IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

More info on the Lava Bomb incident. Before this happened, I saw This article in The Guardian that mentioned Darryl Clinton (the man and the lava bomb) and his family with quotes from the older daughter. After it happened, ABC7 in L.A. reported he was taken to Hilo Medical Center and is in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery. A similar story of his ordeal was covered by azfamily.com (CBS 5) and mentions that his ex-wife (who is a realtor in Pahoa and I see has listings in Leilani so maybe some of you know the family) and a friend got him to the hospital. That must have been some trip to Hilo and it must have seemed like forever. I assume Hilo would be the closest medical facility able to handle this kind of medical emergency and that lava burns are not unexpected on the Island.

Edited by WestCoastGal
added comment

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Have been doing work and watching the feed in the background. Noticed someone chat about sorry they missed seeing the chunk fall off. What? So of course I jumped back a bit in the feed until I saw this...the edges of the cone were taking occasional hits with spatter...

Here one minute and then Gone!

5b04bfd90d001_HereandGone-1.jpg.e525669e

Spatter hit the left side and a chunk of it starts to fall to the left

5b04bfda62d03_HereandGone-2.jpg.56c86b88

and is no more. Time to rebuild.

5b04bfdb84b08_HereandGone-3.jpg.9d68afc7

• Upvote 1

Lavanews, Travis Sanders (FB lavanews) posted a live feed video with fountaining fissures down at bottom of Kahuiki where it meets Leilani (which you have to guess where that was at now). The PGV is to the left in the view. He says the lava flow is heading to the right towards the ocean. Scott was down there earlier today so you also have his footage of this area. The trees really are mostly all gone now and now you have a very clear view of the fissures. https://www.facebook.com/lavanews/videos/vb.200106767446295/207541070036198/?type=2&theater

In the video he says that alot of people have looked for the cat. They have a carrier and still haven't found it. Susan is there and she's going to try to coax it out now that all the people have left th scene of the car that was hanging on the crack there. I'm guessing this is the same cat that Scott has seen in his walks.

• Upvote 2

I know from experience how quickly an area can change when there's an eruption or lava flow but that video is absolutely astounding! I was in that exact spot less than 24 hours ago and the change since then defies description. Incredible! And to see several lava fountains at the same time, right next to each other. What a sight! :o

• Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

This video feed from Lavanews occured prior to the one posted above. 

Travis travels to the bottom of Leilani, this time where the gas is more prevalent. You can tell he has his respirator on. He came in on Moku but said it will soon be completely unpassable due to the cracking getting much worse. He walks down near where the fissure acted up overnight and OMG do you see the fissures beyond. He goes to check on the green house on Leilani for an owner who has gone on to his live chat. Super nice of all these guys checking in on houses for people. 

He heads to see if he can help pull the car stuck in a crack out with his vehicle and a rope. He's driving through acid rain right now. He said Nohea has lava on the road now, not just cracks. Shows a couple of houses he passes in case the owners are watching so you get a road tour along the way. All brown in this section of LE. He stops and talks to someone about helping out with capturing the house with 5 cats that he wasn't able to get to earlier. He passes Luana on his way. He's turning on Nohea. He gets to the lava in the road which has a huge wide crack in the road now. He heads back down Noeha and checks on a house for someone who's on his live chat. He's at the intersection of Malama and turns on Malama to head to the car in the roadway. He turns into the street and finds the car. He talks about Vitali offering to get the car out with a tow truck he has but they haven't been able to reach the owner. 

Travis has some issues with his phone connection. He continues down Moku and over some cracks and is then on the clean air side. He asks people for help in reaching the car's owner if they know where he is. They are looking for Stephen Schmehl who lives in LE. Any one help out? He passes the Community Center. Looks so green and normal as many of you have said. He turns on Malama where his reception is not so great. BTW the one-eyed cat on Scott's video is called Winky. He talks to Community Watch about the cat. OMG you have such great neighbors! This is a really long video and I'll add more in another post so you can see the link and watch his feed yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/lavanews/videos/vb.200106767446295/207505023373136/?type=2&theater

• Upvote 1

Same video description continued. Travis/Lavanews heads out after talking about Winky. He comes upon a Toyota that has gotten stuck in a different crack in a different section of road. He talks to someone waiting to help with the car--the owner has gone to retrieve his keys. The guy mentions an Albizia fell. They talk about Winky. A very loved neighborhood cat I'm seeing and go on the hunt for Winky while they wait. A mongoose trap??? Great view of a banyon tree. Chickens are loose along with some peeps. The owner of the car arrives and they hook up his car. Oh man this is not good seeing it hanging off the edge of the road. They determine the oil pan looks safe. No tow hook. 

Another person looking for a cat arrives. What great neighbors! Pet rescues, car rescues. And SUCCESS with the car! Good size crack and elevation change. Road could use safety cones. Travis meets Susan. End of feed and continues with the his feed video posted previous to this one.

• Upvote 1

I am posting this news link again as they have updated it with Darryl Clinton's (lava bomb guy) condition after his surgeries. Metal rod in the leg, exposed bone, well read it if your interested in hearing how he's doing and what he has to say about his experience.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/38252459/man-defending-hawaii-home-from-volcano-is-hit-by-flaming-lava-bomb

• Upvote 1

Figured I do some updating tonight. Here is the current scene on Honolulu Civil Beat's live feed. I love the dusk/dawn screen shots in particular because of the coloring of the sky and lava.

5b04f05169974_sunset-1.jpg.9e1089594fa58

Mick Kalber's aerial video was included in this morning's Big Island Video News footage already posted here, but thought I would post it separately. First off the pattern in the hot lava is stunning. If you stop the video at :31 seconds into it you will see what looks to be a few very expensive homes at the coast. They look to be untouched in the aerial footage so I was wondering why they were included. Checked google maps and sure enough one of the flows to the ocean can very near the property with the gray roof. Wonder how they will do long term. Here's Mick's 5/21 video and the map view for comparison. 

5b04f7a565120_housesatcoast-1.jpg.2347ee

I'm waiting to see today's flyover since one of the choppers flew directly over some of the fissures.

Not Mick Kalber's aerial footage but here's B-roll footage from very early this morning shot from a Hawaii Army National Guard UH-60 Blackhawk. You can see PGV with its lights on in relationship to the lava. This is an unclassified and released video. Shot by Sr. A Orlando Corpuz, Hawaii DOD Public Affairs. I wonder what kind of filter they used on the camera.

• Upvote 1

Interesting discovery I made (not really computer/internet savvy). When I click on the above FB videos from Travis (Lavanews) on my laptop, they play fine. However when I try to access them from my iPad the links don't work. Is this because the URL needs to be modified for a mobile device? 

• Upvote 1

5b044f7d67a6a_morepan-4.jpg.965eccb70e5f

Debbie- when you posted this photo, seeing how much that cinder cone has grown was truly amazing. The next astonishing thing is the white house to the left side of the image seems to be intact. No way of telling if the continual percussions hitting it has caused damage, but it is defiantly still standing. :interesting:

Edited by Moose
  • Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

20 minutes ago, Moose said:

5b044f7d67a6a_morepan-4.jpg.965eccb70e5f

Debbie- when you posted this photo, seeing how much that cinder cone has grown was truly amazing. The next amazing thing is the white house to the left side of the image seems to be intact. No way of telling if the continual percussions hitting it has caused damage, but it is defiantly still standing. :interesting:

Oh that home has definitely taken damage. Saw a good video showing it's condition. They have put out several fires, there's windows broken out, a hole in the roof, lava bombs all over the yard - some sizeable, oh and the cachment tank destroyed. Check out the media linked stories on the few posts I made about Darryl Clinton. I'll see if I can pinpoint the best video to watch. Now with Darryl out of the picture and in the hospital I'm not sure what will happen to the house because it's definitely in the line of lava fire bombs. If you missed reading this, Darryl is NOT the homeowner BTW but a friend who along with his ex-wife have been trying to save this home and another next door for their friends. Wow. Now that's definitely BFF material!

And yes on the cinder cone. I did a double take myself. Glad you appreciated the photo :).

Moose, here's the best video illustrating that house. https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/05/22/hawaii-volcano-lava-bombs-scott-mclean-pkg-newday.cnn  Also a handful of posts before this one, there's a post of mine with few news articles from Metro that show pictures of the other home some of which I think are included in the CNN video.

• Upvote 2

I posted a number of videos from this morning/early afternoon from Scott Wiggers (ApauHawaiiTours) and he's posted a number of them this evening. My husband and I watched the ones from earlier over dinner (better than tv). My husband asked me when the guy sleeps! Anyway I haven't had a chance to watch the new ones so I'll post the link to his YT video page and you guys can check them out there. Might post a few later of particular interest but feeling overwhelmed with videos tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ApauHawaiiTours/videos

The last video of his I posted to the thread here was the Leilani Estates lava flow lower Kahukai 11 am one for the 22nd.

Did not realize that this was one of the homes Darryl was watching. :huh:

Thank you Debbie :D

Watching live feed chat and saw this AP article get posted to Honolulu Civil Beat on the Puna Geothermal Venture plant.

http://www.civilbeat.org/2018/05/workers-scramble-to-seal-wells-at-geothermal-plant-threatened-by-lava/

I still wonder if the underground area that they are tapped down into can be invaded by the magma working it's way underneath and shooting up through the well casing and blowing the seals off. Can't say I've seen that scenario discussed and maybe not possible but to me if there's steam coming up already I reason there's got to be pathways to the wells and up to the surface thanks to the creation of the wells which would in my mind be man-made fissures of sorts.

I did notice the article mentions some 50 structures including dozens of homes have been destroyed. Probably the loss of ag land is a much larger dollar amount than the homes' value.

The article also mentions the levels of SO2 being emitted from the Summit, and those are 2.5 times the daily amount generated prior to the 5/3 start of eruptions and well below what Pu'uO'o was emitting. Consequences to the enviroment?

Civil Defense video news (Big Island Video News) showing a nice flyover.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/22/video-1-pm-eruption-update-lava-destroys-hawaii-geothermal-project-site/

Discussion of the anticipated impact to the budget at Council meeting and how to help mitigate some of the direct impact to homeowners and ag growers: http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/22/video-council-braces-for-eruption-impact-on-budget/  

Hawaii News Now has a very descriptive account of Darryl Clinton's leg and foot after getting hit with the lava bomb in this latest article: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38231670/after-lava-bomb-hit-him-big-island-man-feared-for-his-life  I'm surprised he didn't pass out. Video of him in the hospital talking about his experience.

This short HNN video dated 5/22 of cracks on Moku about to swallow up a home there, Wow: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14367779/cracks-continue-to-open-up-in-lower-puna-destroying-homes-and-roads

It would be nice to find some uplifting stories on Puna and the people affected. 

Thanks again Debbie for the work you're putting in to bring us these reports. This is by far the most complete coverage on the web.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Gonzer. Had to kind of laugh this morning. Husband getting ready for work and said to me. It's live. And I said what? He pointed to his cell phone and on it I could see the Civil Beats Live feed. I guess we all have Leilani and Puna on our minds.

Still night over there. Here's this morning activity, still nighttime. Rusty rooster soon!

5b056ea53e4b0_earlymorning-1.jpg.0e1161f

To start the morning off here's a USGS presentation of the Eruption on Puna. Looks interesting explaining their thoughts on lava age, flow, mechanics of the lava, locations.

From Big Island Video News: 

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/23/video-scientist-gives-puna-eruption-presentation/

Over 5K waiting for sunrise in Puna on Civil Beats live feed while enjoying the croquis and Rusty the rooster sounds. Here's the live feed link if you need ithttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtihmXFWqGo

So back in early May I came upon an article in Honolulu Magazine (05/04/18) about Lava Dwellers, those folks who chose to live on the lava. Not your more typical folks like many of our members here with residences in Leilani Estates but those more rugged individuals wanting to have lava for their yard and willing to live with the winds along the coast of the Big Island--the residents of Kalapana Gardens where lots can be bought for as low as $5K. I found the article a fascinating look into their choice to live off the land in what many would consider an inhospitable location on the volcano. Here's a link to the August 2012 article that found new life again with people following the recent eruption and asking "Why do you want to live on a volcano?". 

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/August-2012/The-Lava-Dwellers-Big-Island-Hawaii/

And while the July 2012 YT video is embedded in the more comprehensive article thought I'd add it here as well. One of my favorite persons in the video was Bo Lazoff. I got curious about what happened to him and discovered that Bo died in November shortly after the video was made and story written, in a motorcycle/car accident on Hwy 130. He was on his Suzuki motorcycle when a driver failed to yield the right of way and made a left turn onto Leilani Avenue. Yep, that intersection hit me like a ton of bricks reading it. Bo was not wearing a helmet and died at the scene. This revelation about what happened to him was just another example of enjoy what you are doing and enjoy life. He certainly looked to be enjoying his time living on the lava.

Update on the PGV well capping of the last well head: Residents were told last night at the Pahoa HS meeting that they have managed to plug the 11th and final well. Governor Ige, Talmadge Magno (Civil Defense) and other officials were there at the high school to meet with concerned citizens. Link to video and article here. Talmadge discusses the monitoring sensors for SO2 and its ability to notify targeted neighborhood residents.

USGS Alert from last night 5/22 @ 10:22pm HST (1:22am PDT) indicated that eruption of lava and ground cracking continues in Leilani Estates. Fountaining of F5 and 23 fed flows into the eastern section of LE. During the day the most active lava flow was in the middle portion of the fissures (F22, 19, 6--Leilani/Pohoiki, 5--Kahuiki/Leilani--and 23--Mahala). 

Elevated earthquake activity continues as magma is supplied to the East Rift Zone with no change down rift in their location. Only a few earthquakes occured in the rift zone.

Small ash eruptions occuring at the Summit and SW winds carrying it to places like Pahala (where I read they were experience a fine layer everywhere--growing concern especially at schools with young children).

Thought maybe it might be nice this morning to share a bit of different hawaiian experience for a change of pace other than the lava. This first YT video is from 2015 with Professor Stephen M. Sano (Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA) during his TEDxStanford presentation on the slack key guitar. You can read about his background at Stanford on YT description. Might be nice to listen to in the background while watching the live feed :).

And I thought most of us know Ikaika Marzo from Leilani Estates by now for his tireless monitoring of the neighborhood during the eruptions, keeping neighbors connected with info and live videos, and for helping to establish the Info Supply Hub at Hwy 130 and 132 for those in need after the evacuation. Don't know how many have seen Ikaika play the slack key guitar however. Here's a much younger Ikaika (2009) on guitar at Hilo Guitars. You can find a few other videos of Ikaika on his guitar on YT.

So soothing. Feeling a bit better now?

I think Ikaika, in his spare time :floor:, could host a online music benefit for Puna evacuees and bring in alot of money to help people. What do you think? Maybe someone local could text him the idea. Civil Beat could do the feed. I think I'll suggest it to them....I did. 

Honolulu Star-Advertiser ran a story on the Leilani family that lost their home due to the cracks. Article has a bit more video than what was shown on the Hawaii News Now link posted last night and also provides more info on the family. While the HSA article doesn't list the street the HNN story indicated it was on Moku St.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/05/22/breaking-news/leilani-estates-family-heartbroken-as-huge-crack-swallows-up-their-home/

Tried updating the slack key post but it timed out. I thought about it some more and added the following suggestions to the message to Civil Beat. I really hope they like the idea and can organize a benefit. Here's my other thoughts: Suggested using Paypal and even ApplePay as donation methods (I hate that GoFundMe doesn't accept Paypal, feel it is much more secure sending via internet than credit card). Also suggested that since Apple has stores in Honolulu, and Civil Beat is in Honolulu, they might possibly co-sponsor a benefit and it could be mutually beneficial for music downloads and Hawaiian music artists. Trying to help here in whatever way I can :D. Plus I love the music and the people. 

• Upvote 2

The CNN live news update page has some interesting stories on it right now.

Geologist explains lava bombs.

More on the house of Moku that's falling into the huge ground cracks. Apparently the neighbor's house behind theirs is doing the same. This would be in the vicinity of F9 which appears inactive right now. 

Helicopter pilot who flew above Leilani Estates fissures yesterday (images shown) said it's getting hard to distinguish what use to be homes and structures. Methane blue flames seen coming out of road cracks. Scott Wiggers also has 2 videos I've seen from last night around 5 and this morning around 5 depicting them as well. 

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hawaii-volcano-lava-kilauea/index.html

You can watch the feed there as well but I still think the original CB feed being the original gives a better quality image. 

Earthquaketrack.com has a nice layout for seeing recent earthquake locations and information. The ground around Volcano, HI is seeing small earthquakes 3 and under for the past 10 hours. Two earthquake have been reported in Leilani Estates during that same time frame (2.1, 3.2). 

https://www.earthquaketrack.com/r/hawaii-hawaii/recent

Been listening to the CB feed and scrubbed back to listen to what I missed as something was transpiring in the background. Kind of hard to hear plus Rusty the Rooster, the lava and the helicopters make it difficult to hear in spots. One of the owners was back in the house and was told there was a horse on their property (not theirs apparently, all of their animals, some hand-raised from birth, were evac'd out early on) and he asked someone to contact ASPCA in Hilo to help rescue it. You can tell he's stress out by seeing how the land below him is being covered by lava and sounds like he lost some other property to the lava. He doesn't know where his animals went to, hopes to a good home. He's driving down to the check point to meet the guys from CNN to escort them back to the house. Not sure who is at the house now with the camera. Man I feel for these owners. He told the guys at the house to have their gas masks with them. He said if PGV blows there could be hydrogen sulfide released and hopefully in that case the winds will be favorable to them. Very stressful situation plus having a houseful of strangers with camera equipment and such hanging out in your house because you want to show people what is going on to the land in front of them can't make it any easier. I believe he is working on packing more stuff up (maybe because of the lava moving closer to PGV) and maybe the live video feed would end soon. So enjoy while you can have this experience.

Well I saw someone on the chat post the FB link to John Davidson's video message to people. He is one of the owners of the house from which we've been watching CB's feed. Here's the link to his video posted I think just before 2pm PDT: https://www.facebook.com/john.davidson.161009/videos/10156488174618474/   As I mentioned I'm not a FB user but did manage to see it. Kleenex moments. It wouldn't come up for me by pasting this in the url of my browser. So I went back and put in the url for everything up to /videos... refreshed the browser and I could see the page. Then I went and added the remainder of the url and refreshed and there was his video. Hope that works for anyone else in my situation. A number of posts back I posted the CB mailing address if people wanted to send a thank you to the guys who lent their house for the feed.

Oh and the comment about the rooster t-shirt apparently he found out someone was selling a Rusty the Rooster t-shirt now, and well if you heard his video message you know what he thinks about that.

One other thing I learned from watching John Davidson's FB video is that while they were talking at least 2 more fissures opened up that they could see. He commented on one at the location of a farm belonging to a very nice lady who he knows how hard she worked to make the property what it was. There was a military helicopter flying around there and the guy video taping him for his FB (also who lost his house) said that it was doing infrared imaging. Anyway thought mentioning more fissures opening up was worth posting separately about in case you don't get to see the video.

Hate to see so many of my posts here. Came back to update with this from Mileka Lincoln/Headline News Now. Fissure in Leilani/LaniPuna Gardens most active and brings concern about PGV and the possibility of a hydrogen sulfide release. Setting up of 1.5 mile perimeter area during the day and 3 mile perimeter during at night for evacs. 

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38240611/as-lava-hits-the-sea-plumes-of-toxic-gas-and-shards-of-glass-shoot-into-air

Quotes from Mileka Lincoln's FB post in case you can't access it and think it's important to be aware of:

"LATEST (May 23 at 2 PM): Aloha from inside #LeilaniEstates which has been identified now by USGS HVO officials as the most active portion of the lower East Rift Zone. Take a look at the fountaining activity just off of Kahukai Street. Here you can see the lava spewing upwards 150 - 200 feet into the air. From this lava fountain you can see the back flow — this stream of lava that is not heading downslope, downrift where most of the lava has been going, but rather in the direction of the Puna Geothermal Venture plant.....However, authorities do admit that they’re not sure that the only hazard posed on the plant is from the potential release of hydrogen sulfide — a deadly gas. Though, they do believe they have mitigated that threat with their efforts to address the wells on property. Now, if in fact, hydrogen sulfide is released — they say they are monitoring and detecting the situation around the clock. They say they are prepared for a mass evacuation. They say they believe the safety is 1.5 miles around the perimeter of the Puna Geothermal Venture plant during the day, and they have extended to that to a 3 mile isolation zone at night. Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense Agency officials say they plan to handle that mass evacuation and alert by utilizing the Blackboard message services, but that they would also activate the tsunami sirens if needed and go door-to-door. They admit that there is no certainty that the only risks are posed by hydrogen sulfide...."

BTW the Civil Beat house was evacuated by the owners as mentioned above. They are now in a tent, forgot where (a GoFundMe account was set up: https://www.gofundme.com/HelpJohnAndDavid ). About 1/2 hour ago the Hawaii Fire Department came to the house and you could hear them announcing themselves. Spoke to the guys there and you could hear the conversation about conditions in the area.

On the lighter side, Lava News (Travis Sanders) shared news from Ryan Finlay that Winky the cat was found and returned to it's owner. If you saw Travis' video thought you might like the update. Scroll down for the post with the cat photos. And included in the cat post by Ryan is more info on the PGV situation (click on see more for both).

A bit more levity. If you've been following the live feed on Civil Beat you likely know who Rusty the Rooster is. People have taken to him and fish alaska did this meme of him. I like the surfboard one myself (+more photos).

https://www.facebook.com/lavaroosterhawaii/photos/a.594660280892374.1073741829.593753640983038/596266370731765/?type=3&theater

On a more serious note: 19 hours ago Travis also posted this on his FB page about Moku: https://www.facebook.com/lavanews/photos/a.200251114098527.1073741828.200106767446295/207720080018297/?type=3&theater  Looks to be in the same area as that other families home with the big cracks under her house and around.

29 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Hate to see so many of my posts here...

I've been following this since the beginning and appreciate your seemingly tireless postings/links.  Keep up the good work! :)

• Upvote 1

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Maybe this was the daytime helicopter flyover of the combo F20 we saw the other day. Mesmerizing patterns in the lava. Notice the multiple kipukas (area of land surrounded by lava flows). So weird.

Just to keep things in perspective...

Keep Calm and Hula On!

40A4F781-49D5-41A7-856B-CB5A52F25B5F.thu

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Based on some of the feed's chat comments how true Kim! 

My husband said he checked on the live feed coming home from work and it looked like it was calming down. I said don't count on it. Well  here's an evening screen grab. Look at the height on this.

5b064dddb331c_nightview-1.jpg.3b3a5af7a8

5b064e323ec47_nightview-1(1).jpg.74aa947

There was a guy who was on the chat and was concerned about coming to the island has they had recently booked like $4K for airplane and lodging and wanted to know if it was safe to come. He was upset people dismissed his initial questions and then said he had booked and had the right to ask "dumb" questions essentially because he was spending all this money. He had heard about the slump as well and guess he thought the whole island was going to slip into the sea or he'd get pelted by lava rocks or melted in a flow. There's crap comments, smart comments and needing enlightening comments so a real mixed bag. Rather eye opening experience hanging out on these things.

Not sure if Bo is around to see this but this is the palm house on Moku, house still standing, and the absolute disaster next door. I remember there was a modest looking house there and you can't even tell where it was. And look at the "slope" between the two lots. Did that burnt out house drop like a number of feet. Hard to image it was like that always. From Scott Wiggers (ApauHawaiiTours) walk down Moku today.

And these were from last night's neighborhood trips. Look at the blue flame from methane on Kahukai.

and 9 hours later a trip in the morning to the same location. Fascinating.

And blue flames on Kaupili on Tuesday.

Debbie - thank you for your continued posts. I don't surf for info, I just come here.

Judging by the amount of views this thread has, you have many that are looking but not posting.

Thank you so much for your efforts, greatly appreciated. :D

• Upvote 1

I have a newly-found respect for the little black lava pebbles I get with Floribunda plants and that I use in some potting mixes. :blink:

• Upvote 4

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

My plant-a-holic mind keeps wandering to plants colonizing the new lava. Curious if holes were augured with palms and trees planted and back filled with cinders would they make it. Lack of organic material could be a problem. Wonder how long the lava would need to sit before this would be feasible? pH levels, lots of variables?

Moose, there are literally hundreds of coconuts that have been planted in Kalapana since the flow took out the black sand beach (around the late 1980s, I think).  And other plants have taken root there as well.  Kalapana gets far less rain than Leilani does, so I think plants could be planted fairly soon after everything calms down.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos