IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Morning has come and here's a view from the Civil Beat location. You can see F8 fountaining. I think they said this location in Hawaiian Paradise Park at the coast was something like 10-12 miles from F8.

5b2d1b240560a_keaau-1(7).thumb.jpg.c5362

Here's the link to this morning's Live feed:

And from when the day was just emerging.

5b2d21e54698d_keaau-1(11).thumb.jpg.b66d

A more focused view of just F8. That height must be pretty impressive.

5b2d1c4d56148_keaau-1(8).jpg.2626f6c532d

Now looking like a golden tornado.

5b2d1ce2ca6b9_keaau-1(9).thumb.jpg.76368

5b2d1f947f1ed_keaau-1(10).thumb.jpg.6745

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

From listening to Ikaika/Philip Ong talk video, I was surprised to hear that a company has donated showers to the HUB for evacuees. So from 6 to 8 am and 6 to 8 pm, people can avail themselves of a hot shower. Wow that's pretty great and I'm sure helps people feel a world better too. 

5b2d3448b7c15_shower-1.jpg.63c9430619ae2

----

OK morning laugh. Checking out the HUB's facebook site and going through some posts and photos of people posting there. Saw this one and LOL. Road crack repair there in Hawaii and elsewhere should only be so easy!

5b2d3201eb14e_glue-1.jpg.464050268088a2d

• Upvote 1

If you want to watch Ikaika's video on the shower at the HUB and get a tour if it, click on the "View on Facebook" link at the bottom of the missing video post.

I really dislike how much blank space links from fb add to your posts. Believe me it's not me leaving that much white space ;).

• Upvote 1

We've seen some cool setting suns in California's fire areas but this sun captured by fb Moana Molale while she was at HVNP picking up her mail at the post office is pretty amazing. She said the night was falling as the vog drifted in.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214938787735000&set=gm.1008305996001885&type=3&theater&ifg=1

• Upvote 2

Police looking for a man missing inside Puna evac area: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/06/22/hawaii-news/police-puna-man-lost-in-evacuation-zone/

----

Future of Puna TownHall meeting will be held on Saturday 6/30 from 2-4pm at Pahoa High School cafeterial. http://bigislandnow.com/2018/06/21/town-hall-future-of-puna/

• Upvote 1

Scott's morning talk with humility and gratitude. Scott is up to 18,000 subscribers now. First time Debbie showed us a Scott video, I may recall his subscribers under 1,000. He has been a set of eyes of the going ons in Leilani Estates from the beginning.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Does the Sulphur Dioxide have an adverse affect on car engines and the like?

As an internal combustion engine I would say no as far as oxidation.

The gaseous vapor can settle on vehicles, but the rain does wash it off. Some of gases are said to be seeding the clouds causing an acidic rain, this will accelerate oxidation on metals. However ocean born wind has settled salts in the Puna area for a very long time. And acidic rains have been going on since 1983, the beginning of the eruptions from time to time, depending on which way the wind blows. It's part of living in Puna.

I got this from Bill Merrill (YT Green Garden Guy 1) on one of his YT videos. He lives in upper Puna at 1600 ft, over looking lower Puna in Mountainview.

• Upvote 1

Friday morning Civil Defense message

• Upvote 1

Update from Jonathan, recent stuff going on near Kapoho and Noni farm areas and about.

Published on Jun 21, 2018

Jonathan was among the group who were detained by Hawaii Police and DLNR. were there arrests? what about the 5k fine? Hawaii Volcano update for the week. Get the rest of the story in the Video, Also map analysis and commentary on the Lava flow and possible breakout points on the river.Thecodesearcher.com examines the data and the real time footage of the flow rate and expansion. area of concern for possible breakout would be the Nanawale side, which you will see in the photos is a real concern here Puna. Big Island Hawaii 2018. Hawaii Volcano Eruption 2018. Kapoho Hawaii, to The Edge of the Lava Front. Amazing footage from Jason Twillman's Hui . Hawaii volcano eruption 2018. Noni farms rd. Papaya farms rd NEW VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIjQ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzsSO...

Edited by Moose

Haven't listened to Jonathan's video yet but I heard this interview yesterday with Mileka (and Ikaika was present with her) and when listening to it was sure the guys leaving from Papaya Farms Road were talking about going to Jason's property on Noni Farms Road to visit. If you want more on the story, this will probably add to it I'm guessing.

Click ^ View on Facebook if you can't view it here. 

• Upvote 1

Quick check before heading out for dinner and movie.

5b2d98daee39c_keaau-1(12).jpg.a42e383a15

5b2d9a667d928_pgvcam-1(8).jpg.ca48659952

USGS updates:

Alert as of Fri, 6/22 @ 8:45am HST (11:45am PDT): https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Photos from 6/21: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html

Don't usually show these views that are always up on the photos area but both crater rims are so amazingly sheared clean I thought worth posting this look. Here's Halema'uma'u's rim edges after the land around caved into the crater below the other day  (photo: US Geological Survey)

5b2d9b245461e_halemaumau-1.thumb.jpg.65b

Pu'uO'o's rim edges (photo: US Geological Survey)

5b2d9b2a953cb_puuoo-1.thumb.jpg.e98565cd

Thermal Map from 6/21 @ 6am HST.

5b2d9a21ad938_thermalmap-1(1).thumb.jpg.

• Upvote 1

They moved the Civil Beat camera and zoomed to F8 for the night view tonight.

5b2ddf8c7f2ae_keaau-1(13).thumb.jpg.06e4

Here's the link for the feed right now: 

• Upvote 1

Some screen grabs from earlier from tonight from the Civil Beat camera after they switched on the auto setting. You can hear Jack (the owner) talking to Anthony about the settings and adjusting the zoom. 

5b2de3a03c307_keaau-1(14).thumb.jpg.8c4e

5b2de3a22da2f_keaau-2(1).thumb.jpg.ef14b

5b2de3a461e78_keaau-3(1).thumb.jpg.66cb4

They were playing with the setting for a bit over the phone. Really appreciate Jack and Anthony working to get us a night view.

• Upvote 1

Not staying up much longer but saw someone post the link to Ikaika's Friday talk at the HUB with Philip Ong and John. Link below. BTW Philip discusses in depth what you are seeing on the USGS Thermal Map (link below for your convenience. You might want to have a window open to it while you are listening to his talk. 

HUB Friday Talk, 6/22

USGS Thermal Map

BTW if you have wondered about Philip's background, here's a link to his Linked in Profile. Also if you have visited VolcanoDiscovery website, that's his site.

• Upvote 1

There is a new Map for USGS that just got posted, Fri. 6/22 @ 2pm HST (5pm PDT):

Map: US Geological Survey

5b2df3846a1d1_map-1(8).thumb.jpg.8605ad2

• Upvote 1

Charles (YT Doing Hawaii) does an update. Video traveling Highway 137 before the eruptions. For those of us having not visited the Puna area, such a lush scenic journey. Green dot on the map shoes where you are at. You can see the areas what they looked like prior being covered by lava.

Published on Jun 22, 2018

The June 22nd, 2018 (6/22/2018) Leilani Estates Kilauea Rift Zone Eruption Update Report.
The video is before the eruption, with the route illustrated on the map with the eruption data overlays plus update for 6/22/2018

Edited by Moose

Latest video upload from   Philip Ong, featuring Ikaika Marzo & John Stallman  

Disseminating lots of useful information, probably the best source for residents to know what is currently happening. 

Published on Jun 23, 2018

Latest in our update series on the 2018 eruption on Hawai‘i island.

Edited by Moose

Saturday Morning Civil Defense Message via Big Island Video News

Published on Jun 23, 2018

No sound if set to HD btw. Highlighting Ikaika Marzo.

• Upvote 1

Honolulu Star-Advertiser story on Susie Osborne, fellow LE evacuee, on her co-founded Charter School status.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/06/23/hawaii-news/charter-school-co-founder-looks-to-future-after-eruption/

----

Disaster Unemployment Assistance for Hawaii County residents available for qualified individuals. DUA benefits begin week of May 6 and expire week ending Nov. 10. Deadline to apply for assistance is July 23. For more info and eligibility requirements: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/06/23/hawaii-news/unemployed-on-big-island-may-qualify-for-disaster-insurance/

----

A third evacuation route shoudl Hwy 130 become impassible is being planned. Map included: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/06/23/hawaii-news/third-evacuation-route-being-planned-in-case-highway-130-becomes-impassable/

----

Lyman Museum in Hilo will host a HVNP tour through photos of the seldom seen archaelogical sites in the HVNP. Two presentations of  “Pictures into the Past: The Archaeological Resources of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park" scheduled for Mon. 6/25 at 7pm and Tues. 6/26 at 3pm. Cost $3 or free for Lyman Museum members. For more info:  http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/06/23/community/discover-the-archaeology-of-hawaii-volcanoes-national-park/

----

A townhall meeting on the Future of Puna will be held on Saturday, June 30, 2-4pm at the Pahoa High School cafeteria. Coucilmember O'hara, Representative Gabbard, Representative Buenaventura and Sen. Ruderman in attendance. Discussion on eruption, temp and long-term housing and new economic opportunities. http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/06/23/hawaii-news/ohara-to-host-puna-town-hall/

----

Final touches go into the 20 micro temporary homes at the Sacred Heart Church property in Pahoa. Some softscape materials being donated by Rozett's Nursery in Hawaiian Paradise Park. So glad to see live plants being added. Walmart in Hilo has donated pillows, curtains, bedding and furniture. Other noted contributions in the Hawaii News Now article include Big Island Electrical Service, Pacific Rim Construction, KTA, IBEW 1186, Hawaii Island United Way. Some decorating still needs to be done and village bathrooms and kitchen need to be completed. 

----

Latest confirmed County count of homes destroyed reaches 614. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38461015/the-new-normal-vigorous-eruptions-just-keep-going-on-the-big-island

----

Group rescues more than 250 animals from lava-impacted areas of BI: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38490605/groups-rescue-more-than-250-animals-from-lava-impacted-communities

----

Mumps on the Hawaiian Islands is on the rise this year. There can be complications such as hearing loss. Infection is spread through saliva so sharing food, drinks or other activies that could transmit the viral infection should be avoided. Dept of Health recommends getting vacciinated. For more on this: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38490408/hawai-typically-sees-10-mumps-cases-a-year-an-outbreak-has-sickened-100-times-that

----

Not news, but a fun video look at what flying to Hilo was like back in 1940 and 1952. Set to Hawaiian music. 

http://bigislandnow.com/hawaii-videos/watch/1699528536791355/

And one more video from Big Island Now, a 1934 Hawaii Tourist Bureau video. Nice, but "charms of the primitives" stuck out to me. It does have a video segment showing Onomea Arch, which collapsed some point after this video. We were at Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens years ago and recently saw Scott's video of the Onomea Bay right we had stood at the water's edge and I had wondered what the arch had looked like when it was still part of the landscape. Question answered! Lots of view of palms in the landscape, also footage from HVNP, Thurston tube, and Halema'uma'u (sure looked different back then).

http://bigislandnow.com/hawaii-videos/island-of-hawaii-circa-1934/1687551157989093/

• Upvote 1

Are all the people in the landlocked homes surrounded by old lava evacuated? If not, are supplies heli'd in?

7 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Are all the people in the landlocked homes surrounded by old lava evacuated? If not, are supplies heli'd in?

Interestingly, there are actually two different scenarios but I am sure that all have left, and certainly from the true "kipukas". See below,

A kipuka is an area that is untouched by the lava, but completely surrounded on ALL sides by the recent lava flows (which are not necessarily active). I am certain that everybody in the kipukas have left, or been evacuated one way or another. (A small group was evacuated out of Lanipuna Gardens last month by a National Guard helicopter - flew right over my house!)

Then, interestingly, there is a very large area, centered on Pohoiki on the coast that have lost road access but the area itself is (so far) completely untouched. These people can technically get in (there is a boat ramp at Pohoiki) but I doubt that people still live there full time even though "visiting" is certainly a possibility. I don't recall having seen any reports or comments about this area - how the residents have dealt with their unique situation. Would be interesting to know.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hey, they've been adjusting the camera feed over at the Civil Beat location (thanks to Jack, wife, son and daughter). Look at the view now!

5b2f519e240f4_keaau-1(15).jpg.1ae288a706

5b2f526102082_keaau-1(16).jpg.86bf9d28b0

Here's the link to the feed. That's Jack's son playing right now btw.

• Upvote 1

These cats were trapped and rescued down in LE near Malama St. If you recognize them and know the owner, let them know. 

5b2f56fcb6549_cats-1.jpg.9c1329fedac2788

Click on View on Facebook and arrow through photos for a close up.

• Upvote 1

Live feed video from HUB on Saturday night with Ikaika, John and Philip Ong.

• Upvote 1

Aerial footage from Mick Kalber for Sat. 6/23:

• Upvote 3

If you haven't had time to listen to Ikaika's Sat. HUB chat (posted about above) he mentions the new thermal cameras that got placed on Hwy 130 and provided the link to them:  http://ops.punatraffic.com

I heard the highway official at one of the recent Pahoa Community Meetings mention they were in the process of setting them up and realizing as they were doing so, that the thermal cameras had the benefit of actually showing the cracks below the plates and they could watch to see if they got wider, in addition to hotter. You can see this in the images from the Hwy 130 Plates 22-25 and 26-29; and 34-37 images. The site has a + key to enlarge the size of the images. Really interesting to see.

5b2f61dea7636_thermalcamera-1.thumb.jpg.

5b2f62cae3bdb_thermalcamera-1(1).thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Mick Kalber's latest video is beautifully produced.  I suspect some quality editing.  The images of highway 130 are outright creepy.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dinner and music at the HUB tonight. Such an amazing community effort here. Real model for what can be done.

• Upvote 1

Recently uploaded video from   TheCodesearcher dotcom, the YT Channel Jonathan posts his updates/discussions.. There is no narration, no date of the video, no point of view location, nor are the viewed Fissures identified. There is background talking that may be Jonathan and Jason's voices.

Having watched the entire video, I believe this to be the Fissure 20 complex. Basing this on the sounds that were unique to this eruption as observed from the original Civil Beat live feed. There was a greater roar than Fissure 8, and you can hear loud gaseous releases like what we heard when the lava bombs were being expelled. Speculation on my behalf, perhaps in the posted chats more will be revealed.

Published on Jun 24, 2018

From the Forgotten Files. The Hawaii volcano eruption in Leilani estates began over a month ago. I thought would take time to review some of the forgotten footage. This event progressed so quickly, with The once beautiful landscape changed by the hour. Now a vast No mans land. A fast moving river of lava now flows to the Kapoho bay.. Now that the Enforcement Has tightened, the accessibility to the area has been difficult for many. i thought id share some unseen film of the Big Island eruption 2018. Leilani Estates 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Bgi... new video

• Upvote 1

A 6 year old  Ben Starr

video showing the sights and Aloha lifestyle in Puna. There is some "scrambled" obscured brief nudity, please don't open video if you will feel offended.

Posted this to demonstrate what once was and that change is what Puna does.

Edited by Moose

Dane DuPont (on fb Hawaii Tracker group) posted this image from Mick Kalber's flyover, with street labels attached, from last night, Sat. 6/23. Thought this would be helpful in visualizing where things are in relation to F8. Mick Kalber's overflight video has a close up of the overflow finger at 0:31 seconds in to it: https://vimeo.com/276694728 (same video posted above 8 hours ago btw). The finger is in one of those pooled areas that they've been watching.

5b2fd1924da5a_overflightwithlabels-1.thu

• Upvote 1

The Puna Baptist Church offered kids and their parents a day of fun and relaxation to take some of the stress off of them for a few hours. Apart from the activities for the kids, the church offered other services, and a volunteer doctor from Global Hope Network was on premises. The church alliance, Puna Strong, will hold a rummage sale 6/30 at Kinoole Baptist Church with proceeds used to buy gift certificates redeemable at Pahoa businesses. Certificates will be provided to evacuees. http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/06/24/hawaii-news/church-gives-families-affected-by-lava-a-day-to-unwind/

----

Story of Dayna Kaia who opened up an acre of her farm land in Waimea to lava evacuees and how she's helped make it a place of refuge along with makeshift kitchen, shower and porta-potties thanks to donations and help from some of her neighbors. Video interview included. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38462871/she-didnt-have-room-in-her-house-for-lava-evacuees-so-she-opened-up-her-farm

----

As of Sat. 6/23, 10pm the latest official certification of homes destroyed stands at 637 with 6,144 acres of ground covered by lava. http://bigislandnow.com/2018/06/23/840-am-frequent-earthquake-activity/

----

• Upvote 1

The USGS's silent time-lapse video showing the lava boats or lava balls passing down the lava river from F8 to Kapoho, formed from portions of the F8 cone or levee breaks. This was included in the Big Island Video News brief posted above and shown and discussed at length by Philip Ong and Ikaika at Saturday's HUB talk. Ikaika pointed out that if you watch the left bottom corner of the screen you will see a few small lava breaks or overflows occur. When larger chunks of lava boats form and travel, they can become an obstacle especially in a narrowing channel and cause the lava to flow around or over it possibly leading to a diverted flow at that point.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Moose said:

Recently uploaded video from   TheCodesearcher dotcom, the YT Channel Jonathan posts his updates/discussions.. There is no narration, no date of the video, no point of view location, nor are the viewed Fissures identified. There is background talking that may be Jonathan and Jason's voices.

Having watched the entire video, I believe this to be the Fissure 20 complex. Basing this on the sounds that were unique to this eruption as observed from the original Civil Beat live feed. There was a greater roar than Fissure 8, and you can hear loud gaseous releases like what we heard when the lava bombs were being expelled. Speculation on my behalf, perhaps in the posted chats more will be revealed.

From the Forgotten Files. The Hawaii volcano eruption in Leilani estates began over a month ago. I thought would take time to review some of the forgotten footage. This event progressed so quickly, with The once beautiful landscape changed by the hour. Now a vast No mans land. A fast moving river of lava now flows to the Kapoho bay.. Now that the Enforcement Has tightened, the accessibility to the area has been difficult for many. i thought id share some unseen film of the Big Island eruption 2018. Leilani Estates 2018.

Not sure where exactly this first earlier video was shot from but definitely on the PGV side of the flow as there aren't any fissures on the Noni Farms side where I know Jason's farm is. Suspect they crossed over Hwy 132 to film and this could be from any of the early fissures around PGV by Lanipuna Estates in the fields there or further down around 16-22 in the agricultural fields down there. In the second video he says most of the footage was film from LE, so I'm thinking that looks like from what became the kipuka area at Kahukai. In one of the videos you see the little red-ish roof and antenna. Think that's on Victor's property (Scott's pig house). Wow so weird to be seing trees. Have to admit I get all twisted around location wise trying to figure out filming location and without a date reference or other identifiable structures or landmarks. I think this is F8 in the background at least in the 1st video.

• Upvote 1

Civil Beat feed is up live again. Looks like a rainy morning.  

5b2ff5177e7a7_keaau-1(17).jpg.5c02f01564

Live feed link:

• Upvote 1

The Hawaii County Civil Defense Flickr account has two new albums recently posted. Nice clear day for both album photos. You can click on the album link for more photos and videos.

From the June 17 album, one of the two of the new ponds.

A upwelling caused by hot lava under water causing the cold water below to rise up.

06/17/18 Kilauea, HI - East Rift Zone Eruption Event

And from the June 19 album. F8 from the eastern side of LE

06/19/18 Kilauea, HI - East Rift Zone Eruption Event

You can still see the straight line of steaming fissures from F8 heading NE.

Many of the album photos including this one inside LE show the lighter gray recent lava breakouts that have occured from the lava river.

Below of the Y intersection, one of the locations for a view platform that has been proposed as a potential site. It's been pointed out that it's at an elbow bend in the river and as evidenced from this photo a location where a river breakout can occur.

I love this photo:

One thing I kind of miss seeing that they don't seem to fly over any more for updated photos of is F17. :(

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Moose said:

The second video actually I found he had posted the majority of back on May 23 under his own TheCodeSearcher dotcom YT account.

His description there says this:

"You havent seen footage like this Obtained from local pilot on scene. TheCodesearcher.com given EXCLUSIVE Shots of EPIC LAVA FOUNTAINS all along the fissure chain. see first hand the progression of the eruption over 2 days of reporting. this video goes back a few days and documents the Progression of the eruption. for the most part these are birds eye view with minimal lateral movement. this footage was shot by a professional team with several spotters on the ground. everyone involved had legal access to the area. no laws were broken obtaining this footage. this was passed to me via flash drive"

Definitely recognized PGV on the left and I now agree this is the 16-20 area fountaining. You can see Kapoho Crater (Green Mt./Green Lake) in the distance. And the fact this fountaining fissure is to the south of where the Cell tower is (where Civil Beat John/David's house is) means it can't be F17 as I thought it might have been. It really is kind of nice to go back and see these fissure when they first started to "sparkle" from seemingly small openings in the ground. Definitely drone footage. And all of the fissures near PGV, no F8 in the camera lens at all.

• Upvote 1