg

5b0794b7de33c_Dusk-1(5).jpg.24d95d12dac05b0794b732e32_Dusk-1(6).jpg.242a1cfbc878

• Upvote 1

Scott (ApauHawaiiTours) has some videos from this afternoon. The one below is taken at Leilani and Luana looking east. Looking at the map these must be F21, 7 and 2 from left to right. Behind the clump of lava way off in the distance you can see 2 other eruptions, possibly F14, 3 or 4. Near the end of the video Scott moves over more to the right and you get a better view of that area. No trees anywhere around and just total devastation. Guessing we're looking at close to about 1/2 mile wiped out. 

He posted another view from a slightly different location and zoomed in for this video.

I know Kalapana got destroyed by pahoehoe lava over a period of some time as I recall. Kopoho had fissures more like these from videos I've watched. I guess in my wildest thoughts (dreams sounds to nice for this) when this started, what like 3 weeks ago, I never imagined what I'm seeing here. So many homes and so many lives affected in what was a really beautiful community. 

• Upvote 1

Mileka Lincoln's (Hawaii News Now) FB page was updated with 2 more video posts from Leilani. The one posted 1 hour ago, 6:45pm HST, was taken from the same area Scott did his videos but later in the day. In the foreground is what's left of someone's house with just the roof remaining. 

https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln.hnn/

3 hours earlier she made a post (4:15pm HST) with some dramatic close up footage of lava flow. The video description includes Dr. Jim Kauahikaua's, USGS geologist with HVO, statement on Hwy. 130. “The plates along Highway 130 have been hot for quite a while, as far as I'm aware, they have not gotten significantly hotter but we do keep a check for sulfur dioxide as another sign of activity there,” before adding there has been none detected.

• Upvote 1